• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Sense and Sentai-ability

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:31 pm Reply with quote
As others have said I can't agree that series adapted from LNs is analogous to reboots, sequels or side-stories for original movies and shows.
While it's true that a new production may adapt the source poorly, there's a big difference between using existing content to continue a story and creating new content from scratch to continue it.
It's even more important in cases like this since the LNs are not likely going to come out here (Haruhi being one of few exceptions) so the only way people can continue to enjoy the story is by watching its anime adaptation.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:
Because obviously no one will watch anything new until they see a sequel to something else they want.

People will obviously watch new things, otherwise fiction wouldn't exist, but people are more averse to trying new things.

I don't think people are averse to trying out new visual entertainment, but sequels are a safer and surer bet to make money. If you want to go deeper and why aren't seeing more original screenplays? This stuff is a game, and the goal for the creativity in charge is to get funding for a script, the goal for the people fronting the money is to get it all and more back.

Covnam wrote:
It's even more important in cases like this since the LNs are not likely going to come out here (Haruhi being one of few exceptions) so the only way people can continue to enjoy the story is by watching its anime adaptation.

That's a good point. If you want more of a story that's adapted from LNs, your only avenue will be fan-translations if they exist, or if you can read Japanese with no accompanying pictures that give context clues. LNs also have the massive advantage over manga is that it's only a script with sparse images, you can release several books a year and have little worry an anime adaptation will come along and then have to work itself into an original ending.

There's no doubt we'll see more Horizon and SAO in the future, the novels are popular and their anime are megahits, it's just too early to beg. What will be interesting to follow is what Girls Und Panzer's future becomes. The show wasn't expected to be a massive success, so the speculation is that between studio delays and the surprise preorders, the ended had to be retooled to keep from being a complete story. It's where sales affect a show before it has a chance to conclude, and in a remarkably short time frame. I doubt they'd want it to end at 12 episodes, and neither do the fans.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:47 pm Reply with quote
As far as further adaptations of source material goes, I generally just judge it by whether the end of the adaptation was satisfying. For instance, there's material they could use to continue Ouran High School Host Club (note this is just a hypothetical one. I have no delusions that Ouran would actually get a new season this long after the fact.) but I don't really need that. It would be nice to see, but the ending of the anime was perfectly fine for me.

On the other hand, the end of the Deadman Wonderland anime was abrupt and not very satisfying at all, so seeing a second season would help improve the overall experience.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:58 pm Reply with quote
I feel Brian kinda went overboard on the second question. The guy who posted the question never said he had no interest in new concepts, but at the same time Brian's question of, " But why take that chance?" can easily be flipped to "why not take the chance?" Technically Brian, they were "taking a chance" with Empire Strikes Back since Lucas could easily have acted like the Death Star explosion at the end of A New Hope crippled the Empire for good. Heck, can you imagine a world where they didn't "take a chance" on making Godfather 2? I certainly don't.

Yes, sequels/prequels/spin-offs could turn out bad, but considering the vast amount that turned out fine or great, there's no reason to act like it's a lost cause. Heck, Haruhi could have easily ended with Season 1 but it didn't and I think Disappearance is even slightly better than Season 1. When people experience something that was enjoyable with characters that engaged them, it's completely logical they want to see more of them. Now, there are exceptions (anyone who wanted a continuation of Cowboy Bebop missed the point of the ending IMHO) naturally but certainly plenty of series have potential to tell more stories with their characters. And if we end up not liking it? Big deal, we write it out of our minds and pretend it never happened. In my version of reality, Scrubs ended with a proper series finale and there was no "extra final season" that only had half the characters and even less than half of the humor.

Nobody is saying we no longer want any new series. Heck, Haruhi had to start somewhere, right? But at the same time there is still plenty of room for sequels/prequels/spin-offs.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:22 pm Reply with quote
On Sentai dubs; I have heard several Sentai dubs, and they seem mostly fine to me. The only two big issues I have had were with Guin Saga and Gregg Ayers being often miscast. If I were to wildly speculate, I would say that Sentai is not to worried about producing high quality dubs because too often fans (at least at ANN) seem to conclude that a dub (no matter how bad it is) is better than no dub.

