• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Seven Seas Adds A Centaur's Life, Love in Hell, Monster Musume Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ittoujuu

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm not the biggest fan of harem-ish stuff, so I'm hoping these series don't dilute their colorful premises with milquetoast protagonists. That said, I would check all three of these out, just for being novel and taking some timeworn concepts away from the norm. You've got my curiosity piqued, Seven Seas. I DO like mythical monsters, and I think there's fun to be mined from these scenarios, so long as they succeed at merging fantastical beings with the concerns of everyday life.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
I don't really know how anyone will feel about boinking a half snake/girl, but Monster Musume makes you wonder.. WHY NOT???

Dude, people have been writing about boinking half snake girls for centuries.

I quite literally (relatively speaking) just downloaded a raw copy of Monster Musume, because it looked interesting. But thanks to Seven Seas, I now don't have to bother with trying to translate it myself. First release date Halloween? It's in my budget spreadsheet now, and I'll be looking forward to it.

Never heard of A Centaur's Life, and I'm on the fence with it. I'll probably wait to see the reviews of it before committing.

I always thought that lamia's where sexy as well due to "breath of fire 1-3". Still I didn't realize it has been going on for nearly 100 years now... damn.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:22 pm Reply with quote
ittoujuu wrote:
I'm not the biggest fan of harem-ish stuff, so I'm hoping these series don't dilute their colorful premises with milquetoast protagonists. That said, I would check all three of these out, just for being novel and taking some timeworn concepts away from the norm. You've got my curiosity piqued, Seven Seas. I DO like mythical monsters, and I think there's fun to be mined from these scenarios, so long as they succeed at merging fantastical beings with the concerns of everyday life.

"A Centaur's Life" is not a harem series at all. There is no male protagonist. There are males in the series, but all of the major characters are girls. There is also a surprising amount of thought put into the setting and it brings up some interesting subjects (racism being a particularly prominent one).
ittoujuu

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:41 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
ittoujuu wrote:

"A Centaur's Life" is not a harem series at all. There is no male protagonist. There are males in the series, but all of the major characters are girls. There is also a surprising amount of thought put into the setting and it brings up some interesting subjects (racism being a particularly prominent one).

Well, yeah, Centaur's Life seems safe enough from that setup; it's mainly the other two series I was referring to. And they might be a-okay too - I have no real way of knowing because I first heard of them just today. It's just that the cycle of what sells right now always makes me suspicious by default. But hey, Thermae Romae was an off-kilter concept too and I had a good time with that one, so I want to at least front some optimism.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, A Centaur's Life sounds interesting and the thread apparently loves it, shall have to check it out for sure!
Animerican14

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Only read the first chapter of A Centaur's Life, and, uh, apparently the Centaur girl is faced with spoiler[the question of what her own set of lady parts] look like for the first time, due to her fears of them being like a cow's. Weirdly humorous, not NSFW (yet?), and cute-for-high-school-sort-of-way but still.... what? Laughing

Anyway, might be on the lookout for this. Wonder how long it'll be before monster girls become a more regular occurrence in anime, like all them imouto love interests we've been seeing around.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sepherest

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:59 pm Reply with quote
RAmmsoldat wrote:
im sure 4chan will be thrilled lol

My first thought was that these guys must be lurking in /a/'s monster girl threads...
But they're also the ones publishing the Railgun manga here so it's a given they've got their eyes on the board.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:31 pm Reply with quote
RAmmsoldat wrote:
im sure 4chan will be thrilled lol

/a/ has a massive hate-boner for the R1 industry, so...nope.

Real talk, I never really found the appeal of monster girls (I like my bishoujous to be at least 90% human) but good for their (freakishly) large fanbase I guess.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:
Only read the first chapter of A Centaur's Life, and, uh, apparently the Centaur girl is faced with spoiler[the question of what her own set of lady parts] look like for the first time, due to her fears of them being like a cow's. Weirdly humorous, not NSFW (yet?), and cute-for-high-school-sort-of-way but still.... what? Laughing

Anyway, might be on the lookout for this. Wonder how long it'll be before monster girls become a more regular occurrence in anime, like all them imouto love interests we've been seeing around.

The first chapter is a bit different from the others, since it was really a one shot originally.

The actual first chapter is a bit more representative as a whole.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

normally i dont care about anything 4chan, but this has me curious. why is that?
Myaow

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Oooh, a Centaur's Life looks like it has lovely art. I can't stop staring at the centaur girl's beautiful hair. ( * v * )
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:45 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:

normally i don't care about anything 4chan, but this has me curious. why is that?

It probably has more to do with FUNi's C&Ds than anything else. The only thing they seemed to be concerned with was the scanlations drying up. But when it comes to devotees of certain manga, they buy them. This one is popular, and people want to own it.
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Oh son of a crap, the last time they licensed a manga I followed, that vampire bun one, I was never able to read the rest of it ever again.

Buy it you say? Okay then, STOCK IT IN BOOK STORES or somewhere I can grab and buy it or something!

And before dance in the vampire bund there was Nymphet which they chickened out on.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Myaow wrote:
Oooh, a Centaur's Life looks like it has lovely art. I can't stop staring at the centaur girl's beautiful hair. ( * v * )

Hime's hair is a miracle of the universe.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Gon*Gon wrote:
Oh son of a crap, the last time they licensed a manga I followed, that vampire bun one, I was never able to read the rest of it ever again.

Buy it you say? Okay then, STOCK IT IN BOOK STORES or somewhere I can grab and buy it or something!

And before dance in the vampire bund there was Nymphet which they chickened out on.

It's not exactly hard to find. I also definitely saw it in my local bookstores, though I haven't been in one for quite some time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3