• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fate/Zero Anime to Get English Dub, Will Stream on Neon Alley

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
It ruins your credibility because you're slamming the dub and openly wondering how anyone could possibly tolerate listening to it based on one roughly 100 second clip where most characters speak at most one line. Once you've heard the whole dub and can speak more authoritatively on the dub's merits (or lack thereof) then you can speak with more credibility.

Key wrote:
Based just on that clip, it sounds like the series is going to be well-cast, as they made good calls on many of those roles.

So you can say that based on a short one-hundred-second clip and a list of English cast members that the English dub looks like it will be fine, but Slicer22 cannot say based on the same clip and a list of the Japanese cast that the English dub will not be as good as the Japanese dub?

Okaaay.

I don't think Slicer22 knows English dubs very well. According to him the only dub he ever liked was Dragonball Z, which speaks volumes about his bias against dubs. However, that doesn't change the fact that your logic is inherently flawed. If you can use the clip to make projections about the English dub then so can he. If you can say good things about the English cast despite not hearing many of them in their Fate/Zero roles then he can say good things about the Japanese cast which he's actually heard during the entire run-time of the show.
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Mirri wrote:
It's revealed in the first few minutes of the first episode of Fate/Zero. You shouldn't be watching Fate/Zero if you haven't watched Fate/Stay Night first, it's like watching Episodes 1-3 of Star Wars before watching the original trilogy...
So somebody who's watched neither should just stay out of this thread?
Quote:
The identity is revealed in the anime adaptation of Fate/Stay Night, as well, which is 8 years old, isn't there a statute of limitations on spoilers?...
Nothing about the article demands discussing the character's identities. Not slapping on spoiler tags is just laziness.
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:39 am Reply with quote
A small bit of amusing trivia I just noticed: Saber's English VA is different, but the english VA for her final opponent in F/SN is the same english VA for her first opponent in F/Z.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:28 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
So you can say that based on a short one-hundred-second clip and a list of English cast members that the English dub looks like it will be fine, but Slicer22 cannot say based on the same clip and a list of the Japanese cast that the English dub will not be as good as the Japanese dub?

Okaaay.

I don't think Slicer22 knows English dubs very well. According to him the only dub he ever liked was Dragonball Z, which speaks volumes about his bias against dubs. However, that doesn't change the fact that your logic is inherently flawed. If you can use the clip to make projections about the English dub then so can he. If you can say good things about the English cast despite not hearing many of them in their Fate/Zero roles then he can say good things about the Japanese cast which he's actually heard during the entire run-time of the show.

Wow, you're just looking for things to pounce on lately, aren't you?

If he had just said that he preferred the sound of the original voices on that clip, I would have had no problem with that. But he didn't do that, did he? Besides, my response was qualified. His wasn't.

Really, if you're trying to catch me being hypocritical, you're going to have to try harder than that. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:12 pm Reply with quote
carlomandeguz wrote:
David Vincent as Archer reminds me too much of Grant George as Gilgamesh, but that's just me. Otherwise, this cast is absolutely amazing. Wish that Kate Higgins could've returned as Saber, though that's just me being a fanboy; I'm sure Kari Wahlgren will be awesome as Saber. I wish we could know the rest of the cast though.

You're not alone on Vincent/George. They often do sound alike, though they are two different people (the latter's voice is more nasally). On a somewhat separate note, while I can sympathize with those more familiar with the FS/N dub, in a perfect world, I would have so liked to hear New Generation's internationally-flavored dub of F/Z. It would likely have been fun, but I'll still take this world's one. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:25 pm Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
And of course they give the british characters american accents. A little bit of effort would be nice.

I can understand crying about Waver not having a British accent, but Saber? She's from MEDIEVAL BRITAIN! They would not have spoken with the same accents that modern Britons use. The key features of modern British accents are fairly recent linguistic innovations, hence why Kevin Costner can get away with giving Robin Hood an American accent. Same with Bang-Zoom! and whichever actress they have voicing Saber, depending on which anime you watch.

Ed Wiskoski giving his Col. DeBeers character an American accent, on the other hand...
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:07 pm Reply with quote
I went through this whole thread, and I will keep my comments simple:

1. It seems Bang Zoom ignored the original voice actors for this series (I guess since the characters themselves are a bit different), despite the fact that they just dubbed Unlimited Blade Works less than a year ago.

2. The existing Blu-ray release was NOT an Aniplex of America release. It was an Aniplex of JAPAN release that AoA was offering here AS AN IMPORT.

3. This dub was most likely produced by Viz Media, who will likely be the ones to release the show to home video here in the US. The rumor is the same for Blue Exorcist. I should point out that Viz has confirmed that everything on Neon Alley will see a home video release in the future.

4. It's also possible that the dub was produced (or co-produced) by Manga UK (or MVM Films) or Madman Entertainment. They have been the reason some dubs have been produced (Clannad, Princess Resurrection, a few others...).

5. The show could still end up on Toonami. Neon Alley does not affect this. Though it would be better for Toonami to air Fate/stay night first.

6. I hope more of the Fate franchise is brought to the US, like the rest of the manga, which had an effed up release, (no) thanks to Tokyopop also effing up... We also need Fate/prototype.

7. It's AWESOME to see Bridget Hoffman back! Her last anime title was Kekkaishi back in 2010, and that wasn't even a very big role...

Last edited by PurpleWarrior13 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:18 pm; edited 3 times in total
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:12 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

5. It's AWESOME to see Bridget Hoffman back! Her last anime title was Kekkaishi back in 2010, and that wasn't even a very big role...

She did reprise her role in Mahoromatic, for the special released by Sentai last year.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:25 pm Reply with quote
^ I didn't know about that. It's good to know that Bridget Hoffman has not completely vanished. She's done good work in shows like Fushigi Yugi and of course in Perfect Blue. She's a little underrated.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:25 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
7. It's AWESOME to see Bridget Hoffman back! Her last anime title was Kekkaishi back in 2010, and that wasn't even a very big role...

Bridget Hoffman was in Durarara. Look it up.
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Mirri wrote:
... You shouldn't be watching Fate/Zero if you haven't watched Fate/Stay Night first, it's like watching Episodes 1-3 of Star Wars before watching the original trilogy...

I hope that they put that warning before the Neon Valley episodes, otherwise others might make the mistake that I made in watching and enjoying Fate/Zero when the sub was being simulcast.

Out of curiosity, what exactly is the doom that awaits those of us who watch Fate/Zero without having watched Fate / Stay Night first?
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:28 pm Reply with quote
nothing that i can think of. i don't think it really matter which one you watch first
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Thanks alot for sharing that YouTube video, I'm super excited about finally getting to watch Fate/Zero Very Happy!
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:16 pm Reply with quote
@agila61
Some people have complained that because of the age of Fate/Stay Night and some of the budget constraints at the time that it will be a letdown after watching Fate/Zero. Also there are some spoilers in Fate/Zero. While it takes place before Fate/Stay Night some of the ending of Fate/Zero is not reveled until near the end of the later show.

I don't think any of this is really major, but your mileage may vary.
jl07045

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:06 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Out of curiosity, what exactly is the doom that awaits those of us who watch Fate/Zero without having watched Fate / Stay Night first?

The same as in Star Wars. You either know that Vader is Luke's father or you know that Anakin went dark side. You don't need to see F/SN to get F/Z, but if you intend to watch both, there's no reason to go with the prequel before the original.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 11