• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fate/Zero Anime to Get English Dub, Will Stream on Neon Alley

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dimlos

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:18 am Reply with quote
Slicer22 wrote:
Of course im not a dub fan i avoid it like the plague
Not even a dub fan, but I don't know how people are supposed to take your post seriously when you start off with things like this. If they'd rather watch it dubbed and they enjoy it, what do you care? The stupid, elitist attitude that practically every sub fan takes towards dubs makes me embarrassed to watch anime sometimes.
Mirri

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:06 am Reply with quote
Dimlos wrote:
Slicer22 wrote:
Not even a dub fan, but I don't know how people are supposed to take your post seriously when you start off with things like this. If they'd rather watch it dubbed and they enjoy it, what do you care? The stupid, elitist attitude that practically every sub fan takes towards dubs makes me embarrassed to watch anime sometimes.

The fandom in general makes me embarassed to watch anime the majority of the time. Wink

I like the majority of the voices. Kirei's is spot-on. Seems Crispin Freeman is becoming Jouji Nakata's stand-in.

The way Irisviel said "reality" made me feel like she was strung out.

This would've been a great opportunity for an accent-filled dub. I watched the first episode of IS's dub on Anime Network On Demand and I liked that there were some accents, even if they were a bit silly.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:26 am Reply with quote
All of the Epic Heros would have learned Japanese (or English in the case of the dub) by magic and need not have an accent. Saber's English would be very little like modern English and would require magic also.

In a pratical sense, a faked accent usually gets more anger than no accent. As such, finding the voice actors with proper accents willing to work for anime company rates would be difficult. Also, if you are making a dub with "accents" would all the Japanese have to speak English with a Japanese accent?
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:10 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Saber's English would be very little like modern English and would require magic also.
Having been spoiled on her identity by jack wagons refusing to tag important things, I might as well chip in that spoiler[her native tongue wouldn't have been English; the Britons were the ancestors of the modern Welsh].
Mirri

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Alan45 wrote:
Saber's English would be very little like modern English and would require magic also.
Having been spoiled on her identity by jack wagons refusing to tag important things, I might as well chip in that spoiler[her native tongue wouldn't have been English; the Britons were the ancestors of the modern Welsh].

It's revealed in the first few minutes of the first episode of Fate/Zero. You shouldn't be watching Fate/Zero if you haven't watched Fate/Stay Night first, it's like watching Episodes 1-3 of Star Wars before watching the original trilogy...

The identity is revealed in the anime adaptation of Fate/Stay Night, as well, which is 8 years old, isn't there a statute of limitations on spoilers?...
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:30 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Asrialys"]
I AM THE VAST UNIVERSE wrote:
Does anyone know the name of the voice actress that says "Just eight more years and your fight will come to an end and our ideal will become reality" around 1:02 in the trailer?

Is it Bridget Hoffman?

Whoever it is she sounds absolutely fantastic! The dub sounds very promising hopefully Aniplex won't shy away from dubs altogether this is a step in the right direction.

Yes it is![quote]

I thought it sounded like her. Anyone have any idea who the voice actress is it at 1:09? I don't recognize her voice. Its safe to say that this is going to be one of the best english dubs in 2013.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Based just on that clip, it sounds like the series is going to be well-cast, as they made good calls on many of those roles. I'd love to have this dubbed and on Blu-Ray if the price isn't too outrageous.

Concerning the voice actress at 1:09 in the clip, it almost sounds like Mela Lee (the voice of the teenage Rin in F/SN and the movie) trying to sound younger.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Slicer22

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Dimlos wrote:
Slicer22 wrote:

If you are going to quote something at least do it so its not taken out of context and twisted just so you can bitch at me. I am not telling people not to watch dub or they should not. I simply questioned why people did they can do whatever i want it does not mean i can not ask why, I looked at the few responses and that was that.

How does me giving my opinion about dub ruin my posts creditability? I dont like it so i dont watch it, the only reason i looked at the Fate/Zero dub is because Fate is one of my favourite franchises.

Also calling me elitist because i don't like dub? no i just don't like dub i think it is crap that is not elitist just a difference in taste and my view. Even more so since the more anime i watched the more my ears pick out who the Japanese voice actors are, sometimes by them just making 1 sound i can guess then i pause to go check quickly on myanimelist. I appreciate and enjoy the voice actors far more than when i first started watching and compared to when i was a kid and did not even care. I also built up my knowledge on who is who and have favourites, which is no different to people who like dub with them having their favourite dub actors.

I just like sub instead of dub, though i don't know why but i do seem to have a very strong dislike to dub but that is just how it is i am not going to try stop others watching it but i would question it to ask why.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:43 pm Reply with quote
@Slicer22

Sub vs. Dub is a hot button topic. It tends to hijack the thread whenever it is brought up. This topic and the associated thread are about the Dub version of a show. Please do not derail the thread.

There is a poll on sub vs. dub in the polls forum. Go there and say anything you like about your preferences. However, for the sake of orderly threads please do not bring up the subject here or in other threads not specifically on that subject.

Thank you for your cooperation.
DomonX2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Slicer22 wrote:
I have no idea how many times my eye twitched listening to that horrible dub. Of course im not a dub fan i avoid it like the plague but Fate/Zero and the Fate franchise is something i truly love so of course i was interested in listening to it. Is this seriously considered good dub? because to me it was nothing but horrible i hated them all and they even changed one of Saber's iconic lines to "(Are you) worthy to be (my master?)" Come on at least get that right.

