• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Reveals Last Exile: Fam, the Silver Wing's English Cast, Trailer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Oneeyedjacks wrote:

Really, you don't call this otaku pandering?

Not when it pertains to her character. Millia was eager to do what little she could to help aboard the Silvius. Remember that for the first few episodes she is a selfish and proud princess but soon she realizes that with Turan in shambles that she has a duty as one of the leaders to do what she can do to help the Silvius. And what she can do is a lot of necessary cleaning and cooking.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:11 pm Reply with quote
CrisGer A.A. wrote:

Funimation keeps creating dubs ..bottom line we are lucky to HAVE new dubs with all the piracy going on. lets say thank you.

Um...
Don't pull that card. Really. Please, for the love of god, don't pull that card.
Confused

They wouldn't keep making dubs if they weren't making a good enough profit for them.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:18 pm Reply with quote
truemore wrote:
Typical funimation. Always screwing the fans over so they can save a buck. It's not like they don't use the va's from the original in other dubs. And they had a year to get them to reprise the roles.

This is another reason why i would rather give my money to a company like aniplex. There stuff is more expensive but i know i will get the highest quality product that appeases the fans of a series.

I guess you COMPLETELY ignored the Fate/Zero cast announcement where they changed the voice actors for every single one of the recurring characters. Saber is literally on her third VA now. Rolling Eyes

I think people are over-reacting to the cast changes. Sure, they do kinda suck and in some cases don't make much sense (ie. replacing JYB with Micah), but for the most part, it simply wouldn't be worth the money to fly in so many actors from California so that they can say a handful of lines. Really, the only returning character who actually does have a lot of screen time is Dio, and it's already been stated that his original actor has left the business. Not to mention that several of the original actors have gone union now, which seriously complicates things as far as acting rights go.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:18 pm Reply with quote
I don't understand the sheer seething anger over VAs not reprising their roles from the first series.

It's a different damn company, what did you expect? Sure, sometimes they're able to farm it out and get the original cast to reprise, but that's the exception to most groups that continue shows that were started out dubbed by another company.

I mean, Gundam fans had to deal with three different Amuro Rays and now four different Bright Noas. Is it a bummer when they pick somebody who isn't Richard Ian Cox to be Kai Shiden in Gundam Unicorn? Sure. It was really annoying when Blue Water dubbed Zeta Gundam and Michael Kopsa wasn't Char. (Though the biggest problem was that the Zeta dub was just plain bad overall.) But holy crap, this is a little overboard.

Funimation is a company that bends over backwards for their costumer base, time and time again. They dub pretty much everything (and their dubs are usually decent), they hold live online panels, they stream, they license rescue, they're practically offering sexual favors to the people that will buy their products. Sure, they've got flaws, but you're going to get on them over recasting for characters from one series that aren't even the main characters of its sequel series?

Seriously, and people say I bitch too much about them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Oneeyedjacks wrote:
DangerMouse wrote:
TD912 wrote:
varmintx wrote:
Oneeyedjacks wrote:
I don't think I got past episode 6 on this. The writing was all over the place and it had a bunch of unnecessary otaku pandering in it.
Please tell me this is hyperbole. I really had my doubts about the series already and statements like this aren't exactly reassuring.

Ehh? While the series takes on a slightly lighter tone with moe-ish main characters, there's really isn't any fanservice in the whole series.

As TD912 said, it's complete hyperbole.

Really, you don't call this otaku pandering?

I wasn't necessarily referring specifically to fanservice. I was more referring to how the two main characters Fam and Giselle were basically moe archetypes rather than actual characters. Or the scene where all the characters are sitting around talking about how yummy all the delicious food looks. I mean the very first scene in the show has Fam jumping off the ship in her underwear. When I saw that, I knew immediately this was going be more otaku aimed, rather than for fans of the original.

