• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Akiyuki Simbo

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:15 pm Reply with quote
GUYS

Remember what show this interview was about?
Timeenforceranubis

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
Akiyuki Simbo wrote:
Rather than it being about “life,” I focused on the part of life when we shine brightest, “adolescence.”

This is one of the most depressing and hatefully misanthropic sentences that I have ever read.

I'm sorry, but what about that quote is "misanthropic?" I understand how it could be depressing, but "misanthropic?"
reanimator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:48 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:
Akiyuki Simbo wrote:
Rather than it being about “life,” I focused on the part of life when we shine brightest, “adolescence.”

This is one of the most depressing and hatefully misanthropic sentences that I have ever read.

From what I understand this is an extremely common belief among Japanese people. As a culture they are fairly obsessed with youth.

This reminds me the movie "Children of Men" where the setting puts celebrity status on the world's one and only teenager.
erejnion

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:
God. It's rather demoralizing to know that all of these statements which I consider just fundamentally short-sighted came from one of anime's most prolific and [in the relative sense] popular directors. I mean, it explains why I don't really care for most any of the many things he does, but talk about poisoning the well from the get-go.

As a guy over 30, I really don't want to accept that adolescence was the peak of my life. One of the biggest problems I have with so many anime, to the point where I rarely watch series as they air, is that they start off with promise and then fizzle out at the end. And the notion of making an adaptation for the primary benefit of people who already know the source material front to back, even if that comes at the expense of everybody else, is simply not sustainable.

Man. This dude and everyone on board with him have got to be stopped.

Consider this: the light novels series has the word "adolescence" in its title.

What is strange about the director going about directing it from the "adolescence is the peak of one's life" angle?

Also, what is strange that a director would want the fans of the original series to say that it's a good adaptation? If the original series were good, the anime by itself will attract new fans if it's a good adaptation. If the original series were bad --but then why would you even adapt them?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4