• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Now Streaming: Princess Tutu 1-26 (d)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yamata no orochi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:52 am Reply with quote
If anyone has reservations about the fact that Princess Tutu is

a)a magical girl show
b)a show about ballet
c)a story about a duck who turns into a girl who turns into a magical ballerina princess

Watch the first episode. Then watch the second. If that doesn't sell you on the thing, that's okay, but if it does then you are in for a wild ride. Also I will remind those put off by the opening episodes that they will probably want to be around for the second half where the metafiction hits the fan.

This show was my introduction to both magical girl shows and ballet, and was worthy on both counts. It's also a great primer for Revolutionary Girl Utena, if you ever get around to seeing that!
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:34 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
I loved this show! Not sure if he's still around or not but HeeroTX helped me get into the series. It feels like just yesterday he sent me the dvds.

Yep, still around. Glad you enjoy the show. The clearest way I can say that this is an amazing show is to note that BOTH staffs (American and Japanese) of this show love it. If you don't believe me, watch the DVD extra of Luci Christian dubbing the end of the show. There's also a video of the English and Japanese voices of Ahiru quacking at each other. Anime hyper
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:59 pm Reply with quote
I finished this in two days, it was totally amazing. I will be buying this eventually, but I have a few series I have to complete first when it comes to getting DVDs for my collection.

"I will have you marry me!" never gets old. Laughing
Sacto0562

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:03 pm Reply with quote
I've seen the series on DVD and it is a very interesting, unusual take on the mahou shoujo genre, to say the least. It helps that one Jun'ichi Sato was heavily involved in its production. Cool
Cuprin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:
This is indeed a classic ANN!

I still find this to be much more wholesome than Aria.

Love both series, but sorry man, I've GOT to disagree.

NOTHING could be more wholesome than Aria!!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:38 pm Reply with quote
So here's a lone voice in the wilderness checking in. I've heard tons of great stuff about Princess Tutu pretty much ever since I've gotten serious about anime. I tried to check out the dub here at ANN, but we oppressed Canucks can't get access to it. Anyway, I was so curious I went and found it... a different way... and watched the first eppie.

Gotta say it didn't inspire a huge desire to see more. Somebody in this thread warned you have to get past the first couple of episodes, so maybe that's it. I did like the look of it and I love Luci Christian. Teacher Cat was hilarious. But I have a big problem with Prince Soft Voice. Does he get any more interesting as the series goes on, or does he just sort of remain this fey wisp of a lad?

Anyway, I'll definitely try a few more episodes because I do want to see what all the fuss is about, but I just wish the first episode had done more for me.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Gotta say it didn't inspire a huge desire to see more. Somebody in this thread warned you have to get past the first couple of episodes, so maybe that's it. I did like the look of it and I love Luci Christian. Teacher Cat was hilarious. But I have a big problem with Prince Soft Voice. Does he get any more interesting as the series goes on, or does he just sort of remain this fey wisp of a lad?

As the series progresses he gets more interesting. In episode one he's pretty much an emotionless puppet, and even as he starts regaining emotions, he doesn't instantly become all vibrant and expressive. But in the second half he becomes rather... interesting... I'll say.

Even so, he's my least favorite of the main four. Duck, Fakir, and Rue are all much more interesting throughout the series, though you don't see much of Rue in the first episode.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:04 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
So here's a lone voice in the wilderness checking in. I've heard tons of great stuff about Princess Tutu pretty much ever since I've gotten serious about anime. I tried to check out the dub here at ANN, but we oppressed Canucks can't get access to it. Anyway, I was so curious I went and found it... a different way... and watched the first eppie.

Anyway, I'll definitely try a few more episodes because I do want to see what all the fuss is about, but I just wish the first episode had done more for me.

As much as I hate "It gets better", Princess Tutu doesn't really start to shine until the first climax (episode 13). The first couple episodes are only a little above average magical girl show standard, but the further in you get, the better the show is.
Myaow

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:23 am Reply with quote
My experience in introducing new people to this show is that they usually make the transition from "heh, this is okay I guess" to "this is really good!!" around Episode 6, and from there on out the excitement just keeps growing!

Of course, I was hooked on the show from episode 1 (I love fairy tales and magical girls and slightly obtuse storytelling!) and I've heard of other people whose turning point is around Episode 5. It's not that long a wait for the quote-unquote "good parts"!
CaptainFalcon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:12 am Reply with quote

This picture really just sums up EVERYTHING.

This is an amazing show, and once I started watching it I couldn't stop. And the second season. Oh god, the second season.
Smart Chick

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:32 pm Reply with quote
CaptainFalcon wrote:
This picture really just sums up EVERYTHING.

This is an amazing show, and once I started watching it I couldn't stop. And the second season. Oh god, the second season.

Very Happy I think most fans of tutu would totally agree with this image on their feelings towards tutu. It is really sad how most people still "judge a book by its cover" before giving it a chance and tutu was a poor victim of this sort of thinking. I'm still hoping that with word of mouth tutu will show up in unexpected places and new fans will emerge.
Innotech

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:52 am Reply with quote
Actually I think the Hold me AMV is what got me interested in the show. When I first saw that I was floored by how perfectly it seemed to fit the show and how DARK the show seemed to get. I was already kind of interested in getting the series, but I remember when it was supposed to come out in the US, ADV originally only offered it online. I was kind of pissed about that but I held out hope that they would eventually release a boxset, which eventually happened. However when I got to it it was the spindle set so thats unfortunately the one I have. I must have rewatched this series 6 times despite its length. SOmething about it is addictive. It is also by far one of the cutest anime series in existence. Rue-chans transformation scene is so awesome.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3