• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Next Panel Reports

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm... more people need to buy the first season of Kaleido Star (regular DVDs or the possible thinpak) so that ADV can release the second season of it.

Also, Yugo the Negotiator should be pretty easy to buy since they are releasing it at a cheap price (license must have been really cheap)

Also, they said the DVD release of season 1 for Gantz actually cost them more money to produce than a normal release for the same size series, so they won't be doing this anymore.

Last edited by kusanagi-sama on Sat Jun 18, 2005 11:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
packrat

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 11:32 pm Reply with quote
The second link does not lead to the Funimation report. It leads to a page of past con reports by Funimation, but the Anime Next one isn't listed.
SpiritualRemains

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Working FUNimation panel link: animenewsnetwork.com/convention.php?id=234&p=1
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 12:04 am Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:
Hmmm... more people need to buy the first season of Kaleido Star (regular DVDs or the possible thinpak) so that ADV can release the second season of it.

That's very disappointing. I expected to buy each DVD of New Wings as it came out. Now I get the indication that they won't bother unless selling it in thinpak does well?

I really dislike ADV's take on this. It's almost enough for me to find fansubs of the 2nd season so I can at least enjoy it. While I dislike the idea of obtaining fansubs of licensed series, ADV has raised a big question mark as to whether it will be released or not. If they do so, I will buy it... I just don't like the feeling of being in limbo.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Perfect_Cell

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 12:04 am Reply with quote
I'm very pleased that Abenobashi is getting a thin-pack though I am still gonna be patient just awhile longer for the angelic layer think-pack. There is one series in particular that I'm wondering about, Sakura Wars TV. I bought dvd 1 a long time ago and I barely had the money to finish it. With all the thin-packs coming out, I wonder if ADV will ever give this series the same treatment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Ataru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 12:16 am Reply with quote
Quote:
While Dragonball Z is currently being released and broadcast in the “ultimate uncut format,” uncut releases of the first episodes of Dragonball are unlikely because the license is still up in the air.
I guess it's okay to air, but not to release since Trimark has the DVD rights.

I almost got lost there, because some people refer to Dragonball Z as Dragonball.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 12:18 am Reply with quote
Godaistudios wrote:
kusanagi-sama wrote:

That's very disappointing. I expected to buy each DVD of New Wings as it came out. Now I get the indication that they won't bother unless selling it in thinpak does well?

I really dislike ADV's take on this. It's almost enough for me to find fansubs of the 2nd season so I can at least enjoy it. While I dislike the idea of obtaining fansubs of licensed series, ADV has raised a big question mark as to whether it will be released or not. If they do so, I will buy it... I just don't like the feeling of being in limbo.

Could it be that Kaleido Star isn't doing that well in sales, and thats why they are doing that?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Captain Crotchspike

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 12:26 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Finally, Williams stated that having a show air on Cartoon Network is one of the best things that can happen to a property and he hints that more of their shows will possibly be on Cartoon Network in the future.

MOST INTERESTING INDEED!

I'm now actually interested in Yugo the Negotiator. With a sweet price like that and all this apparent pride they have in the effort that went into it, it looks to be worth checking out.

Also, very happy to see Speed Grapher licensed. The sooner the better, afterall. I'd like to see this dubbed.

And I love them for never giving up on Lupin. :')
darkhunter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 12:34 am Reply with quote
GANTZ's release patern was an experiement. But it backfire on them because production cost was more than they could handle. Now they're releasing the last 13 episode on 4 dvd which would cost more than the first 6 dvd.

So college and high school studen feel that 30 dollar is too much for an anime dvd? Why not lower the price in the first place (to maybe 20-25) and get more volumes sold which would offset the cost. I get all my dvd online or at bestbuy so I never paid full price.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 12:52 am Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:
Godaistudios wrote:
kusanagi-sama wrote:

Could it be that Kaleido Star isn't doing that well in sales, and thats why they are doing that?

They already stated that it didn't do as well as expected. It's a shame for such a good series. It was also shown on The Anime Network... then again, I know a few dub lovers out there who were turned off by the series because of how the dub was handled. Can't say I blame them. Whether or not that affected sales though is another matter altogether.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
icepick314

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 3:49 am Reply with quote
damm...

and I LIKED Super Gals....one of the most original series I've seen...

it is disappointing that anime is so saturated in US....I've figure this would happen one of these days....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
AuraShadow

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 4:16 am Reply with quote
Quote:
On Monday FUNimation will be launching a Fullmetal Alchemist contest in conjunction with Viz Media, Tofu Records, Square Enix and Joyride Entertainment. The grand prize for the contest will be a trip for two to Japan to see a L’Arc~en~Ciel concert, a tour of FMA production studios, $1250 in spending cash and a $250 Hot Topic gift certificate. Ten runners up will receive “buttloads” of FMA merchandise. A press release with details will be available on Monday.

Wow...Funi is certaintly stepping it up a notice. I don't recall any other company doing something like this. (If someone else has had these kinds of contests I would like to know what to compare and contrast) ANN had already reported about the Noir boxset (which is now apparently a "thinpack"). I'm not surpirsed by these releases. ADV is going down the drain and thier trying to make up for recent anime market satuartion. I'm not bashing ADV I'm being more sypithetic than anything else, but it IS time that another dub company reigh supreme in the anime world and Funi is looking like a pretty good candidate right now....

Just as a thought, has anyone wondered if since the anime market is so saturated, why does the general public still associate anime with Pokemon and Yu-gi-oh, and other animes like that when it's much more diverse now?
Belmot

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 4:20 am Reply with quote
What about the news that ADV has passed on the Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pich license ?

Does this mean they don't have the licence anymore or that it was successfully licenced to one of the networks ?
(english isn't my mother language..)
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 5:47 am Reply with quote
FUNimation link still isn't working, it goes to the main conventions page still.
spider-moose

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 5:54 am Reply with quote
icepick314 wrote:
damm...

and I LIKED Super Gals....one of the most original series I've seen...

it is disappointing that anime is so saturated in US....I've figure this would happen one of these days....

me too, I love super gals, I got the episodes before it came out over here, I love it so much, I made sure I got all the dvd releases over here and I've been waiting for them to release more!

its probably safe to say the same about Saint Seiya, another favorite of mine, probably only release the first season, even tho it keeps getting better and better has it goes along!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4