Are you all telling me you would rather listen to this than to
Nakata Jouji as Kirei
Seki Tomokazu as Gilgamesh
Kawasumi Ayako as Saber
Koyama Rikiya as Kiritsugu
Oohara Sayaka as Irisviel
Ootsuka Akio as Rider
Ueda Kana as Rin
Shitaya Noriko as Sakura
Ishida Akira as Ryuunosuke
Tsuruoka Satoshi as Caster

I should stop before i list the whole cast really. I mean come on you seriously would listen to the dub over any of these? Have you ever really listened to Nakata Jouji there is a reason why Type Moon loves to use him. Or how Ishida Akira and Tsuruoka Satoshi managed to really bring out the psychopathic duo of Ryuunosuke and Caster. Caster's and Ryuunosuke's dub actors were just pathetic. Also Ayako will always be Saber there is no one more suited for her and the dub actor for Gilgamesh was a pathetic attempt, Seki Tomokazu does the arrogant proud Gilgamesh so well in Fate/Zero.

Well i never liked dub anyway but i just can not see how people can stomach it. Only dub i ever really remember liking was Dragonballz from when i was a kid i still like it better now.

Your argument was rendered invalid, the second you said DBZ's dub was good.
Any problem Fate/Zero's dub may have is incomperable to the DBZ's dub. If you think DBZ had a good dub, but this dub is bad, you're an idiot. The Fate/Zero dub is factually better than the DBZ dub.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Slicer22 wrote:
How does me giving my opinion about dub ruin my posts creditability? I don't like it so i don't watch it, the only reason i looked at the Fate/Zero dub is because Fate is one of my favourite franchises.

It ruins your credibility because you're slamming the dub and openly wondering how anyone could possibly tolerate listening to it based on one roughly 100 second clip where most characters speak at most one line. Once you've heard the whole dub and can speak more authoritatively on the dub's merits (or lack thereof) then you can speak with more credibility.

Quote:
Also calling me elitist because i don't like dub? no i just don't like dub i think it is crap that is not elitist just a difference in taste and my view.

How is you asking "how could anyone possibly tolerate listening to any performance other than these original ones" not being elitist? Just saying that you prefer the original performances is one thing, but you went way, way beyond that with your original comments, so you shouldn't be shocked that people are jumping on you for it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Slicer22

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:43 pm Reply with quote
DomonX2 wrote:

Your argument was rendered invalid, the second you said DBZ's dub was good.
Any problem Fate/Zero's dub may have is incomperable to the DBZ's dub. If you think DBZ had a good dub, but this dub is bad, you're an idiot. The Fate/Zero dub is factually better than the DBZ dub.

I said i liked the DBZ dub when i was a kid you know way back when it was airing for the first time on Toonami before i ever watched subs. I would still watch it now since im used to the voices and the Japanese ones do not sound right after god knows how many episodes. Really it is more of a childhood nostalgia thing which Dragonballz is in general, like i could really sit down and rewatch Dargonballz now considering how drawn out everything was though maybe one day i will watch Kai but i am in no rush.

Key wrote:

I am not about to argue back and forth with you i wanted replies to my questions not arguments. It is not like i set out to change anyones view and mine will not change either. Though if it makes you feel any better i am watching Mai-HiME atm and some of their Japanese voices are hard to take mainly Mikoto Minagi.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Slicer22 wrote:
I am not about to argue back and forth with you i wanted replies to my questions not arguments.

Oh cut the crap dude. Nowhere have you posed anything resembling a genuine "question" for people to answer. All you've done is crap on this dub and suggest that it is just inexplicable that anyone else could stand it. I think your opinion is ignorant, biased and snobbish but if you're gonna be like that, at least now stand by it. Don't come back with this bullshit "I just wanted an answer, I'm not looking for an argument". You came in here to crap on dubs and the people that like them. You were never looking for any sort of answer and if you didn't expect an argument you're a damn fool.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Slicer22 wrote:
I have no idea how many times my eye twitched listening to that horrible dub. Of course im not a dub fan i avoid it like the plague but Fate/Zero and the Fate franchise is something i truly love so of course i was interested in listening to it. Is this seriously considered good dub? because to me it was nothing but horrible i hated them all and they even changed one of Saber's iconic lines to "(Are you) worthy to be (my master?)" Come on at least get that right.

Are you all telling me you would rather listen to this than to
Nakata Jouji as Kirei
Seki Tomokazu as Gilgamesh
Kawasumi Ayako as Saber
Koyama Rikiya as Kiritsugu
Oohara Sayaka as Irisviel
Ootsuka Akio as Rider
Ueda Kana as Rin
Shitaya Noriko as Sakura
Ishida Akira as Ryuunosuke
Tsuruoka Satoshi as Caster

I should stop before i list the whole cast really. I mean come on you seriously would listen to the dub over any of these? Have you ever really listened to Nakata Jouji there is a reason why Type Moon loves to use him. Or how Ishida Akira and Tsuruoka Satoshi managed to really bring out the psychopathic duo of Ryuunosuke and Caster. Caster's and Ryuunosuke's dub actors were just pathetic. Also Ayako will always be Saber there is no one more suited for her and the dub actor for Gilgamesh was a pathetic attempt, Seki Tomokazu does the arrogant proud Gilgamesh so well in Fate/Zero.

Well i never liked dub anyway but i just can not see how people can stomach it. Only dub i ever really remember liking was Dragonballz from when i was a kid i still like it better now.

I get the feeling you didn't actually watch the video, because it's pretty damn-well casted.

But I guess excoriating it on a forum is easier for you to do, huh?
carlomandeguz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:05 pm Reply with quote
David Vincent as Archer reminds me too much of Grant George as Gilgamesh, but that's just me. Otherwise, this cast is absolutely amazing. Wish that Kate Higgins could've returned as Saber, though that's just me being a fanboy; I'm sure Kari Wahlgren will be awesome as Saber. I wish we could know the rest of the cast though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 11