• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Kara no Kyoukai - the Garden of sinners

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZenAmako

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:58 pm Reply with quote
You can't compare a simultaneous DVD release (like Kite: Liberator) with a simultaneous Blu-ray release because region codes for America and Japan are different with DVD. This isn't the case with Blu-ray, which is why a cheaper release of KnK on Blu-ray in the US won't happen for a while. A R1 DVD is more likely since that wouldn't be playable on most DVD players in Japan.
sailorsarah

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:20 pm Reply with quote
It seems to me that the fact that they released this for $400 has grabbed a lot of attention for this series, so they could possibly make a lot of money later releasing it at a lower price point. I probably would have had no interest in these movies if people hadn't been talking about it so much. It sounds like a very high quality release, so I have no complaints about them releasing it this way. I unfortunately couldn't afford it, but I think it would definitely be worth it for the company to put it out again later at a lower price point now that it has garnered so much attention. My interest has been piqued.
CrazyCanuck

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:27 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Personally, I don't think spending $400 in one sitting on entertainment is fiscally responsible, but then again, I've been broke and underemployed for 18 months, so my perspective has been skewed to the "cheap." I really liked Kara no Kyoukai, but not enough to use up almost four years' worth of the "anime budget" that I give myself. Make it only $154, I could save up and buy that (after Utena comes out).

tuxedocat wrote:
I'm very curious if anyone here bought this blind?

I can't really see myself ever paying $400 on a blind buy.

I bought this blind. I admit $400 is extreme, but the simple matter is I didn't pay that for it. The joy of stacked discounts resulted in this costing me $93.44 US. I bought it directly from Bandai. I payed with Paypal. Paypal charged my Visa. Between Paypal promos and Visa promos, I actually paid $93.44. You just have to know how to shop. I admit that I don't know who, if anyone, actually turned a profit on my purchase but I don't know that I care either. Sadly, Canada customs will likely turn a profit. Stupid fees. Razz
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:36 pm Reply with quote
i don't think they will release it at lower price. they will probably do reprint at the same price. for most Typemoon products, the value normally only go up, they don;t go down. They don't like to release cheaper version. TypeMoon characters PVC Figures are more expensive than other anime too. the good ones are normally $120 -$300. They are limited only. that's Typemoon's business model.

I think people who bought it are smarter than alot of you guys who are complaining about it. They probably make alot of money too. like atleast 50k+ a year. I was going to buy it, i was too late before i know they sold out already. just 3-4 days of work for something that you like it's not as bad as you think.

You can't buy it for $400 even if you wanted to. people are selling it on ebay for $600, $700 now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Movie-version-Kara-no-kyoukai-Blu-ray-Disc-BOX-/160541121672?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2560ff1c88
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Re: way, way back on the issue of whether they sell enough more to make up for a price difference, that's why I wanted to know how many copies were "sold out." Was it 1000 copies? Was it 100? If it was the former, then no, they probably made the right call; for whatever reasons, fans of this were willing to spend $400 for it (or figure they can re-sell them at high value). If it was only 100 copies... yeah, they could probably aim higher than that, I would think.

True, not knowing those numbers, it was unfair for me to do a simple comparison to an old show like Fushigi Yuugi, though my point was more that while he paid a ton for that series, he was getting more minutes to his dollar than Kara no Kyoukai is. It's pretty extreme even by standards of previous generations. But I also think that dropping it to the $60-100 mark of a TV show would be foolish as well; it's seven theatrical-quality anime movies, $200 wouldn't be crazy at all if you think about it that way.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:52 pm Reply with quote
CrazyCanuck wrote:
Sadly, Canada customs will likely turn a profit. Stupid fees. Razz

Not really. You may or may not be dinged for GST and PST (or the HST if you live in a province where that takes the place of GST and PST) and you'll probably be dinged for a $5-7 handling fee by Canada post, but that's it. The reason I say you may or may not be dinged for sales tax is that sometimes Canada Post neglects to collect that - hell, sometimes they forget to collect the handling fee, too. All depends on luck of the draw.

