• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
General Manga Questions & References Thread

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tamaria

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:19 am Reply with quote
'Book of the year' is a special within the magazine. It's an end-of-the-year kind of thing. Many magazines do something similar.
loube31

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:59 am Reply with quote
thank you very much Surprised
shaggyforum

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Hi, does anyone know how to determine the likelyhood of a manga being put into a box set. Does it need to be so popular that it has an anime?

My friend lent me her first 5 volumes of 20th Century boys (by Naoki Urasawa) as an introduction to mangas. Now I need to read them all but I've discovered that many mangas are put into box sets with large savings and extra material so I'm curious if anyone thinks that one will be put into a box set when it's completed later this year as well as how a veteran manga reader would predict a box set for any manga.

Thanks very much for your time Anime smallmouth
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:35 pm Reply with quote
In my experience, it's actually pretty rare for manga to be put into box sets.

Unlike anime, which generally come in the (around) 13 or 26 or 52 episode lengths, and are easily broken into sets of 13 episodes each, many of the more popular manga that come out in the US don't have a pre-determined number of volumes. Or they're not as popular, and therefore not as likely to bring in enough money to support multiple printings.

Off the top of my head, there are only two companies that have done manga box sets. One is Tokyopop, who did sets for at least Magic Knight Rayearth (one for MKR and one for MKR2, each with a small character book packaged with it), and .hack//Legend of the Twilight (which didn't come with extras). I think they may have done sets for Cardcaptor Sakura as well, but I'm not certain. Regardless, they're now a defunct company, so it's a moot point.

The only other company I've noticed that has done a box set was Viz, who did a special-edition box for Naruto when they reached the time-skip in the series, which had all of the pre-skip volumes together (which was in the 20s or 30s, IIRC). However, Naruto had been in print for quite a number of years at that point, so it made sense to re-issue the earlier volumes, so people who may have missed them could get caught up easier, and Naruto's popular enough to justify a re-release.

What you'll find more commonly, with manga, are omnibus releases. Omnibuses are usually 2-3 volumes of the manga in one binding. Early omnibus releases were a bit notorious for bad binding, but now, at least for Yen Press's releases, that seems to be fixed.

Still, most omnibus editions are either the initial US release, or it's a re-release by a different company (such as the Clover and Cardcaptor Sakura omnibuses, where they were originally published by Tokyopop). Or, like with Naruto, they're just so stupidly popular that the company is guaranteed to make money by rereleasing them for a third time.

I don't know 20th Century Boys in particular, but I personally doubt that there's much demand for box sets (especially as it wouldn't evenly break down other than to 11 and 11, and both 11-book and 22-book sets are rare). Nor is it likely to get an omnibus release. Looking on TSRI, the books aren't being discounted further than their normal prices, so they're probably not low-sellers, but I still doubt it.
shaggyforum

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
In my experience, it's actually pretty rare for manga to be put into box sets.

Unlike anime, which generally come in the (around) 13 or 26 or 52 episode lengths, and are easily broken into sets of 13 episodes each, many of the more popular manga that come out in the US don't have a pre-determined number of volumes. Or they're not as popular, and therefore not as likely to bring in enough money to support multiple printings.

Off the top of my head, there are only two companies that have done manga box sets. One is Tokyopop, who did sets for at least Magic Knight Rayearth (one for MKR and one for MKR2, each with a small character book packaged with it), and .hack//Legend of the Twilight (which didn't come with extras). I think they may have done sets for Cardcaptor Sakura as well, but I'm not certain. Regardless, they're now a defunct company, so it's a moot point.

The only other company I've noticed that has done a box set was Viz, who did a special-edition box for Naruto when they reached the time-skip in the series, which had all of the pre-skip volumes together (which was in the 20s or 30s, IIRC). However, Naruto had been in print for quite a number of years at that point, so it made sense to re-issue the earlier volumes, so people who may have missed them could get caught up easier, and Naruto's popular enough to justify a re-release.

What you'll find more commonly, with manga, are omnibus releases. Omnibuses are usually 2-3 volumes of the manga in one binding. Early omnibus releases were a bit notorious for bad binding, but now, at least for Yen Press's releases, that seems to be fixed.

Still, most omnibus editions are either the initial US release, or it's a re-release by a different company (such as the Clover and Cardcaptor Sakura omnibuses, where they were originally published by Tokyopop). Or, like with Naruto, they're just so stupidly popular that the company is guaranteed to make money by rereleasing them for a third time.