On the subject of Sentai not having a presence in social media, I agree with Zac and his reasoning that Sentai probably does not to talk to fans because they are going to be bombarded with too many complains.

Brian Hanson wrote:
a well-oiled Funimation-style machine.

I don't know about that. Since when a company that seems to only spit out shallow boob shows is a well-oiled machine? But if you like mostly shitty anime, I suppose FUNi is the best company for that.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:28 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

Brian Hanson wrote:

I don't know about that. Since when a company that seems to only spit out shallow boob shows is a well-oiled machine? But if you like mostly shitty anime, I suppose FUNi is the best company for that.

sure, go ahead an conveniently ignore all the other shows they release
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:09 pm Reply with quote
First off, yay for my response being posted in the Question of the week for last weeks question.

Sentai dubs

I do not have an issue with Stephen Foster. Most of the stuff that I have heard of his ADV and Sentai stuff I have enjoyed. I haven't heard of all of Sentai's dubs since becoming Sentai but the ones I have listened I have enjoyed. I just recently listened to their new dub for Grave of the Fireflies and I though it a good dub, except for Emily Neves as Setsuko but that would have been hard to pull off right regardless of who was directing the film.

I haven't heard Penguindrum's dub yet so I will reserve judgement until I heard it. I think if Sentai did some more stuff in house I think they could cut down on a lot of the issues that plague their releases.

To this weeks questions:

The thing that bothers me the most is misspelled subtitles. Sure bad dubs and less than stellar video quality are issues too, but I don't have to listen to a bad dub and I can still watch a show that doesn't have the best video quality, but misspellings in subtitles is bad. Shows to me that either A) they don't care about mistakes or B) there is no QC or the QC doesn't care about fixing spelling issues.

Last edited by asimpson2006 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:16 pm Reply with quote
answerman wrote:
I cannot believe that Sentai isn't aware of this criticism. Anime fandom is pretty far from ubiquitous; no doubt they're aware, if only peripherally, of their reputation in that regard.

I don't quite follow this. I know what I mean when I use the word "ubiquitous", and this isn't it.
LavenderMintRose

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:17 pm Reply with quote
I have an issue with Sentai's dubs.

I'm a dub fan, and the performances of the voice actors really do influence my enjoyment of a series. One of my favorite manga has a frankly horrible anime adaptation - it lack pretty much everything about the manga that I love, and it reduces the characters and the story into something sadly shallow compared to the manga. I still watch the anime a lot, and I own 3 copies of some parts of it - all because of the amazing voice cast in FUNimation's dub. They captured the characters wonderfully, and there seem to be elements from the better parts of the manga in the performances. Even if this is just my fangirl mind projecting these things onto the characters, I know that even that would not have been possible with a dub like the one that Sentai gave to a different series that I love.
I know that Sentai has the licenses for two series I really, really love - Tsuritama and From the New World. I will probably buy those when they come out. But I wish there were a way to support those series - the series themselves - without using my money as a vote for Sentai's handling of them.
It really makes me sad with those two series, too. I know of other groups outside of anime fans who I would recommend those series to. I feel like Tsuritama would really appeal to fans of a few of the young adult writers I read, (e.g. Maureen Johnson or Stephanie Perkins). I can think of tons of people who would like FTNW. But I wouldn't feel confident in recommending those series if I know that the translated version available isn't good.
4Kids was easier to deal with than this - they licensed relatively few series and changed them to suit a certain goal, with a result that wasn't always bad (everyone's nostalgic for their Pokemon). With Sentai, they pick up everything they can get, and they do a lackluster job, for all intents and purposes, because they just don't care.

