• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Maid to Order

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:01 am Reply with quote
@The King of Harts - I figured you had to have a custom shelf unit, considering you take pride in displaying the box art of your collection. It's finally nice to see what you've been bragging about these years.
Wink

Looks like you'll have a very nice anime room, once it's done.

@Bamboo - I can't blame you for judging a book by its cover, considering it's what distribs do to move their product. Thanks for the reviews, because I also put off Maid Sama for the very same reasons you did.

It's pretty shameful, really, this method of selling is still being used today, rather than seeing honest accounts of what's in the box. It's the primary reason I will now stream before I buy, so I don't find myself spending $100 for a series that's a total failure because the box lied.

I actually feel sorry for those who thought they were buying an ecchi series only to find a romance one. Suckers.
Razz

By the way: still appreciating your review of Heaven's Memo Pad. Definitely a good series that's under the radar (and its box art will also detract buyers who don't read Shelf Life).

I've watched it 4 times since purchasing it. I love a series with a high re-watch factor. Makes my purchases investments, rather than shelf-filling collectibles.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:13 am Reply with quote
I have Zac to thank for watching Maid-sama!. I never would have picked it up if it wasn't for his excellent rating and preview he gave for the Spring 2010 Preview Guide. I liked the show a lot and ended up rating it as 'Good', though it could have been higher if there was more resolution. It could have done with being faster-paced (and cutting out the awful arc with the snobby boys), but it was still an enjoyable show that I felt was worth watching.
thenix

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:38 am Reply with quote
none of the series seem my thing. I'm busy watching Magi and Pokemon B&W lol. (and gaming of course)
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:28 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:

Keichitsu0305 wrote:
Is that a Time of Eve Boxset?!

Yes! Imported straight from the motherland herself early last year for about $65. Nowadays, though, you can get a copy here for only $50.

(^O^) Thanks for the link.
Oh and great carpentry skills~
RoverTX

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:29 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
It's no surprise that the original manga was created by a man.

http://zero.mods.jp/

I am pretty sure the creator is female unless that is one giant marketing ploy.

What I am surprised about is how they marketed Maid Sama considering how much Yaio female oriented pandering there is in it. Not to mention she basically ends up with a reverse harem...
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Tokyopop handled the manga packaging for Maid-Sama horribly as well. If I hadn't previously read it through scanlations, I wouldn't have gone near it based on their description. It's still oh so very hard to get some of my friends to try reading it.
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Mikeski wrote:

On that subject, I liked the handling of the protagonist's practically-non-existent skirt in Shangri-La, too. No flashes for the audience, but random comments about underwear patterns from the characters she was kicking in the head. Cool

Hilarious, is that in the sub or the dub? I don't really recall that in the fansub version I originally watched it in, and I have been holding out hope for a Blu Ray instead of DVD box.

As for the shelves: Nice! Great collection for so little time in it. Mine have been retreaded and retooled so many times that my time in is not as helpful as you might think. You display things very well, I am envious!
kameoosama

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad that Shangri-La was well received! I watched the show a year or two ago when I think it was just on Crunchyroll and It's nice to see something that weaves such an alien-seeming world out of things that aren't even really sci-fi anymore! (carbon trading is something that many countries are working toward setting up right now [The united states is one of the few hold-outs of course,] Arcologies are in the planning stages in a couple of places, and well Anthropogenic Global Climate Change is pretty much accepted fact by like 99% of pretty much anyone who's done any research relating to it and/or can interpret the studies. No word yet on much of the other weirdness.) however, I think I have pretty much the opposite reactions on Range Murata's designs. I'm familiar with him from art books and Power Instinct and so I just start getting into the way the costumes are designed which isn't warm at all (I love them so much though!) I think the reason why it takes so long for the connections between these seemingly disparate groups to make itself clear is because spoiler[they're putting off revealing the secret behind Atlas that they keep alluding to until as close to the climax as possible.]

My favorite bit of "Don't judge things by their covers" was Welcome to the NHK personally. Not because the covers didn't reflect the content of the show, but because the covers were actually designed to make you as uncomfortable as possible if you actually went into a store to buy them instead of ordering them online (probably anyway) and to make the covers something you wouldn't show to non-otaku friends. Basically, they were designed to put you in the same mindset as the Satou. Which is terrible and genius at the same time.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:52 pm Reply with quote
RoverTX wrote:
Animegomaniac wrote:
It's no surprise that the original manga was created by a man.

http://zero.mods.jp/

I am pretty sure the creator is female unless that is one giant marketing ploy.

