• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Sound of Bounce on Free Throw

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:56 am Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Godaistudios wrote:
So no titles that needed to be trashed this week, huh? That's unusual. Smile

DearS hasn't been released yet. *ba dum ching*

Bah, needs more Sister Princess! Surprised
RoodyPooUS

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Strategos wrote:
Can't really disagree with any of the reviews, except I adore FMP? to death so that is a definate buy for me.

Same for me, I loved this second season of FMP, they take the military enthausiast to a whole new level.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TiredGamer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Nitpick: You mislabelled the price for the regular edition of Elfen Lied Vol 1... it's $29.98 and not $39.98.

Fumoffu is too slice-of-life for some people, so it makes sense to lower its rating. Which is too bad, since the series definitely makes a happy sequel... the first ends spoiler[on something of a down note due to the take-over of the Danaan and rescue by Chidori].
Angel Of Death

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad you liked Piano and Someday's Dreamers, Bamboo. I loved the latter show and I plan to get Piano sometime in the future.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Ah, another exciting installment of Astro Boy Reviews Anime. Trying to throw us off by making us think you're an asian girl or Hagrid with a bad dye job, eh, Astro? You little scamp.

FMP Fomuffu is actually closer to what I wish the first series could have been. Not to say that I didn't love the first series, but I really enjoyed the whole wacky-military-boy-meets-civilian-life angle that's played up in the manga and kind of pushed aside in favor of GIANT ROBOTS AHOY in the anime. So having Fomuffu to finally bring that great odd-couple dynamic into the spotlight is a great thing. This show rocks.

For years I honestly thought Dear Boys was a yaoi anime. Why? BECAUSE IT'S CALLED "DEAR BOYS." So changing the title was a smart move on Bandai's part, even if it sounds a little too close to the movie Hoop Dreams to be a coincidence (but hey, if you're gonna swipe, at least swipe from the best b-ball movie ever.) I kind of want to see this now, just to see how much they can overdramtise a free throw or someone sneezing or something. Will it be as weird as the ending to Buzzer Beater, where spoiler[the team loses the big game and Hideyoshi just stands there screaming "PASS TO ME, I'M OPEN! PASS TO ME, I'M OPEN!" over and over and over and over and OVER, in the middle of the court, for like ten minutes even after the game is over and everyone's left, all while crying? Now THAT'S some crazy drama.]

Elfen Lied is the coolness. I still laugh at the guy who gave it a bad review on Toonzone, whose review basically said "OMG THIS CARTOON HAS BLOOD! F MINUS-MINUS!" Later, that same reviewer told us that Evangelion is nowhere near as good as Power Rangers because there's not enough giant robots punching each other.

That's why I'm glad Astro Boy's here with good, intellegent reviews, and why I'm glad he'll always be there to protect Tokyo from the most deadly threats 1957 has to offer. Say hi to Professor Ochanomizu for me, Astro! And tell Shinasku Ban he still owes me twenty bucks.
SnowfairyX

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
Ah, another exciting installment of Astro Boy Reviews Anime. Trying to throw us off by making us think you're an asian girl or Hagrid with a bad dye job, eh, Astro? You little scamp.

FMP Fomuffu is actually closer to what I wish the first series could have been. Not to say that I didn't love the first series, but I really enjoyed the whole wacky-military-boy-meets-civilian-life angle that's played up in the manga and kind of pushed aside in favor of GIANT ROBOTS AHOY in the anime. So having Fomuffu to finally bring that great odd-couple dynamic into the spotlight is a great thing. This show rocks.

For years I honestly thought Dear Boys was a yaoi anime. Why? BECAUSE IT'S CALLED "DEAR BOYS." So changing the title was a smart move on Bandai's part, even if it sounds a little too close to the movie Hoop Dreams to be a coincidence (but hey, if you're gonna swipe, at least swipe from the best b-ball movie ever.) I kind of want to see this now, just to see how much they can overdramtise a free throw or someone sneezing or something. Will it be as weird as the ending to Buzzer Beater, where spoiler[the team loses the big game and Hideyoshi just stands there screaming "PASS TO ME, I'M OPEN! PASS TO ME, I'M OPEN!" over and over and over and over and OVER, in the middle of the court, for like ten minutes even after the game is over and everyone's left, all while crying? Now THAT'S some crazy drama.]

Elfen Lied is the coolness. I still laugh at the guy who gave it a bad review on Toonzone, whose review basically said "OMG THIS CARTOON HAS BLOOD! F MINUS-MINUS!" Later, that same reviewer told us that Evangelion is nowhere near as good as Power Rangers because there's not enough giant robots punching each other.

That's why I'm glad Astro Boy's here with good, intellegent reviews, and why I'm glad he'll always be there to protect Tokyo from the most deadly threats 1957 has to offer. Say hi to Professor Ochanomizu for me, Astro! And tell Shinasku Ban he still owes me twenty bucks.

Lol! Laughing Astro Boy?

Well anyway, glad to know that you liked the first volume of Elfen Lied, Bamboo. I didn't know that there are actually people that enjoy this type of violence. I hope the series won't end up to be too disappointing since my expectations are already so high.
biliano

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:

Astro Boy, eh? I could've swore that Picture #3 was Bamboo. What a clever little vixen you are, B! Very Happy

Piano is a title I'm definitely buying. I took the liberty of listening to some of the series' music on their website and it is absolutely beautiful. This could be another of TRSI's patented "sleeper" hits.

