• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Worst Manga You've Ever Read

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SinnerTim

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 7:48 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if anyone's mentioned it, but Ichigo 100% has got to be the worst. it's long, and basically goes nowhere. The characters are generic and weak, the plot is generic and weak, and did I mention that it goes nowhere?
Lunarose

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Yu-Gi-Oh. The manga-lized version. Oh my. I think it's safe to assume that we all know what Yu-Gi-Oh is. Whether at one point where you've seen the original anime, GX, or the mind rot 5Ds or something. The biggest card game franchise ever to exist in anime card industry history, right next there to Pokemon.

Me being curious one day, I saw a whole rack of the manga, all the way to at least volume 23 (skipping a few) at the library. So fatefully, I felt sorry for it and picked up the first volume, and took the poor thing with me to read at home, cradling its plastic library bag carefully, wondering what lay ahead in its tragic tales.

I ended throwing it across the room.

For one thing, there was a huge difference. All the guys were perverts. Even Yugi. Yes, innocenct lil' Yugi. In the first volume, everyone kept trying to flash off Anzu's underwear (Panty Plank? What?) This was totally weird for me, since I know I definitely did not see this in the anime. After that, they were done with those jokes and moved onto the actual plotline (And you know what that's like). Later on, I can see why they were laying on the fanservice. From at least volume three on, the only female protagonists are Mai and Anzu. That's it.

What also threw me off was that even the ADULTS dueled like crazy (*coughBanditKeithcough*). Of course, this occured in the anime, but c'mon, that was the anime, where kids ate up every word. The manga was just ridiculous.

All I can say is, things like Yu-Gi-Oh give manga a bad name. A really, really bad name (As if dubs do enough damage already).
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:07 pm Reply with quote
The worst manga I've read as of now has to be none other than Bleach.

Now before anyone decides to attack me in a fanboyish defense of it I am saying it is the worst for its genre. There are obviously worse manga out there but Bleach is by far the worst Shounen manga I have ever read and am still reading (note that my opinion may change depending on where it goes but as of now it is the worst that I have read).

The series really doesn't have many if any redeeming points that place it above any other Shounen series I have read.

Now before anyone can possibly say anything nasty about me or at least think it, I made this current forum account 3 years ago back when I immaturely thought it was the greatest thing ever. Oh how things have changed and now my username serves as a reminder of how naive I was 3 years ago.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, I don't think I've yet to read anything soul crushingly bad, but I've read my share of sub-par stuff to be sure, most of it being stuff that I know other people like a whole ton but I honestly don't care for in the least, so please refrain from crucifying me.

I'll start off with Ranma 1/2 of all things. Now, this is an unusual case, Ranma 1/2 practically got me into manga and in fact I adored it for a good few years there and if you asked me what my favorite series was, I would've been sure to tell you "It's Ranma 1/2". And then I read Maison Ikkoku. That was it, I could just never pick up a Ranma 1/2 book again when compared to the glow of near perfection that Maison Ikkoku was giving off right next to it! So, I still recommend Ranma 1/2 to people trying to get into manga, but it's just nothing compared to Maison Ikkoku, I actually dislike Ranma 1/2 because the series that Rumiko Takahashi made just before it outshined it so completely, it was like comparing apples to rotten oranges. And ever since then, I've been in such disbelief that she made Ranma 1/2 because the creativity in the jokes in Maison Ikkoku were just so good, it's like the life in Ranma 1/2's jokes just went out immediately and it felt like I was reading the same obvious joke 15 times instead of reading 15 subtley integrated and far funnier jokes.

Tokyo Mew Mew certainly deserves to be on my list, even though it was the first manga I ever read. I don't necessarily think that every series I seemed to pick out when I was first starting was junk, but when you look at a pile of rotten apples and you have never seen a fresh apple before, how are you supposed to know any better? And then of course I saw Princess Tutu many a year later and saw how magical series are supposed to be done properly, and it only made me dislike this series more. Well, TMM's plot was predictable as anything, their attacks were lame, the whole premise was kinda iffy, it was just painfully mediocre. 4Kids getting a hold of it certainly didn't help (although by then I was done with the manga and sold them off in high school).

