• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Riddickulous

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
noblesse oblige

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:04 pm Reply with quote
It really is fascinating to hear about the roots of anime in America from someone who was at the epicenter of it all. This was a few years before I was born, but I'm envious of the people who got to experience this chapter of anime fandom. I think it's really cool how everyone was cooperating to spread their love of anime even when it was met with resistance from fans of other mediums. I think it's a good lesson for sticking to your beliefs despite what other people may say, because your actions might just pave the way for future generations to experience something that wouldn't have been possible otherwise. I wish I saw more of that camaraderie nowadays, especially on the net. Anyways, thanks for giving your time, and lending your unique perspective on anime history.
marcos torres toledo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:20 pm Reply with quote
This the first time I have listen to a ANNCast I am looking forward to others in the future I got see Orguss 2 at Blockbusters in video tape . Castle in the Sky on dvd and several other title from USRenditions I can't remember o yes Gun Busters great anime. Thank you USRenditions for bringing these anime to us. By the way ANN do I have to be a subscriber to stream video on your website now and since when is this policy.I use to stream video without being a subscriber before. Great interview anyway. Very Happy
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:53 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if the "Pony Toys" mentioned at the beginning was the same as the "Pony Toy Go Round". They had their own line of Japanese Barbie dolls. At one point my wife called and it took them a couple of minutes to find someone who spoke enough English to take her order.
DKRiddick

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:55 am Reply with quote
Yes. Pony Toys is the nickname for Pony Toy-Go-Round.
DKRiddick

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:00 am Reply with quote
There is a great article on the US RENDITIONS STORY in Genki Life magazine. It's a free to read web based magazine. Heres the link:http://issuu.com/studioartmix/docs/glm9-fall2012sm. Also, I'm on twitter @davidkriddick. Thanks again for the kind words !
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Got chance to finished hearing the podcast. It's a cool podcast and I thank David for taking this opportunity to talk with Zac about his time at US Renditions.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I'd be nice seeing L-Gaim or Dragonar licensed, but it could only be sub-only these days, and like through streams. The most popular and well regarded TV anime of the past can only manage to get sub-only DVDs, so the really buried stuff has no chance.

Hopefully Discotek can pick those 2 shows up. Beside if they can pick up Mazinger Z and Cutey Honey for US release, I'm sure they can pick L-Gaim and Dragonar (them or Sentai film, or Right Stuf) in the future.

uh speaking of Discotek picking up these anime. Hi, Dave I like to hear your thought on Discotek picking up both Mazinger Z and Cutey Honey for US release. Also what is your thought on Right Stuf picking up the rights to The Rose of Versailles anime for US release for the first time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:01 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Hopefully Discotek can pick those 2 shows up. Beside if they can pick up Mazinger Z and Cutey Honey for US release, I'm sure they can pick L-Gaim and Dragonar (them or Sentai film, or Right Stuf) in the future.

You missed my entire point. Mazinger Z, Cutie Honey, SPC Harlock, and Rose of Versailles are the most continuously popular and even "known" series of old. Layzner, L-Gaim, Galient, Dragonar, and the such are only going to be sought out by the mechafans specifically looking for them, which tells me they have a limited fanbase = limited profit margin. It depends on the specific series, but those were never released in the US before, at least not on digital formats, and not completely. They can pick up old movies and OVAs that were already translated and dubbed, all that's left is repackaging with better masters. I could see Rightstuf or Discotek re-grabbing the likes of Kimagure Orange Road and Urusei Yatsura before any of those.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:05 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I could see Rightstuf or Discotek re-grabbing the likes of Kimagure Orange Road and Urusei Yatsura before any of those.

Hehehe, all I have to do is pay $85 (plus shipping) for a new copy of KOR TV volume 10 and BOOM! re-release boxset for half the money.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:38 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

You missed my entire point. Mazinger Z, Cutie Honey, SPC Harlock, and Rose of Versailles are the most continuously popular and even "known" series of old. Layzner, L-Gaim, Galient, Dragonar, and the such are only going to be sought out by the mechafans specifically looking for them, which tells me they have a limited fanbase = limited profit margin. It depends on the specific series, but those were never released in the US before, at least not on digital formats, and not completely.

You may have a point but then again, people never thought Mazinger Z and Cutey Honey or Rose of Versailles would get picked up for US release until recently. Who knows who could pick up the license for Layzner, L-Gaim, and Dragonar. Again, expect the unexpected.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:08 am Reply with quote
Ah, Orguss. A Hollywood Video near us had the first six or so tapes of that in the mid-90's, so I watched what they had, and now I regret not getting Justin's ImaginAsian version and seeing the whole thing when I had the chance… clearly that title is never coming around again (same goes for Dunbine, another title that sounded great when I read about it in Trish Ledoux's Animag, but was an infamous flameout when ADV actually licenced it in the 2000's).

That said, what are the odds that David's scripts for the later episodes of Orguss still exist and could be found by a new licensee? Guess it would depend on just how US Rentitions' business was wound up and whether some other party has its surviving materials in storage?
TheHappyKnife

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Thank you to US renditions for bringing out all my formative anime experiences: Guyver, Dangaio, and Devilman. You guys rock! David, you had a direct hand in shaping the person I am today! Thanks again.

Edit: I am 28 today and it's interesting as I feel like a relatively young member of the American Anime old guard from the VHS era. Good times, good memories.
DKRiddick

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:20 pm Reply with quote
TheHappyKnife wrote:
Thank you to US renditions for bringing out all my formative anime experiences: Guyver, Dangaio, and Devilman. You guys rock! David, you had a direct hand in shaping the person I am today! Thanks again.

Edit: I am 28 today and it's interesting as I feel like a relatively young member of the American Anime old guard from the VHS era. Good times, good memories.

Thanks a lot ! Glad to know USR had such a great impact on so many people !
Arsenette

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the interview! What's interesting that listening to this felt like I was going back in time. When he was talking about how anime was "back in his day" it was the same for me. Only difference is that I was East coast (Philadelphia) so it was much harder to find stuff since everything was in the West coast. Watching 3rd and 4th generation VHS' were our lives back then. We had to get EVERYTHING from the west coast at a premium price.. yep.. the 1 episode with bad tracking on the tape. NO internet. It's amazing how we managed to find this stuff in the dark.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2