The original didn't have any of this dumb crap because it didn't need it. It had a decent enough story to tell, where it didn't need to distract its audience with moe girls and maids.

"OH MY GAWD THERE'S A MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAID COSTUME OTAKU CRAP!!!1!1!"

You anti-moe people are hilarious with how you flip out at the slighest bit of cuteness in a show.
Oneeyedjacks

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

You anti-moe people are hilarious with how you flip out at the slighest bit of cuteness in a show.

I don't mind cuteness or moe. I loved Chunnibyou. What I do mind is when its hammered in as a substitute for actual characters or storytelling.

Its as simple as that. Now if you want to continue to act a fool and embarrass yourself be my guest, but some of us are actually trying to have an adult conversation here and don't need your childish antics.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:40 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
I assumed the thing Michelle Ruff said she was working on for Funimation was this, but since it isn't, perhaps it is the new Lupin series.

Yup!

She also said that Chris Sabat was directing the anime she was working on and since he's also not listed here at all, it has to be Fujiko Mine.

Awesome.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
This anime had far more potential than the original series, and they didn't exactly screw it all up, but its execution was quite off. The series suffered from pacing issues where character interactions would eat up enormous bits of time without any real development or progression, while major events would often be skipped over and only briefly mentioned with a few shots to tie the sequencing together. The other major issue is our lead character being quite static throughout the series. Maybe that's good in some narratives, but it doesn't make for an as interesting viewpoint, whereas one of the other major characters developments completely and faces more personal conflict.

Trainwreck? Not exactly, but there was more to be desired for. You had people quitting on episode 1 because they didn't like a character, which seems like the majority of complains levied against this sequel.

Pretty much agree, I think it's a really great show (with a few flaws some of which could have seemingly easily been avoided: such as the one you mention where the lead probably should have gotten more character growth attention just like the one who got a ton of growth, a rather odd choice and easily fixable given the events they all go through, even if she's still very likable it would have elevated the series yet another level), that should/could have been just as special as the original with a few tweaks, such as TD912 who mentioned a few more episodes, if they'd been able to do it, would have helped with the pacing.

Still, as CrisGer A.A. said as well, as is it's a pretty fantastic show with a good story and characters, and I think LE fans like myself should feel right at home back in the LE universe with the gorgeous visuals with stunning aerial scenes and stunning CG and IMO a jaw-dropping OST by the same composer as the original show.

Kurohei wrote:
AH, Micah doing another role that use to belong to Johney. That's awesome Cool

Yeah lol Very Happy

Everyone already addressed the maid thing very well. I'd say the only thing in the entire show close to a real otaku-baiting moment was the short-lived scene of Fam jumping off the ship sleep-walking in her underwear at the very beginning of ep 1, hardly a big deal and something like that never happened again anyway and it was followed up directly with pure Last Exile airship mission goodness.

Pretty much completely agree with SpacemanHardy on the recasting in this instance and for the reasons he stated, I'm quite happy with the cast and generally love Funimation's dubs and how generally fan-friendly they are (as penguintruth said, they make a lot of quality dubs and are one of the most fan-friendly out there), can't wait for the end of April for this to release.

Last edited by DangerMouse on Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
LG117

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Oneeyedjacks wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:

I don't mind cuteness or moe. I loved Chunnibyou. What I do mind is when its hammered in as a substitute for actual characters or storytelling.

Its as simple as that. Now if you want to continue to act a fool and embarrass yourself be my guest, but some of us are actually trying to have an adult conversation here and don't need your childish antics.

I also made it about 6 episodes in. I could not agree more with what Oneeyedjacks has been saying.

The series does very little to build any characters or world elements itself. Instead it relies on shortcuts and pandering.

The writing ambles aimlessly around. No character is consistent. No plot thread is clear, interesting or meaningful. Simply starting up an episode of this series felt like a chore.

The worst thing this series did was take the character out of Dio. I've seen house pets in animes with more personality than Dio has in Fam.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Dio is the exact same as he is in Last Exile, except he's not shouting IMMELMAN every 10 seconds.

