• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best adult-oriented (non-hentai) anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wrathful

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Texhnolyze, Paranoia Agent, Welcome to the NHK and Perfect Blue are mature in contents and the story that are about social problems. They were hard to grasp in first viewing, second viewing was necessary to me.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:16 pm Reply with quote
No mention of Monster? The anime is a free dive into the limits of human morality with Johan Liebert your guide into driving people to their breaking points, quite often with bloody and mentally traumatic circumstances.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Best Adult-Oriented (Non-Hentai) Anime

Mission accomplished!

Kara no Kyoukai. Dark, too dark and confusing for anyone too young. It deals with psychosis for the most part.

Second: Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Immature people would most likely think this is some hypothetic bologus. Fortunately, it's one of the best animated pieces ever created, that relies on the viewers' sense of what's right or wrong, which ultimately calls upon the viewers' experience in life.

Second Monster - Again, a bit too dark and "slow" for youngins. A lot of hidden elements, and those who can't percept it, most likely won't enjoy it.

Mushi-Shi. Again, there are some dark moments that younger people would just think as cool or bad-assery. For example, when facing the Mushi that grows to look like a human child, Ginko said something very realistic and cruel to the other side... not exactly with these words, but with the same meaning:
"We're both fighting to survive, but since our side is stronger you'll have to die for our survival."
And that coming from someone who values both Mushi and humans had a great impact.

But HEY! HEY YOU! I'm just a 380000000 seconds old boy who just saw the photo of a pair of naked melons for the first time, therefore I was too excited to think about something as trivial as everything else. Regardless, I kept staring at the melons for the whole time. Intriguing, right?

- baire meloun ~
John Casey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
No mention of Monster? The anime is a free dive into the limits of human morality with Johan Liebert your guide into driving people to their breaking points, quite often with bloody and mentally traumatic circumstances.

I was going to, but then I remembered how badly Viz ****** that release up.

There's no point in recommending that one just yet.

[EDIT: Don't know how that slipped through our filters, but watch your language. - Key]
chachaboru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:40 am Reply with quote
Claymore and Hellsing...
i know only a few animes that are adult-oriented...
Dolza

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Flag. A great story about war told in a unique way.

Patlabor. A wonderful series of films featuring beautiful direction and gerat music.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Now and Then, Here and There. OK, it might have a kiddy-looking animation, but I am not sure whether younger audience is the target one in this case.

Some other titles that come to my mind:

Paprika, and, as a matter of fact, all works by Satoshi Kon. Tokyo Godfathers might be the lightest one out there, but Paranoia Agent and Perfect Blue are also something for more mature audience.

Also, Ninja Scroll. There is (some) gore- including the famous scene when Thessai drinks blood from arms torn apart from a ninja, there is also nudity and excplicit references to rape.

Requiem for the Darkness addresses some themes that makes the series targeted at an older audience, including incest and cannibalism.

Elfen Lied.... Ugh...

Also, are we talking theme-wise, or the way stories are told.
Ayakashi and Mononoke might not be full of gore and nudity, but the way they progress is quite difficult to follow for younger audience. I think you need a certain level of maturity to understand them.
Innotech

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Haibane Renmei, Lain, Saikano, Kinos Journey, Mushishi, Planetes, Now and then Here or there, Grave of the Fireflies, Princess Mononoke, Millenium Actress, Paprika, Death Note, Monster, Welcome to the NHK, Paranoia Agent, Tokyo Godfathers, The Girl who Leapt THrough Time, Baccano, Kaze no Yojimbo
Eldritcho

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:45 am Reply with quote
[
Quote:
quote="DuskyPredator"]Just a little aside for myself but Panty and Stocking came to mind as something that has all that in spades it is probably one of the most adult themed series I have seen, but the character look simular to the original Power Puff Girls.

While sex and violence are most certainly adult themes, I would not count Panty and Stocking as a good example. The show's execution of the material was at a fairly juvenile level, and seemed more like it was being pitched to a 12-16 age range who would laugh at the simple mention of the word f**k or s**t.

If we are simply looking for a more adult oriented show, might I suggest Gankutsuou: it deals with very adult themes in a very adult manner (execution-wise). The plot is engageing, dark and handled in a sophisticated manner: a child simply wouldnt understand it.

