• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Return to Super Robot Island

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:06 am Reply with quote
Generic #757858 wrote:
BTW, didn't Imagawa say he's working on a new project? Has there been any info on that?

Anime-wise he'll probably continually be doing scripting and the like. In terms of directing I think it was mentioned that he was working on something that's still unannounced.

But he is also writing the story of the new G Gundam manga right now, with original character designer Kazuhiko Shimamoto doing the artwork. I'd love to read that manga, but can't yet.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:28 am Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Anime-wise he'll probably continually be doing scripting and the like. In terms of directing I think it was mentioned that he was working on something that's still unannounced.

Yeah, that's what I heard too. Fingers crossed for Great-Hen!

Quote:
But he is also writing the story of the new G Gundam manga right now, with original character designer Kazuhiko Shimamoto doing the artwork. I'd love to read that manga, but can't yet.

Oh, that's by him too? I'll have to check it out (provided that it won't be ignored by scanlators). Guess Giant Robo: The Day The Earth Burned (c'mon, ANWO!) worked out well for him then.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:23 am Reply with quote
[quote="Generic #757858"]
Lord Geo wrote:
Quote:

Oh, that's by him too? I'll have to check it out (provided that it won't be ignored by scanlators). Guess Giant Robo: The Day The Earth Burned (c'mon, ANWO!) worked out well for him then.

The new G Gundam manga has already been running for a few months already, so it's already been ignored by scanlators.
SantaBla

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:24 am Reply with quote
Generic #757858 wrote:
Lord Geo wrote:

Yeah, that's what I heard too. Fingers crossed for Great-Hen!

He announced at a con already that he's not working on Great-hen. I think it will be just another yokoyama adaptation, something like Babel 2 or Godmars.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:02 am Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
The new G Gundam manga has already been running for a few months already, so it's already been ignored by scanlators.

SantaBla wrote:
He announced at a con already that he's not working on Great-hen. I think it will be just another yokoyama adaptation, something like Babel 2 or Godmars.

Gutted.

Oh well, I guess an Imagawa remake of Godmars could be cool too. I was under the impression that Yokoyama's stuff was currently off limits, though.

Of course, seeing him do something original for a change would be nice too.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:47 pm Reply with quote
I couldn't get on with Dancouger back in the VHS days. It seemed like one of those 80s super-mecha shows that tried to channel the straight-faced seriousness of "realistic" Gundam mecha anime without the fun hyperbole of 70s super-mecha shows.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Laverne and Shirley meet Fonzie and his Talking Dog and They're All in the Army for Some Reason

That...would have been epic!! =D

Silliness aside, I am afraid to say I'm not as keen on giant robot action as many people (especially considering that as Mike put it, not many of these shows were brought to the U.S.). Since I'm an 80s baby, I was growing up on dinosaurs and superheroes rather than giant robots. Of course, I did get into them more once the 90s rolled in, but compared to you guys, I'm still a novice. I will give that MazinKaiser SKL a shot though once it's released here though.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:42 pm Reply with quote
I actually had the honor of watching Magnos. Didn't know that it was released here on VHS. A friend shared a viewing. Wow, that was some crazy stuff. But before that HIS friend showed me the original and told me he'd school me on some old-school stuff. I was sold. Ever since then I've been a fan of the older robot shows. Which was why I had no problem getting into GaoGaiGar and GB2. I also did have the early exposure of seeing the US version of Mazinger-Z aka Tranzor-Z back in the 80's on a trip in Chicago with my late grandmother. That was my first exposure to what it meant to be a Go Nagai fan. It's a shame that you don't see many robot shows today that can capture the older feel of the 70's and 80's. There have been a few but it seems that Gainax and Dynamic Pro might be the only ones that can pull it off effectively. Dynamic Pro especially because of the Mazinger franchise is very deeply rooted.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Dynamic Pro especially because of the Mazinger franchise is very deeply rooted.

They also have Getter Robo and it's various sequels, spinoffs and remakes. New Getter Robo (which I'm currently watching) is the most recent and a good starting point for those unfamiliar with the franchise.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:11 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Quote:
Laverne and Shirley meet Fonzie and his Talking Dog and They're All in the Army for Some Reason

That...would have been epic!! =D

That was an actual show in the 80's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwpnFg0cPv0
Paploo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:

I suppose it has a decent chance of getting picked up by Bandai manga though- they've been doing pretty well, and I'm curious if they'll branch out with their Gundam releases now that OO's done for the most part.
Clovis15

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Man, I actually have that Magnos the Robot DVD. I recently tracked it down after I finally indentified the name of a VHS I used to rent like crazy from a video rental as a kid back in the 80's long before I knew what anime was. Let me tell you, it is not easy to track the identity of something like that down when you have no clue at all what it was called (I was mainly drawn to the VHS's cover-art as a child).
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Interesting article, Mike Very Happy

I am aware of the Force Five, it was the earliest mecha anime for US audience to watch before Transformers and Voltron came in. I remember watching a clip of Force Five on Youtube, I saw a clip of Getter Robo G (Starvengers) and yeah teh dub was not on par. But still, it's a cool classic to see.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jrittmayer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:44 am Reply with quote
That was quite the intersting read. And I don't even like Mecha shows! I kinda want to go watch Gaiking now, I've only ever seen a couple episodes.

I have come to find your column the most interesting and though provoking of all the current columns on ANN right now.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
That was an actual show in the 80's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwpnFg0cPv0

...I think my brain just broke. X_X
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2