Oh and congrats on getting such a great deal on KnK by the way, you lucky thing.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:54 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:
While I don't agree that this type of marketing destroys all hope of a localized release here in the U.S., I think it entirely possible that such a business strategy may make the wait for that localized release a bit longer than we already do.
It's also entirely possible that this type of marketing will be used for precisely those titles that are delayed for several Japanese release cycles anyway for fear of reverse importation ... so it just provides a limited release in the same wait that there would be in any event.

tuxedocat wrote:
I remember being called "stupid" for pre-ordering Durarara, for kind of the same reasons. (Though Drrrr is not coming with the fancy packaging and did not get a simultaneous release, it did get an expensive Bang-Zoom dub, and they pay the actors S.A.G scale at that studio, IIRC.)
I think that the Durarara release strategy, which is decidedly different ~ simulcast subtitled stream release, followed by hybrid DVD release at $4.60/episode ~ is more likely to see a much longer delay before a discount set is offered.

That is, at that price point, a discount set would be a S.A.V.E type release in a flipack, and that adds at least a year and possibly several to the time that we might hope to see a discount set.

However, I'd expect the Durarara type of release, if the strategy survives, to shortly morph into a combined BD and DVD set.

One thing is interesting to me; it seems that Aniplex is trying out three different business models here.

I wonder what the plan is with KnK going forward, and how much of a long view they plan to take in this market. Will they start releasing the show on DVD only? hard subbed? as singles? -- thus minimizing reverse-importations since region codes are different? Will they dub? Will they hold back the extra eighth disc, reserving that for another release similar to what NIS is doing? In any of these scenarios, I still think the S.A.V.E. flip-pack is a very long way down the road, if it happens at all.

The Durarara release reminds me a bit of the way Bandai does things (dubbed with a higher price point and broken up into sets). It sometimes seems like forever before Bandai releases shows as Anime Legends compilations, so I think you might be on to something there. (I can't resist saying that it could be worse if Aniplex chooses to adopt Bandai's delay "strategy" as well. Razz )

I still can't figure out the strategy behind the R.O.D release. It seems very expensive to me considering this is an older show, using a dub that was done by another company... I mean, $150 ($200msrp) for packaging? Confused
Mikeski

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:11 pm Reply with quote
ZenAmako wrote:
You can't compare a simultaneous DVD release (like Kite: Liberator) with a simultaneous Blu-ray release because region codes for America and Japan are different with DVD. This isn't the case with Blu-ray, which is why a cheaper release of KnK on Blu-ray in the US won't happen for a while. A R1 DVD is more likely since that wouldn't be playable on most DVD players in Japan.
Liberator might be a special case even without that... isn't that the one where they ran out of time/money before they finished, and just released what they had? It just cuts to black right in the middle of an important sce

...kinda like that.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
And anybody who pisses and moans about "elitism" simply because some people exercised their democratic right to buy a product ... well, the "be polite and respectful" rule around here prevents me from giving full vent to what I think of that limpdick attitude but let me just leave behind one of these ... Rolling Eyes

I'm not sure if I should call this a straw man because it may be a fair response to the odd person in this thread. However, I think it's true that in the vast majority of cases, people don't object to someone buying this. People object to those people then turning around and telling the rest of us that this is a perfectly reasonable amount to pay or acting like we're cheap because we won't buy this. At that point it's not an issue of 'democratic rights'. It's just them being snobs.

Blood- wrote:
The ONLY thing that is happening is that Aniplex is offering this premium product at the same time its being released in Japan. Normally, absolutely nothing would be offered right now and any NA collector who wanted the set would have to import directly from Japan. Now, if two years from now, there still isn't a non-premium set available at a more affordable price THEN people can legitimately start whining about price blocking.

For the record, I'm not complaining about price blocking. I object to the whole Japanese pricing scheme that creates all these problems in the first place. So yes, I understand that this is par for the course for Japanese releases. I just don't see that as an excuse.
leftbehindxp

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Totally forgot this but I believe Media Blasters put up money to make Liberator, which could explain why there was a very short time between releases here and in Japan. I guess Liberator was a bad example to use, but now I'm thinking of Gundam Unicorn. Of course Gundam is a much bigger franchise with more popularity so it's easier to have a release that it has. The prices on the other hand is a little bit much in my opinion for the duration of each episode, but someone can find good deals online for them. So far I've been renting them off of Zune for around $5 each, but I would like to own them when I find the right price.