Now, Peach Girl is practically a staple of shojo drama-romance series and for the very reason that most people like it, I dislike it. I understand that the entirety of the drama present in Peach Girl is exactly what some people want, I sold my books off to a shojo fanatic friend of mine and she enjoyed them for that very reason. I'll admit, it would've been fun for me had the series been much shorter, I kinda liked Sae and her mean spirited teenage angst that drives her to be the biggest [expletive] posible but not when she's mean for the umpteenth time while Momo still does nothing to end her "friendship" with her. So, honestly, this series kinda just drove me up the wall after a time, but the problem is, especially when you are first starting off with manga, that if you go to a bookstore and, heaven forbid, find a competent employee to recommend you manga, if you are a boy they will hand you DBZ, but if you are a girl, they will hand you Peach Girl. I was so much happier the instant I discovered Seinen and Josei. That's certainly not to say I hate all shojo though, I've found a few I like, emphasis on few.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
That's certainly not to say I hate all shojo though, I've found a few I like, emphasis on few.

I know what you mean. I like shoujo, but the shoujo I like are series western shoujo fans rarely read. Swan, Banana Fish, Basara... I quickly learned I can't stand stuff with tons of teen drama. I also don't get Fruits Basket. I tried reading it multiple times, but I just had to give up after 100 pages or so. I've actually bought and sold the first volume three times.

Anyway, worst manga I've read: Judas

I picked this up for free at Boekenfestijn thinking it could possibly a semi-interesting horror manga or something. The cover looked cool and it was free, so all's well, right? Nope, wrong. It was page after page of STUPID. The story was all over the place. First there are some slapstick moments and then a bunch of people die and everything gets serious and you're supposed to be sad and then characters start joking about how the main character lost his penis, because he was a boy at first and then he turned a girl for some reason and... Well, it's just very stupid in a completely unfunny way.
ReiClone88

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Kaze Hikaru, but if you consider OEL to be manga (I don't), then Atomic King Daidogan.
Wooga

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:06 am Reply with quote
ReiClone88 wrote:
Kaze Hikaru, but if you consider OEL to be manga (I don't), then Atomic King Daidogan.

Wait..where did you get a copy of Daidogan?
Key

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:57 am Reply with quote
ReiClone88 wrote:

Explaining why you find it to be the worst is required under forum rules. Future posts lacking such explanations may be deleted. (And this warning applies for everyone, not just the person I'm quoting here.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:46 am Reply with quote
Dranxis: I was disappointed w/ Kare Kano, too, because I expected more funny, like the clip of the anime I saw, and it's melodramatic as hell.

Coffeeman: GITS 2 was probably in production around the same time as Chobits started, but the movie borrowed material from the GITS manga which preceded Chobits.

kolibri: Worst art for me is Descendants of Darkness, which makes me wonder how they were able to come up with such a quality production in anime form. As for Gravitation, I'm only starting on the TP collections after having seen the show. But so far, the characters are actually pretty similar to people I've known and acted like in real life when I was younger. And while it's true not all people, or even most people are so air-headed and easy-going as the ones in Gravitation, there are many of them out there. I think if you read it from the perspective of a free spirit, rather than a realist, you'll enjoy it more.

slick: I hear you. The only Shirow manga I can stand and even enjoy is Dominion. Everything else is his characters discussing techno-babble while solving crimes.

Kagemusha: HxH would be interesting if I could relate to the characters better.

Shonen bat: Except that BBM is boring and hindered by boring leads, while Gravitation is light-hearted and filled with interesting
characters. And this is from someone who liked Ang Lee's Hulk.

Katchan: I was also going to re-iterate Bomber Girl for its inability to come up with a friggin' plot, even by b-movie standards, but I'm considering Haruka, for not just ripping off FY, but for having the worst "filler" I've ever seen in a series.

