• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Moe is the Key

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jymmy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Heh, started to bug you.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:27 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
^
Dude, that's getting old. I know it's your shtick, but asking the same question four times in a row just makes you look crazy.

Also there are a lot of people in this thread who think that regurgitating jokes from 9 years ago still qualifies as "insightful criticism"
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
^
Dude, that's getting old. I know it's your shtick, but asking the same question four times in a row just makes you look crazy.

Also there are a lot of people in this thread who think that regurgitating jokes from 9 years ago still qualifies as "insightful criticism"

Hey uguu became a meme for a reason, it helps rate the kawaiiness of new moe anime girls per season.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:

Hey uguu became a meme for a reason, it helps rate the kawaiiness of new moe anime girls per season.

That doesn't even make sense! No one talks like that!
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:48 pm Reply with quote
^
Well, I highly doubt that there's a housecat somewhere that actually asked its human for a "cheeseburger" (oops I mean "cheezburger"). That's why it's a meme and not something that happens in real life.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:34 am Reply with quote
Quote:
we're also treated to an unintentionally hilarious car accident,
I didn't think it was very funny, even though she survived but anyway...

Honestly, I still like Air's story the best. Not the side stories, but Misuzu's. It is by far the most realistic one they told. It connects with me the most probably because since 2006 I've had an illness that 8 different doctors cannot figure out. I can't afford to travel to any further doctors. Uncurable illness like Misuzu's is obviously far worse than whatever I have, but I felt a connection due to her struggles just living every day life when she wasn't locked in her bed. Thenspoiler[ her ultimate fate] at the end was honestly an ending that was perfect.

Kanon I thought was also very romantic and mostly well told. I watch it every winter and it never gets old for some reason. The internet fans are super annoying though with all the uguus.

Clannad (both, I merge them always since its the same series still), still makes my eyes water. You don't really ever get a story that's not just about love, but also about true friendships and family. I'm not a big fan of the character designs and I'm not shallow enough to blame the magical ending for "ruining" the show, because even though I know how it ends, watching it again every few years still makes me feel those emotions and it still tells the same lessons.
BrandonL337

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:55 am Reply with quote
Kanon is by far my favorite of the key/kyoani trilogy, due to a lot of reasons, one being that I consider it to just be better quality, another being that is resonated a lot better with me emotionally, and that may very well be due to the fact that I was essentially emotionally dead for a long time before I watched it. This was me at my most cynical, bitter, and unhappy place in my life.

I wanted to try getting back into anime after a disastrous attempt a couple years earlier that ended when I watched Eva for the first time. I saw Arkada's review of it over at the desudes brigade and thought that it looked interesting. So I watched it with an open mind and was blown away. This show packs a serious emotional punch and I was close to tears when spoiler[we find out what happened to ayu and it seems like ayu is dead.] this is made especially poignant after the epic spoiler[kiss a couple episodes in when yuichi and ayu first become a couple.] For whatever reason this show got to me and helped (along with toradora) to get me out of my funk, and to get me seriously into anime.

In fact, Kanon was the first anime series I ever bought, two years ago, at my first Dragoncon. almost a year and a half later and I've got over fifty shows on my anime shelf. Soooo, yeah, Kanon's pretty important to me, and don't worry, i don't care if you don't like it, everyone's entitled to their opinions.

Air and Clannad on the other hand...

Air I didn't care for, it felt rushed and the spoiler[main guy turning into a crow] put me off to it, though I will give it props for having the most bittersweet endings of the three.

Clannad, while I very much liked it, two things I had problems with, for one the leads never so much as kiss on screen, hell, when nagisa said that spoiler[she and tomoya had sex] I literally called bullshit. This couple is so ridiculously chaste that it's frustrating. Admittedly I'm probably spoiled on Kanon with it's spoiler[epic kiss] but I still found it weird. The other problem I had with Clannad was, as you might expect, the ending. I'm sorry, no matter how much you try to justify it, that is not a good ending, yes, spoiler[he remembers what happens.] yes, it's a quirk from the visual novel. It's still a too-convenient happy ending for it's own sake, deus ex machina or not. Personally, i think it might have been better if spoiler[it ended with tomoya and ushio dying in the snow.] It would hit harder and it would've been a hell of a lot ballsier.

