• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: AnimEigo's Urusei Yatsura License Expires in September

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:07 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
AnimEigo died to me years ago when they refused to dub any of the UY licence.

IIRC AnimEigo actually tried to dub the show and it was an abyssmal failure because they tried (like some other companies have tried) to regionalize the dialects and that went over like a lead balloon. It also doesn't help that UY is full of puns, cultural humor and all manner of other things that are quite frankly gonna sail MILES above the heads of 95% of "mainstream" fans. Urusei Yatsura is a comedy for Japanese people and was made about 30 YEARS ago. It's a classic for anime fans that deserved its release here, but with it clocking in at over 50 vols just for the TV series (not including the 6 movies and several vols of OVAs) any suggestion that a dub was gonna be profitable on this show is LAUGHABLE.

I'd point out that this sucker came out in America at a time when anime companies (see: Viz, ADV) started renaming their seasons of shows in order to hide the length of shows that went in the range of 52 episodes, "Lum" almost broke 200 episodes. Sure Dragonball Z got up around 300, but that also got a run on American TV and was more friendly to the core WESTERN cartoon market.

Bottom line is, when it was originally released, a dub was not gonna be profitable (I don't know for fact, but the RUMOR was always that the only reason it got released in it's entirety at ALL is because Robert Woodhead is/was such a fan), and if you're someone who refused to buy it because it lacked a dub, you are DEFINITELY in the minority of BUYERS of the show.

Uhh I don't recall AnimEigo dubbing anything. Mostly all of thier dubs were done by Costal Carolina which is an independant ADR who also did dubs for Media Blasters like the 1990,1996 kid friendly OVA "Special Unit Duty Combat Shinesmen". I did enjoy thier YUA dub though.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:47 pm Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
Uhh I don't recall AnimEigo dubbing anything. Mostly all of thier dubs were done by Costal Carolina which is an independant ADR who also did dubs for Media Blasters like the 1990,1996 kid friendly OVA "Special Unit Duty Combat Shinesmen". I did enjoy thier YUA dub though.

Are you truly unaware? Or being pedantic? By which I mean, yes FUNimation (for example) does their dubs in house, but lots of companies do (or did) contract out their dubs, but it's still ostensibly considered to be the dub of the distributing company if only because they are PAYING for it (even if they're not doing the work in house).

If you were being genuine, as noted by Mohawk, right off the top of my head I can note Bubblegum Crisis and Oh My Goddess as two dubs that AnimEigo produced, as well as the aforementioned 1 or 2 vols of Urusei Yatsura. (I remember the dual sided "hybrid" OMG LDs, one side English audio, the other side Japanese audio with subtitles) I also remember a friend of mine getting a life size poster signed by the two American actresses for You're Under Arrest.

(I'd also point out, you can note that AnimEigo produced some dubs by the fact that they changed their tagline from "The Best Anime You'll Ever Read" to "Anime Your Way")
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:23 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:

Are you truly unaware? Or being pedantic? By which I mean, yes FUNimation (for example) does their dubs in house, but lots of companies do (or did) contract out their dubs, but it's still ostensibly considered to be the dub of the distributing company if only because they are PAYING for it (even if they're not doing the work in house).

If you were being genuine, as noted by Mohawk, right off the top of my head I can note Bubblegum Crisis and Oh My Goddess as two dubs that AnimEigo produced, as well as the aforementioned 1 or 2 vols of Urusei Yatsura. (I remember the dual sided "hybrid" OMG LDs, one side English audio, the other side Japanese audio with subtitles) I also remember a friend of mine getting a life size poster signed by the two American actresses for You're Under Arrest.

(I'd also point out, you can note that AnimEigo produced some dubs by the fact that they changed their tagline from "The Best Anime You'll Ever Read" to "Anime Your Way")

Costal Carolina is based in Charlotte. Since they were the closest ADR studio in the state, AnimEigo contracted them to dub all thier releases. YUA's VAs included are Juliet Cessero, Pam Weidner,Amy Tipton and Stacey Sterling. I'm sure you heard thier voices in many AE english dubs. FYI, AnimeNation.com also had thier first of the only two label releases "Miami Guns" dubbed by Costal Carolina as they were closing shop. So while AE has produced dubs, none of them have ever been in house productions.
RoverTX

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:41 pm Reply with quote
BUY DIRECT FROM ANIME EIGO

Righstuf and them both have the same prices but Anime Eigo offers the following discount and free shipping like rightstuf.

Righstuf doesn't give any discount because they already consider it a bargain bin item.

Quote:
Payment method
Subtotal: $487.43
$5 off on orders of $100 or more.: -$5.00
$5 off on orders of $50 or more.: -$5.00
10% off on orders of $200 or more.: -$48.04
UY TV 1 99-cents; limit 1 per customer.: -$7.00
USPS Media or 1st Class Mail (FREE!): $0.00
Total: $422.39

I bought the movies and the OVA's too because of this.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:55 am Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
HeeroTX wrote:
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:

Costal Carolina is based in Charlotte. Since they were the closest ADR studio in the state, AnimEigo contracted them to dub all thier releases. YUA's VAs included are Juliet Cessero, Pam Weidner,Amy Tipton and Stacey Sterling. I'm sure you heard thier voices in many AE english dubs. FYI, AnimeNation.com also had thier first of the only two label releases "Miami Guns" dubbed by Costal Carolina as they were closing shop. So while AE has produced dubs, none of them have ever been in house productions.

Actually Anime Nation released three series. Risky Safety, Miami Guns and Hare+Guu. Miami Guns was actually their second release.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:53 am Reply with quote
HeeroUY:
Quote:
It's a classic for anime fans that deserved its release here, but with it clocking in at over 50 vols just for the TV series (not including the 6 movies and several vols of OVAs) any suggestion that a dub was gonna be profitable on this show is LAUGHABLE.

If UY was on the Sci-Fi Channel or MTV, it might have had a chance to get a bigger audience. But Woodhead said that anime licensors usually have to pay for a broadcast.

Quote:
Sure Dragonball Z got up around 300, but that also got a run on American TV and was more friendly to the core WESTERN cartoon market.

Actually, DBZ had a shitty slot, and was just lucky that it found an audience, as the original show bombed with viewers.

Quote:
(I don't know for fact, but the RUMOR was always that the only reason it got released in it's entirety at ALL is because Robert Woodhead is/was such a fan),

Well, he's not that much of a "fan", 'cus he was ok with selling it to Viz at one point. [Apparently, that didn't go well with UY fans who didn't want that company handling it. And after how they handled MI, I might be inclined to agree with that group.] But really, the reason they got it all subbed was the anime bubble had just enough buyers to fund that project through pre-orders. Plus, UY benefited from the harem fad of the early 90s. Nowadays, that genre's played out, but back then, it was bigger than the giant robot stuff.
lumclaw

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:39 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't going to wait around. Within hours of hearing this news, I just had to order the second half. It could very well end up a repeat of MI with its later DVD volumes being nigh impossible to acquire.

And yes, I am indeed a natively English-speaking American fan of Urusei Yatsura. Like THE bottom of the quantity barrel! Not to mention I just found the series in late 2009...
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:38 pm Reply with quote
RoverTX wrote:
BUY DIRECT FROM ANIME EIGO

I would have done if their website permitted me. AnimEigo's licences prevent them from shipping directly to regions outside R1 — a problem RightStuf seem not to encounter with their own licences.
(Not that I'm inclined to shop with RightStuf however.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4