• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Battle Royale Poster Drawn by Bryan Lee O'Malley, Kevin Tong

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:05 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
Unfortunately, many American teens are desensitized to such violence.

So you're going by the argument that children are desensitized to violence because of media, or because we as Americans are legally allowed to have guns? Because if it's the first, then Japan has the same issue and your argument is void. Japan's the one who created Battle Royale, something that would never happen in America because we're a bit TOO sensitive over the subject matter. If it's the later, the fact we're legally allowed to have guns has nothing to do with being desensitized to violence. Your example of gang violence is not the norm, and cannot be be used to stereotype American children.

Many are desensitized because they've already went thru that life experience. Even when they may not be the ones directly involved, but they were there, they know someone, or they weren't too far off.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:15 pm Reply with quote
dont really care for pilgrim (only ever seen the movie and was bitterly let down) but thats a sweet poster.

Would have got the BR manga but the whole tokyopop dicking about with it put me right off. Hate when publishers try to cram their oar into things like that, just do the translation and release it.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:33 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Many are desensitized because they've already went thru that life experience. Even when they may not be the ones directly involved, but they were there, they know someone, or they weren't too far off.

It doesn't work like that. Out of the millions upon millions of children out in the us, many have NOT gone through this experience. Also what you speak of is not desensitization, is psychological trauma in response something they experience firsthand. Desensitization is a psychological process clinically used to end reactions to a stimuli through continuous exposure. The main argument involving violence and the desensitizing of children to violence comes through things like watching violence in media (anime for example) or playing video games. Desensitizing can happen in an environment like what you're describing through prolonged exposure, but cases in America?

Though some may exist here, they would be no where in the numbers you're assuming. You make it sound like North American children are in a battlefield everyday, experiencing PTSD when most children haven't ever seen a gun outside of an police officer's holster. And kids who have parents who own guns have probably never seen them actually used outside of a gun range or for hunting.

The desensitizing you're talking about is happening with child soldiers on the African continent. The US? I assure you our kids are not running around daily with guns in their hands, shooting their fellow friends and family like it's just another day in the world.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2