Overall, I think that, no matter my personal opinion on them on an individual basis, these are important anime, if only for the moe genre, and we'd be better off if more moe was like this, K-On may be kinda funny and cute, and lucky star may be... whatever it is, but I think this is moe at it's best, and I wish there was more of it, because as it is, i haven't seen a moe show that i've really loved since toradora and these. and Angel Beats too, I suppose, though that had massive issues, and was really action heavy, so i only partly think of it as moe.
Stratum

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:01 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
The only case in which this is correct is Kanon. It is, entirely, Yuichi coming across different girls that he probably met during his previous stay and helping them out in some way. There is zero story other than that. Nothing adds together and there is no connected theme in any of the girl's circumstances. It was Key's first work (though the core staff had done prior work at Tactics) and it shows. In terms of a connected story it is the worst.

Kanon seemed to split it's characters into two roles, those associated with death in some way spoiler[(Makoto, Mai, Shiori, Akiko, and Ayu)] and those changed by it spoiler[(Amano, Sayuri, Kaori, Nayuki, and Yuuichi)]. So I'd say that learning how to cope with death or rather how not to cope with it would be the theme. Though I do think that Air and Clannad's themes were stronger.
BrandonL337

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Stratum wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
The only case in which this is correct is Kanon. It is, entirely, Yuichi coming across different girls that he probably met during his previous stay and helping them out in some way. There is zero story other than that. Nothing adds together and there is no connected theme in any of the girl's circumstances. It was Key's first work (though the core staff had done prior work at Tactics) and it shows. In terms of a connected story it is the worst.

Kanon seemed to split it's characters into two roles, those associated with death in some way spoiler[(Makoto, Mai, Shiori, Akiko, and Ayu)] and those changed by it spoiler[(Amano, Sayuri, Kaori, Nayuki, and Yuuichi)]. So I'd say that learning how to cope with death or rather how not to cope with it would be the theme. Though I do think that Air and Clannad's themes were stronger.

Well, there are also thematic elements related to Pachelbel's Canon from which the title is derived. The anime has heavy themes about how yuuichi's past is affecting his present, and to a lesser extent, how he's repeating the past. I find it significant in terms of theme that yuuichi doesn't remember what happened seven years ago. If he did, spoiler[Ayu's astral projection wouldn't be around] and the past wouldn't be able to repeat and build on itself andspoiler[ Ayu's wish wouldn't have been able to be granted.] That he's slolwy starting to remember the past as he repeats it also plays into the theme of the past building on itself.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:22 pm Reply with quote
In what way would you say he is repeating his past? That's interesting, never looked at it by that way, but 'yuichi's past affects his present' is only because he keeps running into girls from his past. It is much more on how he discovers that his small interactions with several girls from the past unknowingly influenced them.

I'm kind of weirded out on how you could get such things from Pachelbel's Canon though. I've never heard of any musical analysis that links it to the themes you describe, though I'm definitely interested.

Last edited by Megiddo on Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
prabb

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:

That doesn't even make sense! No one talks like that!

Do you have trouble decoding someone's mood based on his or her facial expressions and/or tone of voice?
BrandonL337

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
In what way would you say he is repeating his past? That's interesting, never looked at it by that way, but 'yuichi's past affects his present' is only because he keeps running into girls from his past. It is much more on how he discovers that his small interactions with several girls from the past unknowingly influenced them.

I'm kind of weirded out on how you could get such things from Pachelbel's Canon though. I've never heard of any musical analysis that links it to the themes you describe, though I'm definitely interested.

from the show itself
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukATkuJBw-c

the dub explains it a little differently if i remember. strictly speaking, the show get's it wrong, the musical form that's actually being referred to is a passacaglia.

I'll let TV tropes explain it better, scroll down to gratutious german:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/VisualNovel/Kanon

At any rate, while he's not, strictly speaking, repeating his past, there are a lot of parallels between his past and present, usually shown through flash back, Nayuki being late to greet him at the train station, him running off with Ayu, leaving naiyuki to get mad at him when he finally returns. there are other moments like this as well. the snow bunnies, etc.

In fact if i remember correctly, a lot of his flashbacks are triggered by something in the present relating too or paralleling something that happened in the past, as shown in the flashback.
Hiro94

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Now If Jast Usa Or Manga Gamer would get the Visual Novels for these series licensed i'd be happy as hell.
BrandonL337

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Hiro94 wrote:
Now If Jast Usa Or Manga Gamer would get the Visual Novels for these series licensed i'd be happy as hell.

well, you can still get them, it just takes some... creativity.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Hiro94 wrote:

They tried. However, the licensing fees Key asked for are simply highway robbery.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 11