Oh, and Batman Death Mask. If the author can draw the villains in the series, why do I want to waste time seeing Batman fight some loser with a sword in their place? Nemuri Kyoshiro rubbed me the wrong way for being misogynist in tone, but the movies might make me revisit the series, if it ever gets re-licensed. Most incoherent manga I've read, though, would have to be Kabuto.

Joshua: By hentai standards, My Balls is actually entertaining in the sense that it's creative in keeping the story going as long as it has. But by regular manga standards, it's definitely a one-trick pony.

aya: It's not so bad. Compared to some of the harem anime we have nowadays, Bomber Girl could be used as an educational guide. Laughing

Zetsuei: I know how you feel. Recca's also a "hybrid", which is why it didn't take off very well here. But BC works for me, because the characters are still fun in their own right. As for Monster, I stopped reading when the doc admitted he cheated on one of his tests, because it undermines the whole point of his character. As for I"s, I think what's more disappointing is knowing that the guy's other manga, VGAi, has some of the same repetitive moments after the anime.

Clover: I agree. Reborn! could have been so much cooler, if it didn't end up being about bringing the entire gang together in every friggin' chapter.

jgreen: I dug the American version of Devil Man, because it felt like one of those indie comics where the artists and writers don't even care that they could lose money to the superhero crowd; so they just write whatever they feel like, instead.

Sinner: Didn't have much interest in Ichigo, either, but I do like the fact that, from what I've seen, the girls have their own interests, too.

zawa: I didn't start hating Ranma 1/2 until it became about the girls/stalkers interested in Ranma.

Luna: I didn't start getting bored of YuGiOh until the third arc, which is more about pointless flashbacks than it is about the games. But I can understand your thoughts about it being absurd. I used to make fun of it, too, up until a certain point in which the characters do start to grow. But GX is just crap. It's basically official fan-fiction, and that's about it.

Rei: Yeah, Kaze Hikaru has got to have some of the most obnoxious and boorish characters I've ever seen in a manga. And I've read One Piece.
bigheart711

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:34 pm Reply with quote
A tie between Gatcha Gaca (Tokyopop) (Not to be confused with Gaca Gaca from Del Rey) due to overused morals and all the shitty characters, except for the twins of that manga (of which I can't remember), and Sengoku Nights for the bad plot development. Sorry if I misspelled anything.

EDIT:Make that a three-way tie because Boys Over Flowers Volume 1 pissed me the f%&k off!
Facesforce

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Decedents of Darkness
I only picked up volume four but the actual permissive to the entire novel was Yaoi.... And that was my entry into buying a much better manga known as Death Note. I was appalled, but I found the format fascinating...
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:42 pm Reply with quote
For me, it was Banana Fish because of 2 things: WTF title and finding out it was yaoi.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Ctimene's Lover wrote:
For me, it was Banana Fish because of 2 things: WTF title and finding out it was yaoi.

Title makes sense if you actually read the manga and just because two main characters may or may not be interested in eachother that way does not mean it's yaoi.
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Ctimene's Lover wrote:

While I can agree on the WTF title (it was basically an obscure literay reference), I do not agree on the yaoi part. While there is an unspoken but obvious love interest between Ash and Eiji, we never see them go into long drawn out make out sessions every 5 minutes (the only time they ever kiss is once in volume 3). I've actually heard opposite from yaoi fans that they were upset that Banana Fish wasn't as yaoi as they were expecting, given the clear Eiji/Ash thing going on. But Banana Fish was more about guns and political drama, the incredibly minor yaoi stuff was minor and few and far between, I honestly don't see how it should be disliked for being a yaoi when it really isn't. No one seems to be calling Tokyo Godfathers yaoi because of Hana.
ReiClone88

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:30 am Reply with quote
Wooga wrote:
ReiClone88 wrote:

Wait..where did you get a copy of Daidogan?
It was on the shelves in the Young Adult section at a library.
The story was lame, the slapstick humor was forced and unfunny, and the art was all jacked up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 21