• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
General Manga Questions & References Thread

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dranxis

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:10 pm Reply with quote
It's been a long time since I've read it, but I don't remember a kissing scene.... (there might have been one, actually... my memory's terrible) But 003 did spoiler[admit to loving him at some point].

And basically what I meant before that volume 10 is the end of the series: it continued on in a sort of "part 2" after that because the fans wanted more, but Ishinomori died before he could finish that part 2. From what I've heard, we English readers aren't missing anything: after volume 10 supposedly the story becomes really bad.
Spyderkb

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Greetings All Smile

Well, I just caught the Manga bug, and am wanting to know what Manga magazines are available in the U.S. I can sample what types of stories I might like to get the Tankubons for.

Got Shonen Jump, and have heard about Shojo Beat. Are there any others out there?
Satanachia

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Folks are prolly getting sick of these types of questions but, I've read the synopsis of Battle Royal and it sounds like a ripping good read. I want to know if the story is good through the whole series and doesn't take a drastic down fall like Gantz 2nd Stage(anime). Also are the characters well formed* like strong main characters and little or no whiny weaklings.

I've tried to glance through the first volume but all I can find is volume 15.
ShadrachAnki

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:12 am Reply with quote
Spyderkb wrote:
Got Shonen Jump, and have heard about Shojo Beat. Are there any others out there?

While there have been other manga magazines around, to the best of my knowledge the only ones currently in circulation are Shonen Jump and Shojo Beat.

I believe that magazines like NewtypeUSA and Anime Insider also have manga chapters and/or preview that run in them, but I don't know more than that.

~Shadrach Anki
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:37 am Reply with quote
Satanachia wrote:
I want to know if the story is good through the whole series and doesn't take a drastic down fall like Gantz 2nd Stage(anime).

Nah, it pretty much stays the same in quality story-wise throughout the whole 15 volumes. I'd say the art remains pretty consistent as well, and when you get to the 15th volume it feels like such a fast read and it's hard to believe you've read 15 volumes of manga already. One thing though - you might not like the art style. It is really different from any other manga. There's also some sex scenes and lots of violence and blood everywhere.

Satanachia wrote:
Also are the characters well formed* like strong main characters and little or no whiny weaklings.

You pretty much have every character archetype in BR. You've got the reckless guys who aren't afraid of anything, and you've got the coward who hides in fear. You have girls that are crying in a corner and you have other girls trying to hunt everyone down. You've got perfectly sane people, and you've got people that are or become messed up in the head. Short people, tall people, athletes, nerds, etc. The main characters are pretty much "average"; they're not reckless but not really cowardly either. And they're not really whiny weaklings either (except for the first volume or so).

Quote:
I believe that magazines like NewtypeUSA and Anime Insider also have manga chapters and/or preview that run in them, but I don't know more than that.

One chapter a month will get you pretty frustrated though. And the manga being serialized in Newtype USA (dunno about Anime Insider), Angel Dust Neo, is pretty much a dull and cliched harem series involving alien girls.
fayers_07

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:46 am Reply with quote
is shojo beat available in asia?
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:53 pm Reply with quote
I just copy of Barefoot Gen volume one from the library. The introduction in the beginning says this version is an all-new translation, but it's still a "flipped" book that reads left-to-right. Is an unflipped version available? Also, I'm wondering if the original translation is any better than this, since this version has sentences like:

2004 Barefoot Gen vol.1, page two, with the exact grammar as shown below wrote:
Oh, it's 5:30 in the morning Daddy walks out the door With his lunchbox full of cheap noodles.

EDIT: I'm an idiot. Apparently these are lyrics to a song. How could I the music notes surrounding the word bubble?

Last edited by Wolverine Princess on Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
coldmug

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:05 am Reply with quote
i was wondering how come some manga takes forever to come out like i just bought dears volume 7 and i can't wait for volume 8 but it takes like 3 months for it to come out.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:18 pm Reply with quote
coldmug wrote:
i was wondering how come some manga takes forever to come out like i just bought dears volume 7 and i can't wait for volume 8 but it takes like 3 months for it to come out.

In the manga world, 3 months is pretty standard. There are a fair number of reasons for this. First off, by having a gap, I would expect that publishers and see how well a series is selling which will affect advertising and even printing, since they'll know roughly how many copies will sell. Also, I've heard that the bookstores themselves request that publishers don't send entire series at once, because it fills up their bookshelves too much.

But three months...that's not long at all, you won't find many series that are coming out faster. I've been waiting almost a year for the second volume of Absolute Boyfriend and Dramacon to come out, so be happy you only have to wait that long.
I_AM_L

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:33 am Reply with quote
Viz is mostly bimonthly though. They have a few trimonthly but that's just so japan can come out with more volumes. that's what they did with bleach, then they switched it to bi. D. Gray-Man is tri because it only has like 7 or 8 volumes in japan ( last i checked), and so is JoJo's Bizarre adventure. But that's only because they're only doing one arc so they have to drag it out. Plus the creator is the one who does the art edits, so that takes even longer.

the only Viz monthly manga right now is Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelist since Rurouni Kenshin ended.

Just read some other manga while you wait for the next DearS.
cadub77

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Guys, I need help.

I am a big anime fan who is starting to love manga.

My favs are Death Note, Bleach, and thats all the good ones I know of.

Please tell me the names of some great Manga with either a great story, or a good story and great action.. fudge it.. just tell me some *great* manga please Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
I_AM_L

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:48 am Reply with quote
That's weird...there used to be a reccomendations thread.

Plus you just named my 2 favorite manga. Try Fullmetal Alchemist, Dragon Ball, Hunter x Hunter, Yuyu Hakusho, Shadow Star, and One Piece. Those are some of my other favorites. Someone else might say Naruto...It's good one second, but stupid the next. I could go either way with it. Dr. Slump is good if you like comedy.

Last edited by I_AM_L on Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
cadub77

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:38 am Reply with quote
thank you, man.. Very Happy

Ill be sure to check those out.

thanks a ton
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
phantom77

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:36 am Reply with quote
I'm sure some of you get tired of this kind of question, but i require a little help. I have been reading Angel/Dust Neo, which is the manga insert in Newtype. I enjoy reading it. So I was wondering about Angel/Dust, is anything like Angel/Dust Neo?

Edit: just wondering if it has the same comedy, etc.

Last edited by phantom77 on Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kazuhiko

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:02 am Reply with quote
Hey guys! Do you know which Naruto X Sasuke dj these came from? Please? Just the title... I'm really desparate!! Anime cry

WARNING!
What you're about to see is YAOI!
Mr. Green

NaruSasu
NaruSasu 2
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 45