• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hidan no Aria (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Aria the Scarlet Ammo
Quote:
Plot Summary: The story takes place in Tokyo Butei High School, a special school where armed detectives — "Butei" — are trained to use weapons. Kinji Tooyama is a second-year-student who has a special ability, but he keeps it a secret to maintain an ordinary, peaceful life. However, when he gets caught in a bombing on the way to school, he encounters H. Aria Kanzaki, the most powerful S-Rank Butei student in Assault Studies.

My original thought was that this just another series of lame male character, who attracts girls for a harem with yet another tsundere loli character. As soon as I saw the girl standing on a building I jokingly said that it was Shana, only to find that it is indeed another character voiced by Rie Kugimiya, surprise surprise. It is in some respect it is fairly easy to make fun of, the guy also had a spoiler[bomb on his bike, which I joked and indeed tirned out to be like the movie Speed.]

Well it is not all bad, the main character has bulets all over his bed side table, and carries a gun, so it is not all bad. And on top of that it seems our main character has some sort of problem where in the right situation he spoiler[turns into some butt kicking, big talking main character like Nurarihyon no Mago.]

It did not really catch me at first, but for some reason I found myself actually liking it, and possibly one of the ones I am more enjoying this season.
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Not very happy about Shana voicing that girl, but oh well. I heard there's gonna be a yandere, and I'm looking forward to that. Meanwhile I'll enjoy his different and cocky personality during his erections.

Other than that, hmm, the setting ain't half bad. It's just not very lucky to have arrived with a whole bunch of great shows.
Eivion

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:33 pm Reply with quote
I thought it was alright. Really wish Rie Kugimiya wasn't voicing Aria though. I like her, but its all getting to be a bit too much and something about her voicing Aria just feels a little off. I think they should have found an actress with a slightly deeper pitch. I like Kinji so far, his alternate cocky personality seems like it has potential for fun. Not expecting much from this one, but I figure it should be decent by the time its all said and done.
Westlo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:07 am Reply with quote
I'm struggling to think of a lamer hook scene that plays before the OP.
AP24

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:49 am Reply with quote
Well, I can't think of anyone else to voice Aria. It was obvious that Rie Kugimiya would end up voicing her.
Second episode is coming out tomorrow!
Ringking

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:45 am Reply with quote
Alot of people have said that they are getting tired of Rie Kugimiya being pretty much 100% guaranteed to voice this kind of character. Personally though, i just enjoy the fact as another joke, since in some ways that guarantee is almost funny on its own.
quikbeam1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:40 pm Reply with quote
I just watched the second episode, and i have to say i am finding the character of Aria very annoying. I dont think they are delivering the whole forcefulness / tsundere aspect of her character well and is coming out as just an annoying character.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:31 am Reply with quote
She's not an alien, manifested goddess, hiding fugitive or any of the usual things that usually require an anime girl to secretly cohabitate with the usual anime guy. She is a fellow student, presumably she should have a room in the girls dormitory.

I guess it's gotten to the point where writers just have the girls force themselves into the house "just because," it's what they do- so we do it.
I'd have to think if KInji went into hysteria mode at home he'd smoothly, arrogantly, kick her to the curb, literally.

Yet, that aside I like the show alright, I expect Aria to grow on me and other than the forced parts that have to do with him being forced to let her live there, KInji seems to be a thoughtful and relatively intelligent person
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:34 am Reply with quote
I just noticed this episode that without the action scene this anime blows. Less action = more dialog = more Rie. If only yandere-chan had more screen time.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:26 pm Reply with quote
After watching Episode 2, I'm craving some McDonalds... So, I'm assuming this show has decided to take itself seriously. That's cool, but less of Aria, more of the other females please. And... More action please. Looks like we'll get some in episode 3.

I'm going to keep note that stimulation can be a powerful weapon.
Eivion

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:27 am Reply with quote
Just finished the second episode. I really hate Aria with a passion. Seems like she might have her decent points that I expect to to be fleshed out as the show goes on, but right now I really hate her. Way too damn forceful. Don't really care the for black haired girl who is infatuated with Kinji either. She doesn't quite annoy me yet, but if the yandere talk is true I eventually expect her to.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:22 am Reply with quote
Saw episode two, and I am still likeing it. Damn I am one big sucker for Rie Kugemiya characters with their mix of danger and cuteness, makes me think of the Palmtop Tiger, but with real swords and guns. But more than that, the hair things that look like horns and the red eyes, it is a weakness of mine just like the German chick from AS was, before she lost all her tsun. Actually a similar character that also falls into this would probably have been Yui from Angel Beats, I just like this type of character too much.

I like other aspects aswell, the yandere like girl is also good, don't really care about the outfit she had, but the implied swapping of extremes looks fun. And that blonde girl too, I hope she keeps that spunk.

Also likeing the gaos towards the end, it is a bit sadistic really. Yes it is unoriginal, but it hits the right parts for me.
Nosferatu21

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 3:15 am Reply with quote
This is easily the most disappointing anime of the season for me. It's actually the only show I'm watching this season that I don't like. I didn't have huge expectations going in, but I was hoping for a 7 or 8 and I'm getting a 4. Aria's completely annoying and I don't find any part of her looks, actions, or personality cute at all. This show has 2 things going for it: the persona our male lead takes when he gets too excited and the crazy chick who makes him meals and gets an evil aura if she thinks he's being unfaithful in any way. Vastly underutilizing both. I'l give this one another episode or two to prove me wrong but it looks like I might not stick around to the end for this one.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Thats funny because Hidan No Aria is the anime I like the best out of the new ones. Maybe its because I love the Opening song. Also Kinji is one of the few guys capable of being stronger than the tsundere girl. I find that rare in anime, only seen it in Kaze no Stigma and to an extent in Special A. Every other anime I watched the Tsundere girl just overpowers the guy...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 10:34 am Reply with quote
Do you know who would be usefull, Keanu Reeves. It was not enough to spoiler[strap a bomb to a bike with the same rules of the movie Speed, but a bus as well. Of course when they were looking for the bomb my immediat thought was underneath, which was right.]

It makes it a bit hard to find the story beliveable when the bad guy goes to large lengths, but gives no motive or demands. Hopefully it a motive is given soon. I guess there is also a bit of a problem with Aria claiming previously that she does not need friends, but now spouting phrases about their code directly linked to friends.

I think I did enjoy the softer Aria though, I guess I am a bit sick of the tough tsundere petite girls she always. And I suppose guns riding sports cars is kind of unintenionally funny in a good way.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5