• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Films News

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IanC

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:01 pm Reply with quote
AstroNerdBoy wrote:

As for EVA, I watched that back when I was into dubs, so for old times sake, I'll watch the CN version. Anime smile

Wait, so you sued to a fan of dubs but your not anymore?
I really dont get how that happens.....
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:54 pm Reply with quote
LordRobin wrote:
Ataru wrote:
I would certily hope they do get with AnimEigo about the subtitle track and the cleaned up verison.

Given that ADV and AnimEigo are said not to like each other very much, I would be stunned ever to find them cooperating on anything. The closest they've gotten would be the dub of You're Under Arrest, and in that case ADV just used the same dubbing studio.

Every year I become more amazed that AnimEigo is still in business. They've shot themselves in the foot so many times, it's a wonder any of their employees have any toes left.

------RM
I thought I was the only one who thought that. I can remember the heated debate I had with AnimEigo a few years ago about getting UY dubbed. They were adamant that "the majority of our customers don't want dubs" But when I pointed that if they didn't have dubs as well then they were ignoring a lot of potential new customers, they argued that "the dubbed market wasn't that great." Of course now they have seen the errs of their position and have started dubbing UY. I hope they dub the KOR OVA as well someday too. But they can't say they weren't warned in the past.Rolling Eyes
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Raoh:
Quote:
As far as I know, when you liscense something, you get all rights to the soundtrack aswell, including, but not limited to, opening and ending credits, bgms, etc etc.

As we all know, that's not necessarily the case. WKRP is the worst example of this unfortunate trend.

Robin:
Quote:
Given that ADV and AnimEigo are said not to like each other very much, I would be stunned ever to find them cooperating on anything.

Animeigo would appreciate the cash, but their pride might be more important.

Quote:
Every year I become more amazed that AnimEigo is still in business. They've shot themselves in the foot so many times, it's a wonder any of their employees have any toes left.

I'm surprised they've been able to get this far on UY, myself.

Super:
Quote:
I was actually criticising GATSU for assuming that everyone who watches a Dub is just a "casual" Fan.

Most people are; some people aren't. I prefer Cromartie dubbed, for example, even though I favor subs.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 2:39 pm Reply with quote
If ADV doesn't get a full Macross dub, the blame will rest squarely on Harmony Gold.
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Pat Payne wrote:
Necros Antiquor wrote:
It has happened a few times in the past that music is negotiated separately from the anime series. Recent examples that come to mind are the opening to Z Gundam and the ending to Hare+Guu, which are both replaced with instrumental themes.

Most artists evolve over time, and sometimes they do not feel that their old music is representative of their newer music, and would prefer to be associated with their new music instead. At least, that's one reason why she might not want to be associated with old Macross music.

A couple of holes in that theory: In both of those cases, it wasn't the artist who cried foul: In the Z Gundam instance, It was IIRC, the particular publisher (not the artist) for that song that put the kibosh on the opening theme. Most likely, the licensor wanted more money for the license than Bandai was prepared to pay. The issue with Guu may be more complex, because IIRC, The US licensee was mentioning unspecified copyright problems in using the song.

In most cases, the singers for anime shows have very little say in how their music is used, as it's often a work for hire. Mari Ijima does not own the songs from Macross (even "An Angel's Paints", which she wrote). They're held by Victor Music Industries, which is the licensor for all the music from the various Macross shows. She gets royalties, I'm sure, from her performance of those songs when they're rebroadcast or repackaged on DVD.

Even the Beatles, who wrote all of those great hits, can't claim ownership of them. The rights reside, (in?)famously with Michael Jackson and ATV Northern Holdings.

Besides, Mari Ijima's made peace of sorts with Macross, and she performs "Ai Oboeteimasuka" and "An Angel's Paints" and a couple others along with her later songs from her singing career here in Los Angeles.

My theory was separate from the fact that some anime series can't keep certain songs when crossing the pond. The theory was only trying to explain the question of why an artist might not want the music to be used, not stating whether or not the artist had any control over it.

In light of the current update, I wouldn't be surprised if Harmony Gold didn't actually allow ADV to make a dub of Macross, and that ADV was just speculating it might be able to. It'd be great if Harmony Gold would released their tight grip on the Robotech series to make necessary additions like a proper English dub, but this update pretty much kills my speculation for it.
Shadowe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 3:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm not 100% on this, but i'm pretty sure that in most (if not all) states it's okay to air adult content after midnight. I might be wrong on this but i've lived in 3 so far and you could find anything from those eurofilms that give you the Screaming Whafucks to softcore around 2am.
.Sy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:18 pm Reply with quote
xanbcoo wrote:
I'm assuming this will be the remastered "platinum" version they're gonna show.
Er...forgive me for being slow on the uptake, but what's the difference between platinum and whatever the other version is?
Swordfish_II

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:40 pm Reply with quote
.Sy wrote:
Er...forgive me for being slow on the uptake, but what's the difference between platinum and whatever the other version is?

