• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Astro Toy Special Edition: Toy Fair 2011

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davecabrera
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:31 am Reply with quote
I didn't see the Mallows there, but I was also extremely unimpressed by the prototype picture I saw a while back. It's like Bearbrick if nobody involved cared enough to make it look good. Promo art straight up copy-pasted onto a base figure? Get out.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:00 pm Reply with quote
davecabrera wrote:
It's like Bearbrick if nobody involved cared enough to make it look good.

You mean, it's so bad... it's good? Wink

When I saw the prototype, I nearly fell out of my chair laughing but I still want them.

They're not as bad as these designs, which ... no, you just have to see the 3rd picture for yourself.
*vomits a little on the inside*
davecabrera
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Oh my god, does the Q stand for "QUALITY"?
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:09 pm Reply with quote
No, the Q stands for "kill". In other words Kill-Joy figures. Rather realistic name, huh? Laughing

Noticed the Dark Magician Girl a week or two ago, but I'd say she's a bit plain compared to Touhou Project's witches/magical girls/whatever. Already ordered a plain figure... don't need another.
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:11 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
They're not as bad as these designs, which ... no, you just have to see the 3rd picture for yourself.
*vomits a little on the inside*

At least those are based on something specific, the The Haruhi catgirls set is waaaay worse. Back before HLJ reset all of their prices those would go for around $20 a box and they still couldn't get rid of them.

BTW, Toynami didn't have anything worth mentioning in the report? I haven't found a good gallery for them yet, but they usually have something. Yamato wasn't at the show?

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lunarose

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:09 pm Reply with quote
The Dark Magician Girl looks nice! I've never really liked Yu-Gi-Oh, but she's so cute that I'd want to purchase that one anyway if I had the money.

The Toshiro figure looks like it has the same hakama pants problem that was mentioned in the review of the Ichigo figure.
taster of pork

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:43 pm Reply with quote
I really want the Megaman X Figure and definitely a Zero figure, if they make one.
vapwaazu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:51 am Reply with quote
I think my friend might want that Jean Grey bishoujo statue for his birthday present. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Asurahime

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:06 pm Reply with quote
I want that Dark Magician Girl so bad!!!! It's so cuute!!!! Embarassed
BrightxRingxFirefly

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:55 am Reply with quote
Even though I'm pretty new to American comics, I'm loving the Marvel and DC Bishoujo lines. I recently bought Phoenix (debating whether or not to get Dark Phoenix) and have Black Cat and Invisible Woman pre-ordered. I'm definitely going to pick up Catwoman, too. Waiting for Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy, as I'm sure they'll be added eventually. I love all of the Mega Man stuff on display too; it's nice to see the old-school designs on such adorable figures Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2