• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Worst Manga You've Ever Read

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Meyham

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:55 pm Reply with quote
I looked through Wedding Peach once because I heard the anime was horrible and I wanted to see how bad the manga was. Well, it was bad too. At least the translation anyway, they all talked like valley girls from the 80s. NEVER AGAIN.
Swissman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:35 pm Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
Panku Ponk: Released by Studio Ironcat, this one is targeted straight to kids, but it's so dumbed down I can't imagine any child actually enjoying it.

I know why, because it was really zanny and had a lot of references to and parodies of shoujo manga. It's a silly shoujo gag-manga for young girls, much like Akazukin Cha Cha. IIRC it's actually a small classic in japan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Levitz9

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Battle Vixens, a.k.a., 'Ikki Tousen'.

Fanservice is okay. Having at least one panty-shot per page and one frontal-female-nude-scene per chapter isn't. If you're gonna make a series that's so bloody graphic, make it a hentai, so we don't expect a story from it.

Speaking of, this thing tries to pass itself off as being based on The Romance Of The Three Kingdoms! WTF?! Hakufu's got some old general's fighting soul in her, but she's more preoccupied (sp?) with c****ing from punching guys, and showing off her rack.

Another thing: Black Cat and Buso Renkin are two of my favorite manga...

I find Black Cat to merely be sort of similar to GetBackers, but I like it because it's lighthearted and not as gritty as GB. Buso Renkin I like because of the random comedy. Sure, Vol. 1 was normal, and Volume 2 was slow as hades, but it really picks up in Volume 3. It's no Ruroni Kenshin, but I prefer it to Naruto any day of the week.

Oh, and I really like Chobits, as well. I really relate to Hideki. Still, to each their own.
Momoko_Yumi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:49 am Reply with quote
"Dragon Girls" (in Japanese called "Ikki Tousen"). Silly Story. It was really dissapointing.
Arcanite Champion

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:23 pm Reply with quote
For me it would probably have to be Ai Yori Aoshi or Scrapped Princess. Both had the same problem. I like to read manga that's funny, or charming, or romantic, or thought provoking...or is anything that its supposed to be. In both Ai Yori Aoshi and Scrapped Princess, the comedy wasn't funny, the romance was pretty shoddy, the dramatic parts weren't dramatic, the characters were unrealistic, and the storylines weren't even adequate enough to make up for their faults.
I didn't FEEL anything from them, so to me, there's no point in reading them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:57 pm Reply with quote
I loved the Scrapped Princess anime and I'm enoying the novels, but after a quick glance through the first volume of the manga, I decided I had absolutely zero interest in reading it.
dambuilder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:11 pm Reply with quote
To my dismay, I was recently remembered of a manga, that must easily be the most disgusting comic ever created: "Cutie Honey '90". Yup. The 90's remake of Go Nagai's classic manga (which was pretty gross itself.)
Oooh, just thinking of some of the twisted things that went on in this... *thing* makes me want to throw up. Yuck.
I wish I would have never been reminded I actually owned that piece of crap.
jgreen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:23 pm Reply with quote
dambuilder wrote:
To my dismay, I was recently remembered of a manga, that must easily be the most disgusting comic ever created: "Cutie Honey '90". Yup. The 90's remake of Go Nagai's classic manga (which was pretty gross itself.)
Oooh, just thinking of some of the twisted things that went on in this... *thing* makes me want to throw up. Yuck.
I wish I would have never been reminded I actually owned that piece of crap.

Oh yeah, that series was GARBAGE. I've enjoyed many a Go Nagai anime series, but his two manga that have been brought over stateside (Cutie Honey '90 and Devilman) both left a LOT to be desired. CH90 in particular brought fanservice to all new levels, especially when Kekko Kamen showed up....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Rena_Ryuuguu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:07 am Reply with quote
Worst thing was the newer InuYasha books. The plot is WAY to streached out and killed my intrest in the series. No offense, InuYasha fans!!!!
Mistress9
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Meyham wrote:
I looked through Wedding Peach once because I heard the anime was horrible and I wanted to see how bad the manga was. Well, it was bad too. At least the translation anyway, they all talked like valley girls from the 80s. NEVER AGAIN.

