• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Sound of Bounce on Free Throw

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
khryoleoz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:53 pm Reply with quote
I personally had watched Fumoffu more than ten times already that I've lost count. I would concede that it's pointless to criticize a reviewer's point of view. So I wish to offer just another point of view that just so happens to disagree and suggest otherwise. I don't know how many would agree with me, but I've laughed with Fumoffu harder than any stand up comedian or sit-com I've watched, and replayed the thing over and over again more than any other title including my former-all-time-favorite the 80's TV mini-series The Bourne Identity and have yet to become bored with it. If Elfen Lied being an inferior product can be a Shelf Worthy item, then how much more Fumoffu?
darkhunter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:05 pm Reply with quote
khryoleoz wrote:
I personally had watched Fumoffu more than ten times already that I've lost count. I would concede that it's pointless to criticize a reviewer's point of view. So I wish to offer just another point of view that just so happens to disagree and suggest otherwise. I don't know how many would agree with me, but I've laughed with Fumoffu harder than any stand up comedian or sit-com I've watched, and replayed the thing over and over again more than any other title including my former-all-time-favorite the 80's TV mini-series The Bourne Identity and have yet to become bored with it. If Elfen Lied being an inferior product can be a Shelf Worthy item, then how much more Fumoffu?

Fumoffu, while funny, the comedy isn't natural. Things happen spontaneously to make you laugh. Typical fish out of the water story. But then again Elfen Lied isn't that good either.
hooliganj

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I solidly agree with the ratings of both Elfen Lied v1 and Scrapped Princess v2. Bamboo, I think you're underestimating the appeal of Fumoffu?, though. I have yet to talk to anyone who's seen it and didn't find it entertaining.

Like Astro Boy said, the review is for the volume, not the series. If volume 1 of fumoffu only contains 3 episodes, I can easily see why it would be rental material. I loved the show as a whole, but the good material comes later on. The 5th episode (the one where spoiler[Sousuke takes over the rugby team and they do the Full Metal Jacket riff]) was the first one that had me in stitches. Everything before that was merely funny in comparison.
Andromeda

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:08 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Related Products: Some of the best shows are the ones where nothing really happens, letting you enjoy life passing by—like Somedays Dreamers and Yokohama Kaidashi Kiko.
Tastes Like:Jasmine tea, right at the top of the pot. The flavor is lazily subtle up near the top, but it fills the senses with soothing relaxation and fills you with a warm hapiness.

Warm happiness?

I saw episode 1 at FITcon, and the only thing it filled *me* up with was sleepiness.

I agree that the production values are excellent, of course - gorgeous animation, beautiful music, nice art design (although the main character's hair looks like it should be picking up signals from space) - but the show's pace is sooooooooooooo impoooooosibly slow. My friend and I at the con had to riff on it in the back just to keep from being bored to tears, and ended up walking out before the second episode was shown. This is one of those rare series (like .hack only more so) that I'm not too keen to get into, on account of it seeming like nothing really happens in any given episode, but which I would probably love to own the soundtrack to. Nice music, nice animation, nice art... but good production values are not the be-all end all.

Personally, I would have placed it in the rental category. Viewers with enough patience to sit through a three-hour British drama on PBS will probably enjoy this, or perhaps some patient pianists might get a kick out of the way the notes she plays actually match up to the animation.... but unless you're delibrately looking for a sleep aide or have the pre-existing patience of a saint, I would suggest giving this one a rental or borrowin it from somebody, before springing for 30 bucks for it. Especially since it apparently only has three episodes (judging from the 75 minute running time). With such a painfully slow-moving plot, well, unless you REALLY like it (and how would you know if you haven't seen it yet?), spending that much for only three episodes is sort of a waste. (as a side note, I really wish TRSI would put more episodes per disc on their releases to begin with. I bought Comic Party volume 1, not realising that the running time had NOTHING to do with the number of episodes on the disc - there's only three. Most of the listed running time is eaten up by extras, which, while awesome, are NOT episodes; remind me, if and when I become able to finally do an animated series, to carefully label it with "combined episode running time" and "total disc running time", instead of just listing the combined disc run time).