One looks like a 10-year-old, low bugeted series, the other actually looks quite nice.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, if ADV can't guarantee a dub for macross, then what was the point of ADV taking the license?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
gavv71

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:49 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if just like on Megazone 23, Unkle Carl will also pass on working on Macross for ADV, going 'I've already dubbed it enough' Anime smile

gavv
Panon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 7:03 pm Reply with quote
gavv71 wrote:
I wonder if just like on Megazone 23, Unkle Carl will also pass on working on Macross for ADV, going 'I've already dubbed it enough' Anime smile

Yeah, we can only hope. I certainly won't buy their release if he is involved in *any* way, no matter how minor.

I'm just struggling to see how getting the materials to make the dub could be difficult. Even the Animeigo dvds had the separated effects and music tracks on them, so it's not like the masters existing is a question. If HG withholds them, then the release is utterly pointless.
Lupin_333

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Eva's got a lot of religious content... I wonder if any of that's going to be excised for the sake of "political correctness"...

I'm still trying to figure out why they're showing this over something more censors-and-parent-groups friendly shows ADV owns the rights to like Dai-Guard or Dunbine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Andromeda

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:16 pm Reply with quote
The cross-shaped explosions were left in last time, and I didn't hear anything about Misato not wearing her cross necklace, so the "relgious" content is probably fine.

It's going to be on [adult swim] or late nights, I can almost guarantee it. It's too heavy, too serious, to complex, too gory, and too sexually charged, for them to air on Toonami without being completely insane.

The channel is the same as [as], and the same company owns both, they're just "seperate" for RATINGS PURPOSES. Wink So this may be why ADV didn't bother (or know enough) to specify when it was airing.

Quote:
Also, I don't see the point in airing Evangelion in the first place, unless the live-action movie's actually shooting, because ADV has made as much money out of it that they possibly can, mostly due to its 15 minutes being up 8 years ago

Not so. The Plantinum version seems to be selling quite well, and - here's a hint - people MY AGE (19, in case you're wondering) were still in their "Sailor Moon" stage "8 years ago", if they were even in to anime at all yet.

Let's look at the facts, shall we?

1. It's been about ten years since the original Japanese release of Eva's TV series (I don't know how long it took to bring it over to the US, but I'm guessing it was only a year or two?). People who were mere children at the time of its original release would not have watched it. I was between 9 and eleven, for god's sake, and had never even heard of "anime". Hell, the Pokemon craze hadn't started yet even, had it? ADV is clearly marketing to the new, younger (Adult Swim's considered appropriate for 14 and up) generation that has either never heard of Eva, or is curious about it, having heard about it from older fans.

2. Notice how I'm equating being on (we can assume) [adult swim] with marketing? [as] averages 400,000+ (way, WAY +!) viewers per program. That's close to a half a million viewers, not all of whom have seen it, and some of whom may never have heard of it (you never know with the younger fans). It's a smart move, from a marketing standpoint.

3. ...And not only a good move from a marketing standpoint from ADV; the people who program [as] know damn well how popular it is, and how edgy it is.

4. Thanks for assuming you know what I've watched. Rolling Eyes I've only read part of the manga, seen the movies, and seen the first five episodes of the Platinum Edition. I havne't seen the TV series in it's entirety at all yet. And yet, I've been an anime fan for... ah, seven years now. Not everyone who's even been a fan for a while has seen the whole series. Wink

5. ADV will get or already has gotten money for allowing someone to show it on TV.

So in other words, the reason ADV is letting them show it on TV?

Money, money, marketing, money, marketing... oh, and money. Wink And did I mention money?

Not that I mind, of course. The more money they make, the more licenses they can buy and the more money they can put in to making quality releases. Not to mention, I now get to see Eva, hopefully without TOO many cuts... for FREE. Razz So I'm not exactly complaining.

Although the effect this will have on Evangelion fanfiction is... bad. Then again,the fanfiction is so often so horrible already, maybe it'll only make a difference in the amount. Laughing

-Andromeda
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Vukir

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:14 pm Reply with quote
.Sy wrote:
xanbcoo wrote:
I'm assuming this will be the remastered "platinum" version they're gonna show.

The "Platinum" editions are cleaned up, and in some cases, re-dubbed episodes of Evangelion. ADV began with the last two disks of Eva (eps 21-26), and labeled them "Directors' Cut". Some changes were that Karu's voice was re-dubbed, extra footage was added, and they cleaned up the audio and video. The Platinum editions are the same, but 5.1 Dolby Digital surround, just applied to the rest of the series.

Although, interesting to note, there is a lot of additional footage added to the series. At least each episode has one new addition (if not more) that answer some questions or further a hidden part of the show, spoiler[Auska's declaration of love to Kaji on the flight deck of the air craft carrier, and the ensuing drama is just one of many].

That aside, the platinum editions are stunning. Here is an interesting question though, Ayanami and Auska are both 14/15 in the series... Anything on censor ship for that? I do remember seeing at least 1 Rei breast. Animated pedophila airing on [as] I doubt will go well.

But, that will probably be removed with the rest of it, when it is censored to heck and back.
Super Arrow

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Since when was Dunbine considered kid-friendly?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8