• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
General Manga Questions & References Thread

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:14 pm Reply with quote
ayanami000 wrote:
is there any one who knows where i can read slam dunk interhigh league? the english version.

As st_owly kindly pointed out, links to scanlation sites aren't permitted.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Svcy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:39 am Reply with quote
What are omnibus size? If single volumes are 7.5" x 5", what are omnibus?
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:52 am Reply with quote
Omnibus are multiple volumes in the same book. And I already said in my post that most omnibus are in the larger format, of 6"x8.5" (some slightly larger, especially if they're hardcover). They're just thicker than individual books.
Touma

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:28 pm Reply with quote
I agree with what Dessa said, but there really are no guarantees about size.
The omnibus volumes of Inuyasha from Viz have a much larger page size than the single volumes.
The omnibus volumes of Inukami! from Seven Seas have the same page size as the singles.

If the size is important to you you will need to check each title to see how it was printed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Svcy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Onepiece omnibus had the same size as singles
Not sure about deathnote and dgrayman yet. I plan on buying this 3 as collection.

After seeing some images I think that vizbig 3 in 1 suits my taste. They are larger, better paper quality and better printing quality than the standard and omnibus. The only thing that bothers me in 3 in 1 is the spine cover can crack If I stretch them wider (do they?) cos they are thick and I don't want them damage
Touma

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Svcy wrote:
The only thing that bothers me in 3 in 1 is the spine cover can crack If I stretch them wider (do they?) cos they are thick and I don't want them damage

That is a potential problem, but so far it has never happened to me.
For at least some of the Inuyasha volumes Viz is using a binding offset, which seems to be unusual for manga publishers. Maybe that is why the pages are bigger.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:50 pm Reply with quote
@Svcy
All that the word "omnibus" tells you is that there is two or more volumes of manga published in one. As Touma said there is no guarantee about trim size. Omnibus volumes come in both of the standard manga sizes and may come even larger.

As far as cracking the spine, it is going to depend on the materials used by the individual publisher and by how they are handled by the reader. If you insist in opening them flat, you can break the spine of even a single volume. Omnibus volumes do damage easier but are fine if you take care of them.
Svcy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:58 am Reply with quote
I have thick books that have this kind of cover even if you stretched them wider, the spine wont crack. Vizbig cover looks better and thicker than omnibus and standard but I can't say if it is best since I'm only relying on someones videos and pictures, I can't touch them. Sometimes I use them as guide to practice drawing not just reading that's why I wanna stretch them and thick books are troublesome.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:59 am Reply with quote
@Svcy
You haven't said where you are, but I'm beginning to get the idea that you are unable to see any of these manga volumes before you buy them. If that is the case, you should say so.

The problem is that you keep asking general questions. With regard to omnibus volumes the answer is that some crack easier than others. However this varies from publisher to publisher and from series to series from the same publisher. You should ask about a specific publisher's line of omnibus volumes and, if possible, the series.

I don't have any of the Viz Big volumes so I can't tell you anything about them, someone else may be able to answer the question. I do think that if you press any paperback book flat open and leave it that way it is likely to develop a spine crease. Even hardback books can be damaged that way, though it doesn't always show on the spine.
Svcy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:23 am Reply with quote
is it right that the same edition is different in size?

http://www.amazon.com/Death-Note-Black-Edition-Vol/dp/1421539640/ref=aag_m_pw_dp?ie=UTF8&m=A2E9OWRCF7T08Y

http://www.amazon.com/Death-Note-Black-Vol-2/dp/1421539659/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1439824077&sr=8-2&keywords=deathnote+black+edition

vol 1: 5 x 7.5"
vol 2-6: 5.5x8.4"

it seems vol 1 are smaller and the rest are even. I was planning on buying the whole set but that vol 1 being smaller is bothering me. I already asked costumer personnel and they said that is the publishers. I saw this videos on youtube with all the vol and they are all even.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1i_t8ag1xU
Saffire

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:26 am Reply with quote
My Black Edition set is evenly sized. It's probably just a listing mistake.
Venom900

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Question about Shikabana Hime
I was wondering if anyone has finished the manga and could please tell me how it ended? It's been bugging me for years about the story, and sadly english translations of the series has taken an eternity only to get a few feet into the water with it. I just wanna know how it ends to put my mind at ease lol
Svcy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Any news on future viz big titles?

I've been searching but since 2010, they have not released many titles. Do they allow requests? I wish they release some long running manga like case closed, one piece, and shaman king but i think this is just wishful thinking. Id also love to see black lagoon and soul eater on vizbig edition.

Vizbig is the solution for collecting long running manga and is by far best quality overall.
st_owly

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:55 pm Reply with quote
They seem to have given up on them. The omnibuses they're publishing now are the same size as normal Viz volumes, and thin, cheap paper.
Svcy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:50 am Reply with quote
Anyone knows from what volume shaman king manga ended in the anime?

This whole tournament thing and then Hao fused with Yo then he suddenly become strong, then the main protagonist saves the day and then it ends.

Does the anime adapts the events in the manga?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 42 of 45