Then again, if your the blood and guts type, you cant go wrong with Hellsing Ultimate (a personal favorite of mine).
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:19 am Reply with quote
First, gotta second Legend of the Galactic Heroes, I honestly could see a kid getting into it since people aren't fighting as often as they're talking. Also, everyone drinks wine in this show, I kinda saw that as like an ongoing injoke, hehe. But I just don't think that kids would be able to appreciate this show because it is a pretty dense show and I think having more life experience would improve the viewing of it. Now, I'm tempted to list other space operas, like Crest of the Stars and Robotech, but a lot of people who were fans in the 90s got their start from having watched Robotech as a kid. It's weird because I know that today, Robotech just probably wouldn't air as if aimed directly as kids and I'd really call that one an all age show, but considering how it's not very visually flashy, I'm not sure if an ADD kid of today could really get into it now. I'd still call it appropriate but I think it also has stuff for older audiences too.

Emma: A Victorian Romance and Kino's Journey are the sorts of ones I'd recommend for a mature audience not because there's anything horrifically objectionable in the show that is likely to be inappropriate for kids, but because I think they're the types of slower shows that younger audiences probably wouldn't appreciate or sit through. Emma especially came off as a "slow" show to me, one that I enjoyed very much though. And there were issues of marrying outside of your class in that show, not sure if kids would get that. I think they're both very similar in that they're shows that are more mature then they first let on, a kid could watch them, but I'm not sure if they'd "get it".

Now, Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi on the other hand is not a show that anyone 15 and under should watch. I think it's a hilarious show, I just love it! But that said, almost none of the comedy is appropriate for children. They could watch maybe the first episode before any good parent should go "no more until you're older!"
SgtMustang

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:35 am Reply with quote
Ghost in the Shell, Berserk, Cross Game, Akira, Ninja Scroll(the movie, wasn't a fan of the series), Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust, Paranoia Agent, Perfect Blue, Paprika, the Patlabor movies, Armitage III, Cowboy Bebop
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:52 am Reply with quote
Link...wasn't too long ago lol

Agree with less than half of what's there. Then again, most views are subjective and not objective (Same with me). Anyway, nah, crappy list, but it's what your community has to offer. Again, when I look at things, since we live in America, I go by American standards. You all should ask yourself before you post, "Is this anime popular among children or adults? If it is popular among children why?" Kinda like this whole crusade that says anime isn't for kids. It's not a crime to like kids stuff.

The few exceptions of mature anime that isn't shallow or stupid:

Monster(obviously, the one everyone knows)
Rainbow(New one that many people can't bear to watch)
Perfect Blue(hmm yeah classic very influential piece. Shame on you if you haven't watched it)
Paranoia Agent(Although America deemed this show to be borderline)
Berserk(Another obvious one. No it isn't just dungeons and dragons)
The above mentioned anime strictly designed for/ primary target are the adults. Here, what you see is an opposite effect. As we all know, a small number of kids like these heavily adult themed shows. A kiddy cult following if you will.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:05 pm Reply with quote
I'd start by reviewing the various Noitamina offerings. Starting with House of Five Leaves/Tatami Galaxy these shows have been available in the US via subtitiled streams. Most are at Funimation, though Hourou Musuko is on Crunchyroll.

An English dub of the first season of the excellent Nodame Cantabile is legally streamed on Sony's Crackle site.

Here are a few other shows not yet mentioned but not in the Noitamina block:

Licensed in R1:

Bakeneko
Ghost Hound
Moribito
Oh! Edo Rocket
Planetes
Saiunkoku Monogatari
Twelve Kingdioms

These shows are unlicensed in R1 so I can't link to them:

Aoi Bungaku
Bartender
Kure-nai
Mononoke
Mouryou no Hako
REC
Shion no Ou

These shows are intended for more general audiences but will appeal to mature viewers as well:

Cross Game
Dennou Coil
Natsume Yuujinchou
Kemono no Sou-ja Erin
Nijuu Mensou no Musume
Tweeny Witches
torreyjs

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Black Lagoon obviously
Thorn of Camorr

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:44 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Quote:
Best Adult-Oriented (Non-Hentai) Anime

Mushi-Shi. Again, there are some dark moments that younger people would just think as cool or bad-assery. For example, when facing the Mushi that grows to look like a human child, Ginko said something very realistic and cruel to the other side... not exactly with these words, but with the same meaning:
"We're both fighting to survive, but since our side is stronger you'll have to die for our survival."
And that coming from someone who values both Mushi and humans had a great impact.
~

Agreed with this a thousand times over. I'd also like to throw my hat in the proverbial ring by adding Baccano! (The "!" is part of the title) This series is rather violent as you will find within the first episode and there is quite a bit of swearing, but the violence while it can be over the top at times is very well done. The fight scenes are really interesting to watch and while the story goes all over the place at times (it takes place between 1932-1936 I believe, Prohibition Era) and deals with two warring mafia families and a group of people trapped aboard a 'haunted' train with a psychotic murderer thing. It takes some getting used to the pace of the show as it jumps between years in the episodes but with the first 3 or 4 you should be able to keep up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3