I don't know 20th Century Boys in particular, but I personally doubt that there's much demand for box sets (especially as it wouldn't evenly break down other than to 11 and 11, and both 11-book and 22-book sets are rare). Nor is it likely to get an omnibus release. Looking on TSRI, the books aren't being discounted further than their normal prices, so they're probably not low-sellers, but I still doubt it.

I just thought they might box the entire series. I just got the Fullmetal Alchemist boxset which was 27 volumes and a light novel so I didn't think 22 was out of the realm of possibility. Thanks very much for your input though.
Vardking

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:35 am Reply with quote
Rosiaro And vampire 2 is it on hiatus or something haven't seen a new chapter since 02/04/2012 and can't find anything else about it
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Some, hopefully simple, Silent Mobius manga questions.

What exactly are the "Complete Editions"? Do they compile the 10 volumes into 4 volumes? Or are they just retranslations of the first 4 volumes? If I bought the Complete editions would I need to buy volumes 5-10 if I want the rest of the series?
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Checking TSRI and the encyclopedia page, these are definitely not omnibus editions.

The Complete Edition books are 200 pages each, published by UDON. The older editions vary in book length (184 is the shortest of what TSRI has), and were published by Viz.

Content-wise, I don't know the differences, but Viz' volumes 2 and 4 (the only ones TSRI have) were 248 pages, and UDON's Complete Edition books are only 200 each, so they may have reformatting, similar to the newer Sailor Moon books (although the newer Sailor Moon books have extra pages, not less).

TSRI does have 5-10 of the Viz ones, in addition to UDON's 4, but you'd want to make sure of what UDON's books cover, first.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:11 am Reply with quote
I have the Udon 4 volumes of Silent Mobius. This is just the first four volumes of a much longer set. They just quit publishing the series long before it was "complete". Volume 4 came out in March 2011 so don't hold your breath waiting for the rest of the story.

Without a 1-1 comparison I can't say why the page count differs from the Viz volumes, but the Udon version does have some color pages and may have some extras also. In addition, Viz did not always use the Japanese volumes as a pattern and may have made the break between volumes at a different location.

My copy of the Viz version is in deep storage at the moment, but if you need a comparison let me know. I also have the Viz floppy version of the first couple of volumes. Viz published Silent Mobius in several versions.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Okay, my main concern was being able to finish the series. I got the first 3 Complete Editions from a book swap place, so if I can canibalize a complete set from what's out there that will be okay. How many volumes of the series are there actually though? Because Rightstuff has 10 available but the Silent Mobius manga page here says there's 12 volumes.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
How many volumes of the series are there actually though? Because Rightstuff has 10 available but the Silent Mobius manga page here says there's 12 volumes.

Viz released 12 volumes - volume 11 is easy enough to get hold of and quite cheap for a used copy from Amazon Marketplace or whatever (Mile High Comics have it new for about $9 if you don't like buying used) but volume 12 is scarce and selling for silly money.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:06 pm Reply with quote
@Kruszer
If you are going to combine editions, I've got a heads up for you.

The first three volumes of the Viz edition cover all four of the Udon edition. No color pages. The Viz edition is flopped.

Viz published Silent Mobius in comic book form in 21 issues between 6/91 and 11/93. The first 11 issues were colorized and the first 6 issued as two graphic novels, also colorized. These were reissued as the most recent graphic novel #1 in March 1999. The remaining issues covered through the Udon volume 4 (which reports its self as the end of stage 1) and were republished as graphic novels 2 and 3 in April and May of 1999. In May 1999 they again began publishing the story in comic book form for an additional 45 issues through February 2003. These covered through part of volume 11 of the series. They published vol12 in December 2003.

The Viz edition does not include the prequel "Mobius Klein" which was supposed to be part of the Udon edition. One issue in comic book form of the beginning of "Mobius Klein" was published by Fanboy Press (2/01). I'm not sure how many issues they intended. As far as I know the rest of that story has not been published in the US.

I hope this helps.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:22 am Reply with quote
So I should get the 4th Complete Edition from Udon and then 4-12 of the VIZ editions then? (Since I already have the first 3 Udon complete editions.)

If 11 and 12 are the rarest I should probably start with those then.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:27 am Reply with quote
@ Kruszer

That is what I would do in your position. Volume 4 of the Udon edition has some extras not in the Viz edition and really looks good with the color pages.

The Viz editions are serviceable, but I wish Udon would finish the Complete Edition. I found the announcement when Udon started and they intended to include two additional volumes of side stories and the one volume Mobius Klein (a prequel). These aren't necessary to follow the series but would have been nice.
ggqt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know what's up with Deadman Wonderland?

It's been around two and a half months since the last chapter was released. Just wondering if it was canceled or anything.

Thank you in advance
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 31 of 45