• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Kara no Kyoukai - the Garden of sinners

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AilisKnil

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:22 pm Reply with quote
I don't get where this sense of entitlement from American fans comes from. I don't think anyone realizes that western fans are very much spoiled when it comes to anime prices. A $400 price tag isn't such a foreign idea when you consider the fact that this set is essentially an import, and a MARKED DOWN one at that. It basically boils down to what you would rather have: a western release, with a western price tag; or a release exactly like the Japanese one, with a Japanese price tag.

Honestly, I'll take the latter any day. I'd sooner pay out the ass for something I know is going to be good quality than left guessing if the American release will actually be up to par with the Japanese one. I'm glad this release "succeeded" somewhat, because that might influence others to release marked-down imports in limited quantities as well.
PingSoni
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:30 pm Reply with quote
I bought this set 'blind' in the sense that I don't watch stolen material on the Internet. I justify the cost because about once a year I import a series from Japan that I don't believe has a chance to show up in NA, and this is cheaper than doing that.

As I go through it the first time, I am watching each movie twice; first without subtitles (I just let it play after I insert the disc) and then with subtitles. The art and directing deserves this. I find it hard to believe anyone could be bored, but perhaps I live live more slowly than some.

75 seconds from opening the freezer door to the end of the strawberry ice cream scene. There's an important point being made here; it's not fan service.

I've already ordered the OST CDs. I do not mind paying people who create the things I love.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:31 pm Reply with quote
ZenAmako wrote:
Regarding their strategy with R.O.D., they are sticking to the Japanese business model for the most part (not devaluing the IP by selling it cheap, giving it nice packaging). They ARE actually giving us a discount -- the R.O.D. BD box is currently $455.14 on CD Japan.

ok. Somehow I guess they think that logic is supposed to make me understand how it works in Japan and by me understanding that will make me buy the show?

In reality, all it does is make me choosier about what I buy. A show like R.O.D. I may have a mild interest in, but not enough interest to pay that price.

I have only one show that I would pay Japanese prices for at this time. If such prices became the standard, I would probably find another hobby.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:50 pm Reply with quote
AilisKnil wrote:
I don't get where this sense of entitlement from American fans comes from. I don't think anyone realizes that western fans are very much spoiled when it comes to anime prices. A $400 price tag isn't such a foreign idea when you consider the fact that this set is essentially an import, and a MARKED DOWN one at that. It basically boils down to what you would rather have: a western release, with a western price tag; or a release exactly like the Japanese one, with a Japanese price tag.

Honestly, I'll take the latter any day. I'd sooner pay out the ass for something I know is going to be good quality than left guessing if the American release will actually be up to par with the Japanese one. I'm glad this release "succeeded" somewhat, because that might influence others to release marked-down imports in limited quantities as well.

Sorry. Entitlement doesn't have anything to do with it. Japan prices are just too high for their animation.

Yes, I import. From France! The French produce some great stuff.

Even with the weak dollar to Euro, it is still much more affordable to go for France over Japan. That stuff hardly ever makes it over here.
taster of pork

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:51 pm Reply with quote
I really wanna see this series. Unfortunately, I just can't afford to spend $400.00 dollars on it Crying or Very sad
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:13 pm Reply with quote
AilisKnil wrote:

There is no entitlement, it's just such an expensive price for something that probably could be sold for at least half the price if not more.

I would take the western release, at least I know that when I buy that I can purchase food or pay a bill that week.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:25 pm Reply with quote
PingSoni wrote:

75 seconds from opening the freezer door to the end of the strawberry ice cream scene. There's an important point being made here; it's not fan service.

Go on...
kamanashi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:27 pm Reply with quote
To all the people complaining about the price: if you didn't buy it, you have no reason to complain. You made the decision to not buy it, so you lost no money. I bought, but I just saved up over a couple months back when it was first announced. I really really wanted it.

So calm down. One day, it might come out for a cheaper price, until then, deal with it.

I like how this thread about a REVIEW turned into complaints about the price and people calling other stupid for buying (the people calling others stupid are just mad they didn't get it). Shouldn't this thread have been about discussing what you agree with in the review and your own opinions of the films?
Shenl742

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Think I should change the thread around by talking about something OTHER than the damn price.

OK, question about something that confused me! In the first film while everyone's talking at the office, Mikiya is silent for awhile, and then just suddenly falls over on the couch. This seems to motivate Shiki to go "kill" the ghosts...When she does he wakes back up...

So what the hell happened there? Was it the ghosts doing? Were they starting the process of making Mikiya commit suicide? I sort of assumed that was the case...but if it was they could've been a lot clearer because that whole thing made no sense to me.
Veers

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
Think I should change the thread around by talking about something OTHER than the damn price.

OK, question about something that confused me! In the first film while everyone's talking at the office, Mikiya is silent for awhile, and then just suddenly falls over on the couch. This seems to motivate Shiki to go "kill" the ghosts...When she does he wakes back up...

So what the hell happened there? Was it the ghosts doing? Were they starting the process of making Mikiya commit suicide? I sort of assumed that was the case...but if it was they could've been a lot clearer because that whole thing made no sense to me.
spoiler[I think the girl in the hospital (Fujyou Kirie, or more accurately, the splinter of herself that was the "ghost") took his consciousness because she was hoping that Mikiya would show her the same kindness that she perceived that he showed to Shiki. This is what Kirie is referring to when she's strangling Shiki with her own arm. Kirie tells Touko about this when Touko visits, and this is also what Shiki was referring to when she said she wouldn't let Kirie have "him." Something like that. I'm pretty sure Kirie orchestrated all the "suicides" just to get Mikiya's attention (maybe not, though), but I don't think she intended for Mikiya to die. The talking about double existence and extra bodies and stuff will make sense when you get to movie five. This is just my take from having watched the movie half a dozen times; I dunno how the books tell it.]
Edit: Now with less pronouns.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:05 am Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:

Isn't magi pronounced like "maji"? I mean, it just makes more sense to me.