This is one of the only times I found the anime better then the Manga, not that Wedding Peach is the most wonderful anime out there, but it's pretty cute and if you go into realising that it's basically just a cheap rip off of Sailor Moon it's all good. But yeah I agree with you I only bought the first volume of Wedding Peach Manga and the only reason I am keeping it is because Jama P look so utterly adorable in it, other then that I really don't see a reason to continue.

I bought this Yaoi anthlogy called Jboy and other then maybe three or four stories in it, the whole thing is nothing but Shouta(young boys you know what I mean) and well I really hate that side genere of Yaoi so hence I was really disapponted with this anology. Then again the two clear Ouran ripoffs in the manga were love so it was worth it in the end just for those. Anyways I am going to make sure I flip threw it before buying the next volume or at least ask the Sales people if its nothing but Shouta.

Oh and I personally love Angel Sancutary. I really liked how complex the story is and how it gives harsh conquences for the whole forbidden love between Setsunna and Sarah- If anything that was the one thing that almost turned me off of Angel Sancutary but eventually I got over the whole ICK factor and really started to enjoy the Manga. The art is amazing and the story is so immersing.

I absoultely love love love Ouran High School Host club- I actually think the art is quite nice-nothing close to the beauty of Angel sancutary but it's nice. The characters are all wacky and fun but I do agree with the notion of Haruhi being boring and dull-I am not too fond of her. I love the twins and Tamaki though. What I love most about this manga is that it seems to take every Shojou cltique and makes fun of them.

OMG Monster is also the best Psychological thriller I have read, it's soo goood. I really like the complexity of it all.

Oh Aylinn: Could you please next time use Spoiler tags- I just started to read Ceres and I really liked it so far but now that you have informed us all that spoiler[ Everyone triest to rape Aya even Ari] I don't know if I want to finsh it, not because of what happens but because I know a major plot spoiler I didn't' want to know.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Mistress9 wrote:

Oh Aylinn: Could you please next time use Spoiler tags- I just started to read Ceres and I really liked it so far but now that you have informed us all that spoiler[ Everyone triest to rape Aya even Ari] I don't know if I want to finsh it, not because of what happens but because I know a major plot spoiler I didn't' want to know.

Oh sorry
Don't worry, it isn't the biggest spoiler from Ayashi no Ceres, read if you like it.
Mistress9
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:
Mistress9 wrote:

Oh sorry
Don't worry, it isn't the biggest spoiler from Ayashi no Ceres, read if you like it.

Okay cool..thanks sorry to seem so grumpy as well I am usually a spoiler whore but I have been trying to stay spoiler free. An amv ruined deathnote for me, and they didn't have spoiler tags either. Sad

Now that I am spoilerd OMG why did he do that?
Not a Jellyfish

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Mistress9 wrote:
Now that I am spoilerd OMG why did he do that?

You'll just have to read and find out now, won't you? Wink It's an excellent series. If you intend to read it at all, I suggest not finding out any more about it and going to buy it immediately. It's one of Yuu Watase's best.
Nerv1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Peace Maker Kurogane. It was pretty boring and it didn't even really explain what the plot was. The horrible art made it even harder to understand and the characters were hard to tell apart. It seemed that the creator tried to copy Rurouni Kenshin with the stupid jokes and dumbass characters and don't even make be bring up that pistol wielding samurai dude.

Yay! 200th post!
BaitoWare

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:04 am Reply with quote
Shinobu Kokoro, definitly is the worst I have ever read. Some of the drawinging were really good and then others looked like they were drawn by someone who knew nothing of the human anatomy. I also hated the story in general (probably more then the art work) it was just one odd and compleatly unlikely occurence after the other so it was really hard to get into, for me at least.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 21