• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Video Group Confirms Digimon Tamers on Dubbed DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:58 pm Reply with quote
If the DVDs does not have subtitles and still does not have any closed captions, it's a complete waste of money for the deaf people.

It's good for the hearing people to get those DVDs, but it's still bad news for us deaf people. They're leaving out thousands of deaf people, if not, millions of deaf people who are not able to read the subtitles since they aren't included.

On that note: I was still "pissed" toward Shout! Factory (Beast Wars Transformers DVDs and Sonic: SatAm). :/
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:50 am Reply with quote
Dark Absol wrote:
If the DVDs does not have subtitles and still does not have any closed captions, it's a complete waste of money for the deaf people.

It's good for the hearing people to get those DVDs, but it's still bad news for us deaf people. They're leaving out thousands of deaf people, if not, millions of deaf people who are not able to read the subtitles since they aren't included.

On that note: I was still "pissed" toward Shout! Factory (Beast Wars Transformers DVDs and Sonic: SatAm). :/

Hey, I hear you, I do. I'm hard of hearing, but complaining here isn't going to do anything. I have sent numerous emails to New Video about my concern and you should too (in a respectful manner) about adding subtitles/caption to the DVDs. The captions are available on itunes, there's no reason why they shouldn't be included on the physical product.
Hitokiri Kenshin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:47 am Reply with quote
Dark Absol wrote:
Dubbed only? Blah, I'll just spend my $$ somewhere else.

You are aware Digimon is aimed more at children right? Series aimed more at children rather than a wide audience or teens/adults tend to be dubbed only. Besides, they'd have to work with the missing building destructions.
DomonX2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:28 am Reply with quote
Hitokiri Kenshin wrote:
Dark Absol wrote:
Dubbed only? Blah, I'll just spend my $$ somewhere else.

You are aware Digimon is aimed more at children right? Series aimed more at children rather than a wide audience or teens/adults tend to be dubbed only. Besides, they'd have to work with the missing building destructions.

Gundam Wing, Gundam 00, Gundam SEED/SEED Destiny, Char's Counterattack, Bleach, Death Note, One Piece and many more are all kid's shows/movies, but Bandai/Viz/Funimation had no qualms about putting the Japanese track on there.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:41 am Reply with quote
^
Not comparable. One Piece is for a general audience. Bleach, Death Note, SEED, SEED Destiny and Wing are aimed primarily at teens. And both 00 and Char's Counterattack are aimed primarily at adults. None of the titles you listed were aimed for children like Digimon was. Sure, Tamers was smartly written and accessible to teens and adults, but it was still undoubtedly a kids' show.
DomonX2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:03 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
^
Not comparable. One Piece is for a general audience. Bleach, Death Note, SEED, SEED Destiny and Wing are aimed primarily at teens. And both 00 and Char's Counterattack are aimed primarily at adults. None of the titles you listed were aimed for children like Digimon was. Sure, Tamers was smartly written and accessible to teens and adults, but it was still undoubtedly a kids' show.

Not quite, genius. Bleach is a shonen series, which is aimed at people from 10+, not to mention games based of the show/manga are rated CERO A. Same shit applies to Death Note and One Piece. The Gundam franchise is a children's franchise. That is a fact. To imply only AGE was intended for kids is rather stupid, since the target audience for AGE was the target audience for Mobile Suit Gundam in 1979. Do you know why all the mechs are brightly colored? Tomino was originally going to have all the mechs are grays, but Bandai said no. They wanted them colored to appeal to children. Also, look at the initial model kits of Gundam SEED and Gundam 00. They were very cheap and easy to build. Wanna know why those toys were targeted to? They were targeted towards kids. Just because a show is "mature" in terms of themes and content, doesn't mean it can't be for kids. Gundam just managed to get and older audience buying the toys and watching the shows. There is no difference between the age demographic of Gundam, Death Note, Bleach, One Piece and Digimon. They're all aimed at pre teenage children, at elementary school. You seriously need to learn what makes a Japanese kid's show/movie.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:44 am Reply with quote
^
Gee man, it's like you're trying to corner the market on being hilariously wrong.

Bleach is Shounen but it is clearly not aimed at young children. It's aimed at teens. Death Note has brutal deaths and mind games far too advanced for children. One Piece is aimed at everyone, and many readers are in their twenties or even thirties.

As for Gundam, most of the series are not for children. You honestly think Zeta and Victory are targeting the same demographics as ZZ and SD Gundam? Of course not. 0079 and AGE were both aimed at children, but you didn't mention either series. You mentioned Char's Counterattack (violent, definitely for adults), Wing (almost exclusively teenage cast), SEED (teens, had off-screen sex in it for Christ's sake), SEED Destiny (more teens, more off-screen sex, Athrun's Harem), and 00 (tried to address deeper causes of war, had political commentary that would have gone over the heads of most teens let alone children).

For someone who is a fan of Gundam you sure know very little about it.
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Hitokiri Kenshin wrote:
Series aimed more at children rather than a wide audience or teens/adults tend to be dubbed only.

You seriously have no idea what you're talking about, aren't ya?
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:33 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

In America maybe, but in Japan they were all aimed at the same demographic. Trying to distinguish between Digimon and One Piece when they air at pretty much the same Sunday morning timeslot for kids in Japan is just silly. Pocket Monsters airs right before Naruto does in Japan on the same channel, as well. And right before Pocket Monsters is Gintama. It's all for kids/general audiences in Japan, and any indication one is more for "teens" than the other is just fandom nonsense born out of insecurity of watching a "kids show". Just take a trip to YouTube and watch Naruto and Luffy sell Happy Meals, or Kira Yamato interact with kids and make them buy his model kits.

It's just Digimon has more merchandise attached to it's name so American companies put more value in that than the anime. So they generally don't care how the anime is treated or released. They do this with mecha anime as well; remember Zoids? Dub-only release and they were only interested in selling the model kits/toys.. but I don't think that did all that well since mecha isn't a big genre here on TV and they haven't really tried any since SEED was a bust on Toonami and the mecha fad of the Wing-days has long gone from Americans. So it just gets regulated to obscure limited DVD release these days.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:18 pm Reply with quote
No, Westerners do not typically claim that kids' shows are actually for teens just so that they can justify watching them. It doesn't work like that. We're not as insecure as you want us to be.

It's quite clear that the different shows I mentioned are aimed at audiences of different ages.

Also, I know you are rabidly into Japanese culture and idolise it, but you should learn that Japan does not have just four demographics. You can't lump in all shows aimed at boys ages 0-19 into a single demographic.

Finally, bear in mind that you are placing far too much emphasis in the timeslots and not enough on the actual shows themselves. Space Brothers is on at the same time and day as Battle Spirits: Sword Eyes. Don't even bother trying to claim that the two have exactly overlapping demographics, because it just won't fly.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2