No.
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:17 am Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
In reality, all it does is make me choosier about what I buy. A show like R.O.D. I may have a mild interest in, but not enough interest to pay that price.
By contrast, the only thing keeping me from buying R.O.D. is lack of income. If I was working full time, I'd buy it without hesitation.

Bear in mind the economics covered earlier ~ cutting price in 1/2 can easily cut the margin per disk by 2/3 or 3/4, depending on the terms that have to be accepted at the two difference price points, and given the fact that the margin comes from the revenue after both production and distribution costs.

If the elasticity of demand is a constant 2, then cutting the price in half will double sales volume ... if the change in terms cuts the margin by 2/3, then income is (1/3)*2 = 2/3 the amount at the higher price. If it cuts the margin by 3/4, its even worse ... income would be 1/2 the amount at the higher price.

If the elasticity of demand is a constant 5, on the other hand, you'd keep chasing more volume down to much lower price points.

And the elasticity is going to be different for different titles. Some will have a strong hard core audience, and then quantity demanded at lower prices points increases at a fairly sedate pace ... some will have a smaller hard core audience, but a much larger number of people who'd kinda like to have it.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:17 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I would agree with you in the examples you specify. However, the person flinging around charges of elitism (who isn't you, by the way) doesn't appear to be making any distinctions.

Okay, that's fair enough then.

luffypirate85 wrote:
I would assume he's hinting at me? Laughing

Not specifically, although you do seem to be the loudest of that bunch.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:46 am Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
The thing that stuck out for me in the review was the comment that the $400 release had been sold out. That worries me heaps. That means that the experiment has succeeded and the forecast profits will be achieved.

Look out now for more super-priced fancy releases marketed to idiots who have more money than brains. Look out for reduced opportunities for the rest of us to legally watch anime that has caught our attention. (Which amounts to the same thing that people who only watch fansubs are doing).

The thing is though that it sold out in Japan just as fast. This must have been a really limited release. I wasn't paying enough attention to know for sure, but I'm willing to bet that it sold out in both Japan and the US before it was even released. So, they can't have made all that many. And given how collector-centric this is (it has a really nice case - definitely collectors material), it's not like they were aiming for a normal release anyway.

The DVDs can still be bought in Japan, but those have been coming out over time. This release was definitely aimed at collectors, and unfortunately, it's only that collector-centric release which made it to the US.

Honestly, I don't think that it's all that big a deal if Aniplex chooses to release ridiculously overpriced but insanely nice versions of their stuff in the US at the same time that it's released in Japan (much as I don't want to pay that much money for anime). Such releases are aimed at collectors, and if they're willing to pay that much, then it's worth it to them.

The problem is if such releases are the only releases. The Garden of Sinners needs to be properly licensed and dubbed by someone like Funimation. Then it can have a general release with more normal packaging at a more normal price. If Aniplex never licenses it to anyone else, then this truly sucks. However, if they do license it to a US company for a more normal release, and this sort of thing becomes normal, then maybe it's a chance for the collectors to get really nice stuff and the anime companies in Japan to make a bit more money, while still making it available at reaonable prices to your average anime fans at a later date. However, in such cases, I'd definitely prefer to know that that was the plan, since I might be willing to shell out too much money for what is expected to be the only release but wouldn't be willing to if I knew that a bit of patience would get me the show at a more reasonable price later.

What really worries me is when Aniplex does the release themselves in a manner that clearly is never intended for the show to be licensed by anyone else and Aniplex then charges more than anyone else would. Durarara would be a good example of that, though it could be a lot worse. That worries me more than The Garden of Sinners does.

And truth be told, I expect that The Garden of Sinners was a fluke. It's Type Moon. It's supposed to be one of the best anime move series there is. People have been raving about it for ages. There were bound to be people willing to shell out $400 for it. But would this work with your average anime. No way. Not a snowball's chance in hell. The Garden of Sinners is the cream of the crop with plenty of avid fans being extremely interested in it. Most anime don't have that kind of following - particularly not a following that's willing to pay that much money. So, if Aniplex tries this sort of thing again, unless they can find a series of similar quality which is also highly sought after, odds are that it will crash and burn. So, in the long run, I don't expect that this release of The Garden of Sinners has set much of a precedence at all - except perhaps that collectors are willing to be a lot of money for high quality releases of extremely good - if not outright masterpiece-level - anime. As anime that good is generally lacking, that's not going to work as a general business model in the US.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:03 am Reply with quote
ZenAmako wrote:
You can't compare a simultaneous DVD release (like Kite: Liberator) with a simultaneous Blu-ray release because region codes for America and Japan are different with DVD. This isn't the case with Blu-ray, which is why a cheaper release of KnK on Blu-ray in the US won't happen for a while. A R1 DVD is more likely since that wouldn't be playable on most DVD players in Japan.

As a comparison, Kaze released the first DVD in France (which is R2 like Japan) on the 7/7/10 - two years after Japan. And for the record, they're selling for €30 ($40) each, although that includes the OST CDs, which means the full set of 7 will cost $280 - so like I've said before, an "affordable" BD release in the US at this stage isn't going to happen. That $120 premium gets you it on BD rather than DVD and gets you the whole thing now - they've only just released the fourth movie there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10