• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Films News

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
one3rd

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 6:21 pm Reply with quote
These two announcements have put my jaw on the floor.
Ryusui

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:00 pm Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:
These two announcements have put my jaw on the floor.

Only the first one for me.

Evangelion on CN, while not a foregone conclusion, isn't nearly as thoroughly bizarre as the thought of anybody producing a dub for Superdimensional Fortress Macross.

I mean, you know, Harmony Gold's stance on that was something along the lines of "when hell freezes over".
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:15 pm Reply with quote
ADV, first you saved Gatchaman, now you saved Macross.

You are heroes to fans of old-school anime everywhere.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Did anyone noticed that Chrono Crusade and Peacemaker will be on Showtime? Rolling Eyes
arxane

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Unholy_Nny wrote:
Huh..... I guess if it airs on AS there won't really be any edits.... How many edits for gore have there been on AS? also, with some of the stuff I've seen in paranoia agent and Samurai Champloo lately.... I don't think any sexual content edits would be made.... So, it all really depends on what CN block it airs.... Toonami, regular CN, or Miguzi would be bad... AS might actually be a GOOD place for it.

Recently, very few gore edits have been made in AS shows, the only one I can recall being in FMA when blood exploded out someone's head. Other than that, blood has slipped through unscathed.

But yes, I am a little disappointed that ADV didn't specify which block EVA will be airing. Because now, until we do find out, we're gonna hear people complaining about it possibly being on Toonami, how it'll be butchered if it's aired outside AS, blah blah blah blah blah.

It'll be like FMA all over again when Funi first announced it'll be on TV and didn't specify which block.
LuckyAstei

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Macross getting a proper dub *is totally spechless*

YYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *raises his fist in victory* yeah...that means I'll definatlly have two versions of Macross on my shelf no if's and's or but's about it. *slighly in a fanboy haze*
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
overkill13905

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:54 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Did anyone noticed that Chrono Crusade and Peacemaker will be on Showtime? Rolling Eyes

when
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:57 pm Reply with quote
From AnimeOnDVD:

AnimeOnDVD wrote:
David Williams, Matt Greenfield, and John Ledford led the ADVFilms. This continues about how much more subdued this con is compared to the last two years. Matt did live action first and mentioned Fuccon, a show shot using mannqeuins. I have no idea really what this is, I'm just reporting it. Shadowskill the TV series based. Michel was another title. They also acquired Macross from Harmony Gold and are trying to the the music and effects track to do a dub. In September, the dub verison for Sakura Diares with the missing footage will be released. In October, Godannar will be coming out. Loki and Ghost Stories will be coming out in October. For November, Shadowskill and the MOby Dick (annouced at AX2004) anime will be out. Also practically everything will be coming out again in thin paks. Princess Tutu volume 2 should be coming out in the Fall, late October, early Novemeber. Kaleidostar second season will be coming out near the end of the year, beginning of next year. In NewType, Lagoon is coming to an end, and Evangelion: ANgelic Days (Girlfriend of Steel 2). Eva will be showing on Cartoon Network. Also, Peacemaker and Chrono Crusade on Showtime. The Q&A seesion began. On Saint Seiya, there are currently negotiating for past volume 12, due to another company in Japan starting to releast their stuff here. ADV passed on tactics, the anime.

Oh, ADV passed up Tactics. Too bad.
time_trapper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:13 pm Reply with quote
arxane wrote:
But yes, I am a little disappointed that ADV didn't specify which block EVA will be airing. Because now, until we do find out, we're gonna hear people complaining about it possibly being on Toonami, how it'll be butchered if it's aired outside AS, blah blah blah blah blah.

The thing is...two episodes of Evangelion HAVE aired on Toonami before. If it's played on Toonami, then we already have a benchmark for how it'll be edited...

animenewsnetwork.com/columns/edit-list.php?id=122
animenewsnetwork.com/columns/edit-list.php?id=123
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:15 pm Reply with quote
'Eva' on TV? Shocked Now there something you don't see. Well, it won't be long before the movie. I guess 'ADVfilms' wants to pump EVA into everyone's life. If you haven't heard of 'EVA' you will. It will be a household name. I can't wait for the merchandising. 'EVA' Poptarts. Good ol', AsukaShinjiRei goodness. Laughing

As for the 'Macross' TV series, I thought that was already released awhile back. But they want to do a new dub for TV?
Man, it's going to feel like 'Robotech' all over again. Laughing
I should have known that the 21st century was going to feel like the late 80's.
Chiroptera Rex

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:55 pm Reply with quote
arxane wrote:
Unholy_Nny wrote:
Huh..... I guess if it airs on AS there won't really be any edits.... How many edits for gore have there been on AS? also, with some of the stuff I've seen in paranoia agent and Samurai Champloo lately.... I don't think any sexual content edits would be made.... So, it all really depends on what CN block it airs.... Toonami, regular CN, or Miguzi would be bad... AS might actually be a GOOD place for it.