I also find Fumoffu pretty funny, although I'm still getting accustomed to Kyoto instead of Gonzo in terms of the animation, but Kyoto seems to have the characters down right. I still prefer the Studio Gonzo version, but Fumoffu does has its great moments.

You want a perishable? Then make sure you read her Maburaho review in Protoculture Addicts #84 (p.53). The first line of the review explains it all. Cool

Speaking of Astro Boy, does anybody know when ANN will announce the winners of the Astro Boy contest they conducted back on April 13?

Last edited by biliano on Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Raoh

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Dear Boys is the gay younger brother of Slam Dunk who the family disowned.

Thats how I see it, anyways.

Buzzer Beater was FAR more entertaining.

Gotta say, I agree with Elfen Lied.

Having seen the anime, and read some of the manga, I really love the series alot. I hope it does amazingly well here, too.
khryoleoz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:41 pm Reply with quote
I would swap Fumoffu and Elfen Lied's places. The strong violent content yet mediocre plot and senseless charactertizations brings Elfen Lied to the rental shelf. I am relieved that Chris Beverage and I agree and are of the same opinion about it, which should lend credibility to my previous assertions.

But Fumoffu is based on an already well-established title, making the sequel more easily accessible. And because of the slice-of-life episodic nature of Fumoffu, the uninitiated need not have watched FMP to enjoy Fumoffu for what it unabashedly is, just whacky situational comedy based on a formula that works however predictable. Kyoto Animation's work is also very gorgeous. Fumoffu should be Shelf Worthy.

Scrapped Princess...if the second volume has enough value to be purchased, should not the comments about the first volume be retracted and the title moved up to purchase level also? I can't deduce why I should be advised to merely rent the first volume but buy the second.
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:52 pm Reply with quote
khryoleoz wrote:
I would swap Fumoffu and Elfen Lied's places. The strong violent content yet mediocre plot and senseless charactertizations brings Elfen Lied to the rental shelf. I am relieved that Chris Beverage and I agree and are of the same opinion about it, which should lend credibility to my previous assertions.

But Fumoffu is based on an already well-established title, making the sequel more easily accessible. And because of the slice-of-life episodic nature of Fumoffu, the uninitiated need not have watched FMP to enjoy Fumoffu for what it unabashedly is, just whacky situational comedy based on a formula that works however predictable. Kyoto Animation's work is also very gorgeous. Fumoffu should be Shelf Worthy.

Scrapped Princess...if the second volume has enough value to be purchased, should not the comments about the first volume be retracted and the title moved up to purchase level also? I can't deduce why I should be advised to merely rent the first volume but buy the second.

First off Almost all of the staff here at ANN have placed Elfin Leid as a shelf life title. Second Bamboo seems to love Gore.

As for Scraped Princess, this isn't the first title to start on the rental shelf then move to the Shelf Worthy.
bravejaf

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I like your assessment of Elfen Lied, especially the Pop Rocks comparison. The show really was painful to watch at times but after seeing it all, it was one of my favorite anime of last year. The show only gets better from here (though more creepy).

I also enjoyed your review of Piano, which is a really solid show. I'm not sure how it will do in the US but am glad Right Stuf decided to take a chance on it.

I hope to pick up Piano and Elfen Lied DVDs when I get caught up on some of my other anime.

Tomorrow I get to go pick up my copies of Scrapped Princess vol. 2 and Jubei-chan 2 vol. 1.

-Bravejaf-

http://hakkai.net/forum/index.php
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:09 am Reply with quote
khryoleoz wrote:

Because I do volume reviews, not series reviews. At the time of watching the first DVD, I thought it was only rentalable, but I thought the 2nd one was purchase-worthy. That doesn't change how I feel about the first volume at all. The three different categories are just ways to sort out how I feel about certain discs. Even if I were to put every volume of a series in Shelf Worthy but a truly sucky DVD were put out in the middle of the series, I could still give that individual disc a Perishable rating.

Thanks for everynoe's comments!
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:01 am Reply with quote
Naa! It's not Astro Boy! I know which one it is but I won't say. Good reviews BTW. I like the sound of "Piano" and will be looking out for it when it washes up on one of our beaches. Wink
Did I mention I have white hair in my beard too? Doh! Anime hyper
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:38 pm Reply with quote
I solidly agree with the ratings of both Elfen Lied v1 and Scrapped Princess v2. Bamboo, I think you're underestimating the appeal of Fumoffu?, though. I have yet to talk to anyone who's seen it and didn't find it entertaining.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I solidly agree with the ratings of both Elfen Lied v1 and Scrapped Princess v2. Bamboo, I think you're underestimating the appeal of Fumoffu?, though. I have yet to talk to anyone who's seen it and didn't find it entertaining.

But is it worth watching over and over again? To quote Bamboo: "...it ended up here because I don’t really see myself wanting to rewatch it again anytime this year." I've watched every episode twice myself, but some comedies don't really beg being watched over and over again. Thus, watching it once as a rental makes more sense to Bamboo than buying and only watching it once.

(Incidentally, I'd buy the series instead of just watching it On Demand if I had the money, but that's just me. Wink)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3