• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Worst Manga You've Ever Read

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LPMtheAWESOME

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Flesh for the Beast. Seriously, that had the dumbest dialogue I've ever heard and as scary as running into a brick wall.
msi435

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 7:22 pm Reply with quote
For me it was the FLCL manga... they tried to recreate the wackiness but it didn't quite work....

Quick Q: What came first for FLCL the manga or the anime (I'm pretty sure it's the anime I’m just not positive)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dranxis

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
For me it was the FLCL manga... they tried to recreate the wackiness but it didn't quite work....

Quick Q: What came first for FLCL the manga or the anime (I'm pretty sure it's the anime I’m just not positive)

The anime came first, and was then adapted to a manga. And yes, the manga was much less funny and crazy than the anime was. However, it expands on the weird symbolisms from the anime (though it's more confusing, and takes some consideration). For that reason I kind of liked the manga, because I found the anime's metaphors so fascinating after the funny craziness wore off. The manga offered a different look at them. But otherwise, the anime's far better...

As for the worst manga I've read, I've never read anything atrocious but the one I've liked the least so far was Kare Kano. I was really put off by the art, the characters were monkeyish and looked terrible in profile. The layouts were messy and wasted extra space. And I didn't like the pacing at all: it felt too much like a short story to be a long series. If it weren't for the relate-able characters, I would have shut it after the first ten pages...
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:18 pm Reply with quote
I've not read any manga that I really hated reading, but the manga I've disliked the most would have to be The Mythical Detective Loki Ragnarok.

I thought the first volume was simply all right in recollection, but I thought the second volume was just plain bad. The characters and their relationships to each other continued to be exceptionally hard to keep track of, and the events were so random and awkwardly placed that I was litterally lost the last half of the book, re-reading parts to see if I could figure out what was going on, just to not get it period and uncovering more things that I didn't understand.

Loki's actions made little sense to me. The story made little sense to me. The location made absolutely no sense to me, and the pacing was just ridiculous. I didn't enjoy my time reading it.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:41 pm Reply with quote
GoodLuckSaturday wrote:
I've not read any manga that I really hated reading, but the manga I've disliked the most would have to be The Mythical Detective Loki Ragnarok.

I thought the first volume was simply all right in recollection, but I thought the second volume was just plain bad. The characters and their relationships to each other continued to be exceptionally hard to keep track of, and the events were so random and awkwardly placed that I was litterally lost the last half of the book, re-reading parts to see if I could figure out what was going on, just to not get it period and uncovering more things that I didn't understand.

Loki's actions made little sense to me. The story made little sense to me. The location made absolutely no sense to me, and the pacing was just ridiculous. I didn't enjoy my time reading it.

The problems arise since ADV didn't license the first half of the manga, and you are reading the sequel to Mythical Detective Loki. This happened because the sequel was handled by a different publisher. My understanding is that Enix no longer holds the rights to the orignal, and that the rights reverted back to the manga-ka. I've heard that if you've seen the entire anime series first, you can make sense of the manga. Even if that's the case, there is bound to be a great deal of content missing, since the transition from manga to anime is frequently different.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Daniee78

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:41 pm Reply with quote
The FLCL Manga. The anime is one of my favorites, but the manga is just crap Mad
darkhunter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:49 pm Reply with quote
I made a thread similar to this a while a go. You can see what some of the other forum have to say.

And I have to agree that Loki was bad, even if it did make sense, the character wasn't appealing at all.
milcor1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Battle Royale. There's probably something worse I've read but it's been exorcised from my mind and I don't want to remember what it was but Battle Royale is the most recent crappy manga I've read so I'll go with that. Excessive art bordering on disgusting, cliche and repetitive chapter plots, and other things that make this the extreme suck master.
Suikoden6880

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Well, the worst manga I've ever read (so far) was Diabolo. It had such a bad ending. Also I would have to go with Marmalade Boy...in my opinion, it sucked.
ryokoalways

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:35 pm Reply with quote
I've read some utter crap in the past.

Most recently, Tokyo Underground is probably the worst. Very cliche story, not to mention the dullness of every single scene. There is no substance in the art.
Gemini Angel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Brain Powered. I couldn't even get through the second volume it was so bad. It made zero sense first something happened and then it says something like 1 year later then it happens all over again either I got a bad copy or they repeated a chapter purposley.
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:56 pm Reply with quote
The worst magna I've read was Chobits. I got it on my 10 birthday and the minute I saw the cover I hated it and I knew I would hate it. I thought the ending sucked because chi never made up with whatever that boy's name was and there was realy now action or comedy in it. Well good comedy. It was just romance and I didn't think the plot was good at all. Chobits, the magna, to me sounds like a ripped off book copy of the anime movie Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:56 pm Reply with quote
That's interesting. I thought Chobits was CLAMP's best work. It can't really be the worst ever, can it?
For me, I guess it would be a manhwa known as Kill Me, Kiss Me. Lucky me I didn't buy it. It's got some really bad art and dialogue. And the story is too similar to others. I think Hana-Kimi does a better job. (They aren't exactly the same, but still.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cloe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:20 am Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
For me, I guess it would be a manhwa known as Kill Me, Kiss Me. Lucky me I didn't buy it. It's got some really bad art and dialogue.

I completely agree with you about the art of Kill Me, Kiss Me. I haven't read it, but it just looks too poorly drawn for me to seriously become interested in it. On the flip side, Princess Ai has really pretty art and smart character designs, but the story is just SO dull to me. I don't connect with any of the characters at all, and Ai seems more like a stuck-up brat than a leading heroine. And the whole goth-fashion thing with rock music just makes me roll my eyes and sigh with aggravation. Plus I just don't like Courtney Love.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Coffeeman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:12 am Reply with quote
ShinobiX wrote:
The worst magna I've read was Chobits. I got it on my 10 birthday and the minute I saw the cover I hated it and I knew I would hate it. I thought the ending sucked because chi never made up with whatever that boy's name was and there was realy now action or comedy in it. Well good comedy. It was just romance and I didn't think the plot was good at all. Chobits, the magna, to me sounds like a ripped off book copy of the anime movie Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence.

You admit to disliking Chobits from the moment you saw the cover. That in itself speaks volumes about whether or not you can tell if it was the worst manga you've ever read.

Also, wasn't Chobits completed far in advance of Ghost In The Shell 2?

Anyway... Chobits did have comedy, but it was centred around "Chii didn't understand what that was for... Hahaha!" and naturally it didn't have action; because it's not about action.

As for Chii reconciling with Hideki... Or rather, Hideki reconciling with Chii... Doesn't that happen in volume 7?

Anyway, I wasn't much fond of Doubt, but it's not bad. To me, one of the worst was probably Mahoromatic. I found it very difficult to enjoy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 21