However, let it not be said that I cannot stand a slow-paced drama if it moves say, faster than a snail on morphine. Someday's Dreamers is in my mind a wonderful series (and infinately superior to Piano). Why? Because you can actually see some semblance of a plot; while slow-paced, stuff of incredible interest actually manages to happen in the first one or two episodes. Plus, it has moments of quiet humor that are at times twice as funny as the average fast-paced gag in Excel Saga (though I like ES too, myself... about an episode at a time, anyway. Anything more can give ya a headache!).

And this based on so far seeing only two episodes - it's that good, even from the beginning (I saw it at the same con as I saw Piano at, actually).

If you're patient enough for Piano, you can definitely sit through Someday's Dreamers, and should. It's so good. *damns her small wallet*

-Andromeda
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Andromeda wrote:

Personally, I would have placed it in the rental category. Viewers with enough patience to sit through a three-hour British drama on PBS will probably enjoy this, or perhaps some patient pianists might get a kick out of the way the notes she plays actually match up to the animation.... but unless you're delibrately looking for a sleep aide or have the pre-existing patience of a saint, I would suggest giving this one a rental or borrowin it from somebody, before springing for 30 bucks for it. Especially since it apparently only has three episodes (judging from the 75 minute running time).

Yeah, it is kind of boring, but I guess I'm a patient pianist that gets a kick out of the series. I did mention though, that it was dryer than a bag of sawdust, so people uninterested in watching paint dry (even if it'll end up being a wonderful artistic masterpiece) won't be bothered to check it out.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Andromeda wrote:

Personally, I would have placed it in the rental category. Viewers with enough patience to sit through a three-hour British drama on PBS will probably enjoy this, -Andromeda
I'm quite partial to a good 3 hour British drama.Wink
I suppose it would have liven it up a bit if the piano transformed into a giant robot and the girl magically transformed losing all her clothes before being reclothed with her magical battle suit, then together using it's strings as sonic resonance canons go out into the town and - ..........um,....... battle another magical musical, boy,... robot,... thangy.
The young are so impatient. Rolling Eyes
SnowfairyX

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:17 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Andromeda wrote:

Personally, I would have placed it in the rental category. Viewers with enough patience to sit through a three-hour British drama on PBS will probably enjoy this, or perhaps some patient pianists might get a kick out of the way the notes she plays actually match up to the animation.... but unless you're delibrately looking for a sleep aide or have the pre-existing patience of a saint, I would suggest giving this one a rental or borrowin it from somebody, before springing for 30 bucks for it. Especially since it apparently only has three episodes (judging from the 75 minute running time).

Yeah, it is kind of boring, but I guess I'm a patient pianist that gets a kick out of the series. I did mention though, that it was dryer than a bag of sawdust, so people uninterested in watching paint dry (even if it'll end up being a wonderful artistic masterpiece) won't be bothered to check it out.

That is a pretty amusing comment, Bamboo. Are you trying to get people to watch this show or are you trying to scare them off? I'm not much of a fan of the action genre in anime and would actually prefer Piano to something like Cowboy Bepop or Samurai Champloo. This series sounds very intriguing from your description and I'm now more inclined to pick it up.
Zoogicub

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:44 pm Reply with quote
So you didn't think Scrapped V.1 didn't have enough substance? That last episode of it kinda freaked me out a bit with that sludge monster thing... that was getting ugly in a hurry.

All I can say though is that picture 4 would have been my guess, though 5 is a stylish individual.

No way pic three is you. Chun Li punch! Wink
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:32 pm Reply with quote
SnowfairyX wrote:
SakechanBD wrote:
Andromeda wrote:

That is a pretty amusing comment, Bamboo. Are you trying to get people to watch this show or are you trying to scare them off? I'm not much of a fan of the action genre in anime and would actually prefer Piano to something like Cowboy Bepop or Samurai Champloo. This series sounds very intriguing from your description and I'm now more inclined to pick it up.

^^;; I'm trying to get people to watch the show, but warn them what they're in for. I think Piano is terrific, but I realize a lot of people will fall asleep if they're not into that kinda stuff. It's a lovely and very nicely done show though, so I hope you pick it up and give it a chance.
Angel Of Death

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:00 pm Reply with quote
For the record, I very much enjoyed Someday's Dreamers. I have no doubt I'll enjoy Piano.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3