Recently, very few gore edits have been made in AS shows, the only one I can recall being in FMA when blood exploded out someone's head. Other than that, blood has slipped through unscathed.

It'll be like FMA all over again when Funi first announced it'll be on TV and didn't specify which block.

I've seen that NGE was on Toonami's "Giant Robot Week" a few years back, but I can't understand why ADV wouldn't have said [AS] instead of CN. They're pretty separate entities now and [AS] would not be so crazy with the edits as CN will be. I wonder if ADV even knows that [AS] is separate from CN now.

Well, of course you'll be hearing about edits. NGE has tons of gory moments and fan service scenes in the series and it's pretty obvious that CN will have to edit quite a bit. [AS] edited Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex a bit, but not as much as one might expect (nudity in "DECOY" and "JUNGLE CRUISE" and a particularly gory scene in "RE-VIEW" along with all the swearing still not allowed on TV). And there was actually a second major edit for gore in FMA in "Marcoh's Notes."

I hope that ADV will put this on [AS] so they can keep the edits to a minimum. The edit list on ANN brought up by time_trapper when NGE aired on Toonami do not fill me with any hope about NGE on Toonami. Perhaps times have changed enough that many of these edits will not happen the second time around.
RaRaMu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:08 pm Reply with quote
I think Evangelion is going on television for shear exposure. They are probably doing this for the sake of the live action movie that's coming out. ADV is probably trying to build a much bigger fan base than it already has. That's my thought.
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
ADV, first you saved Gatchaman, now you saved Macross.

You are heroes to fans of old-school anime everywhere.

Well...we'll see. I have the AnimEigo DVD's for Macross and to be honest, I could care less about a dub. But ADV may be attempting to bring in more casual fans who would rather see dubs.

The big problem as I see it with Macross is the mass confusion with Robotech and their use of the term "Macross". I nearly made a huge mistake and purchased Macross Saga a couple of years ago before I knew better.

As for EVA, I watched that back when I was into dubs, so for old times sake, I'll watch the CN version. Anime smile
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:26 pm Reply with quote
time_trapper wrote:
The thing is...two episodes of Evangelion HAVE aired on Toonami before. If it's played on Toonami, then we already have a benchmark for how it'll be edited...

There is no way Cartoon Network would even consider putting Evangelion on Toonami. Not only does some content become almost uneditable in later episodes, but the series is too heavy and adult-oriented for Toonami's target audience. Fullmetal Alchemist would be a better fit for Toonami before Evangelion would ever be considered for the block. And I think it's safe to say that it would not go to Miguzi or regular Toonami, as new anime has never gone their in the past, much less been appropriate for the younger audiences. Therefore, it's 99% guaranteed that Evangelion will show up on Adult Swim, unless it goes on late night Cartoon Network like Gundam SEED and .hack//Legend of the Twilight Bracelet.

I'm happy that this happened (I can throw this in my friend's face, who predicted rather assuredly that it would never appear on cable), but since I have seen numerous versions of the series and own the platinum edition, I'd rather ADV had picked something that hasn't already been watched by most anime fans.

And a Macross dub? Jeez, hell must be colder than empty space if it's frozen over twice in one day.
Ergzay

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:51 pm Reply with quote
I completely agree with the previous poster. There is no way in the world that EVA could go on regular Toonami even on late night. In Gundam Seed there was just some blood and things. In EVA there is blood EVERYWHERE covering EVERYTHING. That's how it is in some episodes. And in the last 3 episodes or so there are scenes that are very hard to understand showing nude bodies of Asuka telling Shinji to "become one with me." You know what that means. Rolling Eyes If they do put it on Toonami the series will instantly become crap as they will have to completely cut out some episodes because you can't edit them enough.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8