• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
International licensing news on the front page

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you want to see UK and Australia (and other English Language) on the front page?
Yes
34%
 34%  [ 24 ]
Yes - but only for otherwise unlicensed titles
41%
 41%  [ 29 ]
Not particularly, but it wouldn't bother me
17%
 17%  [ 12 ]
No, this would bother me (a distraction from other content on the front page or something like that)
7%
 7%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 70

The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:02 am Reply with quote
A topic came up recently in the Retail section about how licensing news from the UK and AU should be on the front page of the US ANN, specifically shows with no known US distributor. I tend to agree since I know I like knowing that information, fans of those shows like to know, but I also that not very many people go to the Retail section, and so that international licensing news can easily slip by them. Putting that info on the front page would prevent a lot of that slipping.

I mean, US licensing news shows up on both the AU and UK front pages; why not there's on ours? If there's an English speaking country with plans to release Chihayafuru or Tatami Galaxy or Dennou Coil or whatever show that isn't licensed in the US, people would want to know and should know that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Interesting idea. How many other people would like this ?

I've made this a poll, so you can vote, but actual feedback (ie: a post) goes much farther towards convincing me this is worth it (or not).

-t
Brainchild129

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:57 pm Reply with quote
I think it's a good idea, especially for those shows without R1 releases. After all, what harm could a few more brief stories do?
Crisha

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:24 pm Reply with quote
I voted "yes," but I would at least want it for unlicensed titles in the U.S.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lem

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:19 pm Reply with quote
News of releases outside of Japan are always welcome. Healthy competition between the regions and having another potential viewing option is what I'd call a win win for all fans. So knowing where and when they're available is exactly the kind of thing that I'd like to be able to read about at Anime News Network. Thanks in advance.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Voted 'yes but only for those unlicensed in NA' mostly because I think those titles are the most important to the NA fandom. And the UK/AU-specific sites are still there for the other license announcements. But I definitely think for instance that having an announcement for Chihayafuru, Mononoke, Hakaba Kitarou's licenses by Siren Visual should have been a news post on the main ANN site. There is no other legal way to obtain English physical releases for them after all.
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:51 pm Reply with quote
I voted "yes" because it would be very helpful to UK and AU readers, and it would help make it easier to see if somebody like Crunchyroll would have room to expand to cover UK and Australia licenses for their catalogue titles.

Certainly knowing that a series got licensed in the UK or Australia before North America would be helpful in case you wanted to import.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:57 pm Reply with quote
I agree with others, I would definitely like license announcements for series unlicensed in the US with English releases such as the UK and Australia.

Especially Siren Visual has licensed quite a few series that I now want to import.

Also I think it is interesting to see series that other English speaking countries got that we have not.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:13 pm Reply with quote
If it's in the case of titles that have yet to see an American release, I'd be up for it. I don't import stuff, but I'm sure there are folks that would like to know if a physical media release is available in English (dubbed or subtitled), even if they have to import it.
gsilver

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:13 am Reply with quote
I think it would be very useful to have them listed on the main ANN site. It was through the forums that I found out that some of my favorite shows got a release. Being able to find out this information on the front page would be greatly preferable to sifting through forum posts.
Ringking

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:49 am Reply with quote
I'm Australian, so I already get both the AU and the US licensing news, but I would also very much like to receive licensing news from the UK. Likewise, Ill be moving to the UK in the near future, and I would like to be able to keep up with the anime news from the home country while I'm away.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:16 pm Reply with quote
A lot of people seem to be commenting on anime, but I think manga is the more important one to have across all 3 versions of the site. With anime, you have to worry about region, but not with manga, you just have to worry about finding somewhere to import it. For unlicensed-in-your-region titles, especially, knowing that English language versions do/will exist, with no barriers other than exportation fees, would be major news for a lot of people.
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Being UK based, I already get the UK licensing news, but I'd like to see news from Australia especially since they got Chihayafuru. I voted yes but only for unlicensed stuff.
Tris8

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Definitely. As others have said, I want to stay updated on titles licensed in other English speaking countries.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:42 pm Reply with quote
I would like to see news about UK and Australia licensing anime. Helps me and other people see what other country picked up anime and to see the chances and progress that anime could get picked up in US. I'm all for this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3