• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Publishers and fansubbers history?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam-I-Am

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:17 am Reply with quote
I'm looking for a little history here -

In a news article about a large recent library donation, the reporter mentioned that the donor was an active fansubber, bringing free manga/anime translations to the masses, and writing about it as if it were a noble pursuit. I fired off an email pointing out that it's actually copyright violation, etc., and got the following as part of the response from the reporter:

Quote:
Major publishers like Viz only occasionally send cease and desist letters to fansubbers. In some cases, like [This URL is a known Fansub Distribution website], Viz actually provided the Naruto fansubbers with free passes to their conventions every year - because they recognized the role of fansubbing in generating an audience for their content.

My questions are a) did this actually happen, b) if so, how long ago was it (I'm guessing a few years, Naruto doesn't seem to need much marketing help now), and c) were/are there many other examples of the same sort of publisher/fansubber relationship?

***Note - This thread is a request for historical information, NOT a discussion on the moral pros and cons of fansubbing. Side discussions of the effect of fansubs/scanlations on sales should be accompanied by studies and panel notes, not anecdotes.
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:27 am Reply with quote
As the donor, I give you my salutations. Smile

There's an excellent panel on YT here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb6cRY6L1Gk

As for the discourse between Viz and those scanlators, I couldn't say more than "email Viz." Anime smile
Sam-I-Am

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:29 am Reply with quote
Greetings in return - I'm assuming you're WJ, PB, or CG (a couple extra choices to keep it random).

I followed your link, and interestingly enough, the youtube page also included a link to one of Greg Ayre's panels. Quite a contrast between the two.... I'm wondering if you didn't mean to include a different link.

You and I can continue our discussion on regular email, but I am still interested in hearing of stories of publishers and fansubbers/scanlators working together in the past.

I do recall hearing of a fansub group who was asked by a licensee if their translation could be used for the legal dvds, but the name of the series either slips my mind, or wasn't mentioned at the time.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:58 am Reply with quote
I watched this video a while back; it provided a history of fansub and what they do. The information in it is quite similar to the video HyugaHinata posted.

About one of your questions, c) to be exact, there is an example of publisher/fansubber relationship, but not really. CrunchyRoll used to be an illegal anime streaming site, and the owner of the site was sent a gift by Gonzo for removing illegal content off the site. This isn't really a publisher/fansubber relationship but it's somewhat close. I'll have to look for the link.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1