Also, The Mari Okada thing - the problems people have with her work on things like Fractale, and the TV Black Rock Shooter . . . kind of the opposite of "charm and warmth", really. She was behind the same thing with the series I mentioned above (left unnamed because the series' fandom has a bad reputation which I wanted to leave out of this because it really isn't relevant, and also it's horribly inaccurate. One of those "vocal minority of crazies ruins it for the rest of us" things.) .
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:38 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

Brian Hanson wrote:

sure, go ahead an conveniently ignore all the other shows they release

Sure, go ahead an conveniently ignore that I said mostly shitty anime. I am not forgetting about FMA: Brotherhood, Steins;Gate, Ouran, Spice and Wolf, the Haibane Renmei rescue. FUNi has good series too, but it seems that out of every 10 series they release, 5 are boob shows, 3 are average and 2 are actually good.

Last edited by Angel M Cazares on Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
FLEABttn

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:38 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

Even if that were true, that doesn't make what Brian says any less true. Nobody else in the NA licensing industry has the licensing->localisation/reversioning->finished product process down to a science like Funi does.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Brian wrote:
Characters YELLING TOO MUCH? Sure, but that's a trope that can be levied against anime as a whole, and I think it's kind of unfair to single her (Mari Okada) out for it specifically.

No, it's perfectly fair. It's not like it happened to her once or twice, she has a clear and irrefutable penchant for indulging in melodrama.

Brian wrote:
Mari Okada, meanwhile, is just your traditional writer. She works hard to write and cultivate good scripts, in her eyes, despite whatever criticism is lobbed her way.

She's a bit more than your traditional writer. She's actually very prolific in terms of both adaptations and writing original stuff. She's highly sought after and has had steady work over the past few years. Does she work hard? Absolutely. Is she talented? Even I believe that to be the case. But she hands in crap just as frequently as she turns in good quality writing, even within the same show.
Nandosagi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:36 pm Reply with quote
I admit my experience with Sentai's dubs is very, very limited, but from what I have seen, I have to say I'm disappointed about the apparent problems with Penguindrum.

I thought their dub of UN-GO was actually quite decent, at least for a cast of almost entirely rookie or small-resume VAs. I only counted one voice in the main cast that had the problems with bland, flat delivery that seems to be a bigger problem in their other series, and it was probably the least important of the main characters so he could almost be overlooked.

Maybe I'm just too forgiving since I'm glad someone is releasing the series Sentai is here, though.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm somewhat mixed on Sentai's dubs. I'm one of the few who really liked their Angel Beats dub. But the next title from them I got was Guin Saga and while a lot of it was actually pretty decent...well, you know. It's admittedly left me a little skeptical of them though, especially watching the first of The World God Only Knows and somehow they got Chris Patton to miss flaps and even start lines late, among other things. Granted I only watched the first ep of the whole dub, but it doesn't inspire much confidence.

I generally buy anime for the dubs. It gives it a fresh take on rewatching the series, and makes it easier to watch while multitasking. So if the dub isn't particularly good, it makes me wary on buying. Of course if I like the series enough Id be more than willing to buy a sub only or a crappy dub [Polar Bear Cafe, Nichijou, I'm looking at you], but blind buys or decent series that I might have bought with a better dub are out.

Couldn't be more happy with their dub of Persona 4 though, even with some recasts. They can have Bang Zoom dub for them anytime.

angelmcazares wrote:

Sure, go ahead an conveniently ignore that I said mostly shitty anime. I am not forgetting about FMA: Brotherhood, Steins;Gate, Ouran, Spice and Wolf, the Haibane Renmei rescue. FUNi has good series too, but it seems that out of every 10 series they release, 5 are boob shows, 3 are average and 2 are actually good.

That exactly what Sentai does as well.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:23 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
People probably are digging too deep to find a reason why theres no new Haruhi season, when it can be pretty much explained easily: Aya Hirano. Studios have been avoiding her like the plague ever since her scandal,

I agree 100% with this.

I get the need to create new anime franchises, but the rest of the Haruhi novels, that have not been animated, seem very interesting and intriguing. I have not read these novels with the hope of seeing them animated one day, but their brief descriptions in Wkipedia indicate that some of the best Haruhi stuff is in these novels.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5