Far more happens in the first 6 episodes of Fam the Silver Wing than what happens in the first 6 episodes of Last Exile.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:54 pm Reply with quote
I think the highest highs of Fam really had me moved far more than anything in the first series. Massive battles, gripping aerial combat, betrayals, and one killer soundtrack. The sequel deserved to have the full 24 episodes, using those extra episodes to expand the worldview even further, which was one of the strengths this had over the original's narrow perspective. Last Exile was always one of the better GONZO anime, and you really felt their constraint throughout Fam. I don't think the "fanservice" elements were enough to detract from the series, or enough to really pander enough to otaku to entice them to buy, while ignoring actual faults in writing that did. Hell, I think Alex Rowe being a Sky Pirate Captain Harlock was fanservice in its own right, with his own Rafflesia to seek revenge upon.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:44 am Reply with quote
Yeah I couldn't make it past 6 episodes of this show. It wasn't the worst thing ever, but the moe trappings killed what was already an un-wanted thing. The 1st one wasn't that great, but hey it was probably the best thing in Gonzo's terrible list of stuff. It had a weak main character, but some style and cool world crafting. But really it did'nt need a sequel, especially one like this. But hey modern anime.

I would have been interested in watching it on home video, but yeah this is a Funi dub. Not a big fan of Funi's dubs. Would have been nice to at least have the same quality and returning cast of the original show. But whatever, at least it's getting released.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:12 am Reply with quote
I couldn't believe Funimation was dubbing this dog as I thought Fam had thoroughly alienated fans such as myself and that no one wanted to see it again. Apparently there are fans here, but seriously, did you guys see the original? I couldn't agree with LG117 and Oneeyedjacks more. Nothing in Fam made sense either, Millia being sought out by the confederated nations to be thier leader makes as much sense as Obama and PM's Abe and Chen asking some random schoolgirl from Hong Kong (decended from Chinese royalty of course) to lead them in the fight to keep the Diaoyu Islands from being claimed by China. In the original series, fans cared about Klaus and Lavie being caught up in an epic struggle because the writers took the time to let us know who they were, people like us. Fam's story is like watching four year olds play with Barbies ("I Luscinia Hafez take Turan away from you, (Millia cries) Who will help me?, (Fam) Don't worry, Giselle and I will help you!").
Gatherum

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:54 am Reply with quote
Anybody know the song they used in this trailer? It's very post-rockish, and that just makes me feel all tingly in my nether regions. Laughing
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:27 pm Reply with quote
TG72 wrote:
My main complaints: 1.spoiler[It teased and then skimped on the return of Claus and Lavie. They don't play a meaningful part in the story or even speak to any of the new characters Confused Mad ]

spoiler[Yeah, that was such a tease, the timing was so perfect I really thought Claus and Lavie were about to join in the fight within an episode from their appearance (heck they had just caught up new viewers on their history, it was perfect), it would have been so cool and there was plenty of time to do it.

I would love a third series that fully combined both casts the rest of the way now and perhaps dealt with the secrets of Earth and the real Guild that was only behind the scenes in the new show.]
TG72

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:56 pm Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:
spoiler[Yeah, that was such a tease, the timing was so perfect I really thought Claus and Lavie were about to join in the fight within an episode from their appearance (heck they had just caught up new viewers on their history, it was perfect), it would have been so cool and there was plenty of time to do it.

I would love a third series that fully combined both casts the rest of the way now and perhaps dealt with the secrets of Earth and the real Guild that was only behind the scenes in the new show.]

It didn't have to be at ROD the TV levels, either. I'm not a fan of My-Otome, but at least they had an episode that showed the leads from both series interacting for a while.

As far as the maid costume bit, that ended up being more of a moe parody since spoiler[she was trying to win people over but they just laughed at her instead.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4