• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Kara no Kyoukai - the Garden of sinners

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kalessin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Umino wrote:
John Casey wrote:

This is just one of those shows that either clicks, or doesn't. That's why, despite the fact that I really like it, I find this series to be extremely pretentious and arrogant in its execution. It's like reading Atlas Shrugged all over again.

THIS x 458763480576348756487035345. I''m glad I'm not alone.

Hmm. I kind of agree and I kind of don't. I think that most of the psychological and philosophical aspects of The Garden of Sinners are total B.S. (especially what's discussed in the OVA), and I honestly think that the whole spoiler[multi-personality thing] is pretty stupid and nonsensical (not to mention highly confusing). And yet, I think that it's a fantastic set of movies, and I definitely enjoyed them. So, yeah, they're a bit pretentious and have a fair bit of B.S. in them, but they're still great. I honestly think that The Garden of Sinners is one of the best anime series out there.
mpg13

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:11 am Reply with quote
I had never heard of this show before reading the review so it got me interested enough to watch it.
I have to say it's an outstanding series. I agree it takes some effort to watch but it's an enjoyable effort.
The BR set was sold out before I saw the review but if it wasn't I would consider buying it.
One thing I will say about the added episode in this set is that in my opinion it does nothing for the show. It's fine as a bonus but that's all it is.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:54 am Reply with quote
mpg13 wrote:
I had never heard of this show before reading the review so it got me interested enough to watch it.
I have to say it's an outstanding series. I agree it takes some effort to watch but it's an enjoyable effort.
The BR set was sold out before I saw the review but if it wasn't I would consider buying it.
One thing I will say about the added episode in this set is that in my opinion it does nothing for the show. It's fine as a bonus but that's all it is.

It answers one or two questions that the series didn't answer (like why Shiki didn't recognize him when he first talked to her at school in the second movie), but really, it's just one long, bizarre philosophical discussion. If you're looking for any real entertainment, the OVA falls totally flat.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:52 am Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
prime_pm wrote:

Isn't magi pronounced like "maji"? I mean, it just makes more sense to me.

No.

So we meet again, Dictionary.com. You have a nasty habit of showing up. You motherf*ker.

Not you, fronzel, I meant the website. I'm fairly certain you have a respectable relationship with yours.

I'm still gonna use a "j" though. It just sounds better to me. J for singular, g for plural? Weird.

And, come to think, why'd they refer to "magus" in the singular form in Fate? Ah, who cares?
BeanBandit

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:28 pm Reply with quote
I have to say this review has me curious to check these movies out some day if they ever decide to release cheap DVD's. Not a fan of the Type Moon stuff though, I tried watching Fate Stay Night but got lost and confused pretty quickly. Still, just they way Zac describes these films I'm curious to check these out anyway if only just for the music and the animation.
DTJB

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Just thinking outside of the box guys, can't harp on me for doing that.
geremi99

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:26 am Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
the various Nasuverse works have very little to do with eachother, despite what fans say. I've played both Tsukihime and FSN, and there really wasn't anything from one that would help explain something from the other (...) If anything, so far it's not so much cross-series information that's making the KnK a difficult watch, but rather how frustratingly obtuse the direction is. A bit too much show and don't tell, coupled with all too intentionally vauge direction.

Those could be my own words.

That's KnK: beautiful but frustratingly obtuse. I've watched the whole thing but I still think that the movies are overly (and needlessly) confusing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10