What I am surprised about is how they marketed Maid Sama considering how much Yaio female oriented pandering there is in it. Not to mention she basically ends up with a reverse harem...

Yes, Fujiwara Hiro is a woman.

It's been a while since I've watched the series but I don't understand what "Yaio[sic] female oriented pandering" you are referring to.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Well, it's a recurring joke that Yukimura [vicepresident? not sure on the name] is very girly and is often forced to dress as a girl. Usui molests him frequently -there's even a spoiler[kiss scene-] and there's also some hints of him being very close with [guy that was scared of girls and tried to spoiler[hypnotize] Misaki]
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:50 pm Reply with quote
NeoPhoenixTE wrote:
Just gotta comment on one thing on the shelves: Anyone who has a fscking Dragonzord on their shelf wins in my book! Very Happy

That's actually very precious to me. It used to belong to my oldest brother and I always wanted it (especially since I had the original Megazord), and so when he went off to college he gave it to me. That was 14 years ago and it's been on display somewhere in my room ever since.

CrowLia wrote:
Animerican14 wrote:
I guess I do wonder sometimes, though, where the money for all this comes from or where you get the time to even collect and manage all this, given that collectors like you might be a college student (such as myself). It could be a matter of differing financial situations; it could also be just how we appropriate our own money, where my percentage of anime-related purchases isn't as high as yours. Anyway, it really isn't my business-- just wanted to get that out there.

I always wonder about this too. The average age for ANN users is around 20-30 right? How do you people afford all this? I'm always left at awe.

Oh, well, I'm seriously envious of all that space. Even if I had the money to buy all that stuff, I wouldn't have any room to store it [typing from a cramped bedroom, sharing with little sister. 4 square meters, at most]

Man, if I was financially privileged that thing would be triple the size. It basically comes down to the fact that anime is my only hobby. I mean, when I'm done paying bills and doing other boring grown up stuff, all that's really left is buying anime. When that's the case it just grows and grows and grows. I also didn't go to college, and so I don't have any of those types of bills to pay.
Animerican14 wrote:
Innocent, curious question though-- I presume that you got two of each of the "limited edition" sets for Madoka Magica? I see that you have each of the 12 episode end cards represented.

Nah, I only bought one set. The wall tack I used doesn't leave a stain or sticks, so hanging them up isn't a problem. I'm a "collector extraordinaire", not "insane keep-it-mint guy".

Ortensia1980 wrote:
And how does that magical girl Arcueid figure look by the way? I've been contemplating buying that one for quite some time now...

Best $20 I'll probably ever spend. Since it's a Type Moon figure SEGA probably gave it the extra special treatment, and it shows. I mean, that Minami bunny girl next to it is also from SEGA, but they're just from different worlds. If you can get it, get it.

potatochobit wrote:
aaron, is that k-on! on DVD, nooooo....!

Fret not, that's an art box designed to hold blu-ray copies of K-ON!.

Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
@The King of Harts - I figured you had to have a custom shelf unit, considering you take pride in displaying the box art of your collection. It's finally nice to see what you've been bragging about these years.

Wait, you've never seen my shelves or collection? In the Community section I talked about the process of deciding how to build it, what it looked like after I built it, and have a Spotlight dedicated to it where I droned on and on and on about it for almost 9000 words. I even updated it recently. I know you don't hang on to every word I say, but there's been ample opportunities to see it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:53 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
I even updated it recently. I know you don't hang on to every word I say, but there's been ample opportunities to see it.

I'm at a loss for words. I never saw those posts or simply just don't remember them.
Anime cry

Getting old sucks.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:57 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Well, it's a recurring joke that Yukimura [vicepresident? not sure on the name] is very girly and is often forced to dress as a girl. Usui molests him frequently -there's even a spoiler[kiss scene-] and there's also some hints of him being very close with [guy that was scared of girls and tried to spoiler[hypnotize] Misaki]

Personally I thought nothing of those scenes and I'm a bl fan. I only took them as jokes used for comedic effect, and not as yaoi material. Slashing Maid Sama! never even crossed my mind, but that's just me.
gorilla491

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:56 am Reply with quote
Lesson of the week! LOL! Don't judge a book by it's cover! Smile
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Those are gorgeous shelves, TKoH. Every time I see how neatly everything is placed, and then I look at my own crowded shelves; the anime I have in boxes and the anime that's stacked on my floor in various spots and I weep. One day...one day...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4