Clearly this release is for people who were going to import it in the first place, to have basically the same product that people in Japan get. This situation just makes it easier for people living in the US to obtain it, making it cheaper than directly importing it from Japan.

From the review these movies sound right up my alley with all the horror aspects. Initially when I heard about this and saw the pictures I wasn't very interested, but after reading this I'm defiantly want to look into it further. Also, it sounds like this series has a lot of work put into it, such as with the animation, so I want to see what this is all about. I wouldn't have imported it, but I would defiantly buy it if it was "officially" released here.
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:00 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
DTJB wrote:
$400? F*** that noise, if I'm interested, I'll just rent them.

I already checked netflix. It ain't there.
Netflix does not have Aria the Origination yet (release date march 3, SRP $49.99) ... odds that they splashed out $400 for this limited release seems awfully low.

If the research study on bootleg downloads and streams versus legit rentals and sales in Japan holds up for US conditions, Netflix anime rentals will have nosedived over the last three to five years.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:10 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
I'm not sure if I should call this a straw man because it may be a fair response to the odd person in this thread. However, I think it's true that in the vast majority of cases, people don't object to someone buying this. People object to those people then turning around and telling the rest of us that this is a perfectly reasonable amount to pay or acting like we're cheap because we won't buy this. At that point it's not an issue of 'democratic rights'. It's just them being snobs.

I would agree with you in the examples you specify. However, the person flinging around charges of elitism (who isn't you, by the way) doesn't appear to be making any distinctions. I've read posts by a number of people at ANN who did buy the set and they aren't a bunch of snooty country club types lounging around, lighting up their cohibas with thousand dollar bills. They strike me as regular people who are willing to pay the price for a premium product that they are excited to be receiving. To tar them with an elitist brush or call them stupid for buying this set (which I know you are not doing) really galls me.

Quote:
For the record, I'm not complaining about price blocking. I object to the whole Japanese pricing scheme that creates all these problems in the first place. So yes, I understand that this is par for the course for Japanese releases. I just don't see that as an excuse.

Again, I would agree with you there. My price blocking comment was directed at those who seem to think that this premium product is somehow preventing them from getting access to a reasonably priced set RIGHT NOW.
ZenAmako

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:16 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:

I still can't figure out the strategy behind the R.O.D release. It seems very expensive to me considering this is an older show, using a dub that was done by another company... I mean, $150 ($200msrp) for packaging? Confused

In Japan, they don't usually devalue anime properties by releasing much cheaper editions. Just because a show is old doesn't mean it's going to come cheap. For example, the Bubblegum Crisis Blu-ray box was about $200. It's a different market. Say a DVD comes out priced at around $70. After it's been out of print for a while, they might reprint it for the same price or slightly less (like $60).

In the US, there was a race to the bottom a few years ago to release anime at bargain prices in the hope that sales would pick up. Now US fans expect anime to be relatively cheap, but in Japan anime is still very expensive.

Regarding their strategy with R.O.D., they are sticking to the Japanese business model for the most part (not devaluing the IP by selling it cheap, giving it nice packaging). They ARE actually giving us a discount -- the R.O.D. BD box is currently $455.14 on CD Japan.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:

I would agree with you in the examples you specify. However, the person flinging around charges of elitism (who isn't you, by the way) doesn't appear to be making any distinctions. I've read posts by a number of people at ANN who did buy the set and they aren't a bunch of snooty country club types lounging around, lighting up their cohibas with thousand dollar bills. They strike me as regular people who are willing to pay the price for a premium product that they are excited to be receiving. To tar them with an elitist brush or call them stupid for buying this set (which I know you are not doing) really galls me.

I would assume he's hinting at me? Laughing
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:

totally agree with this. Calling someone stupid, Morons is uncalled-for. and make up story how Typemoon fans are hard to get alone with. Typemoon fans are probably closer to regulars than your average otaku.

yeah paying high price for premium products are very normal in this society. I paid $1000 for suits before. My gf's bags are probably like $500+.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10