• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Battle Girls Gone Wild

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:19 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:

Battle Girls Time Paradox... if only we'd known that it was a harbinger. Oh well, at least it lacks, so far as I know, boob bouncing through a metal breastplate.

eh, kinda hard to remember, but I think Nobunaga does occasionally bounce a bit in her metal bikini chestplate.

Oh, I don't doubt and will take your statement on faith, but in Oda Nobuna no Yabō, one of the later series of the 'Nobugozongas' epic, a character wearing a solid, full metal breastplate bounced... I know that I saw a .gif of it recently. It's... surreal.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:47 pm Reply with quote
dm wrote:
But I think Bamboo is right to be disappointed in the slap-dash mysto-babble used to wrap up the ending. The show did a good job while it was manipulating carbon markets and otaku expectations, but then stumbled when the denouement was wrapped in carbon-fiber nanofilament ley-lines.

Agreed. I'm sure the mystic part was part of the source material of the novels, but IMO they really should have realized it would do more harm than good to keep it in the adaptation especially as a focus for explaining anything towards the end, especially given how relatively underplayed that aspect was for like 90% of the show, it almost came out of nowhere with the "science twisted to magic" wandering-dreamer mentioned, this was not really a case to go that route even if the source did given how little time was "technically" spent making the mystic side make sense or at least make it relatable. So many shows have iffy endings though that I'm kind of used to it though so it certainly didn't ruin the show for me or anything though since I rather enjoyed the "journey".

I quite liked the show up until the last few eps when the mystical junk took over the cool scifi and revolution against Atlas parts of the story.

Totally agree on the reviews take on the characters, I really liked Kuniko and her Metal Age crew.
ajr

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:03 am Reply with quote
So...no Junko-chan then? Rats. Maybe next time.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:05 am Reply with quote
dboypr wrote:
CrownKlown wrote:
Question. Are those the premium sets of the NIS releases? The look kind of like books are something. The shape is really odd, and as you can see in the shelf they are kind of hard to put in shelves due to the size.

Yeah CK, those are the IS premium sets, and like you said their a pain to fit in a normal shelf but I love them just as they are. Anyway I'm glad we have similar taste in shows and i hope to see some of your collection someday.

hehe maybe, I ran out of space and had to start double stacking since my shelves are deep, so it would be a hassle to show everything. But like you I pretty much have every NIS CE since the first mana khemia, and got some stuff signed by Sohei Nikawa when he was at anime expo. I do want to get Our Deity, Occult Academy, Working, Persona, and PH at some point.
thenix

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:22 am Reply with quote
None of these shows really interest me before or after the reviews. As for the shelves, it's so packed with everything, but mostly new stuff. I dunno if I see any old stuff in there
zensunni

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:10 am Reply with quote
The real crime of Battle Girls is that a show with so little going for it somehow got a BluRay/Dub release from Sentai, while a show with actual good writing and beautiful background art that was just released got only a subtitled DVD release. I am referring to one of my favorites: Waiting in the Summer (Ano Natsu de Matteru). It is a shame that Sentai chose to spend their dub and BluRay money on a show like Battle Girls while giving WitS a bare-bones release.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:23 am Reply with quote
Either they do it (Dubbed BluRay) based on stream numbers or they do it arbitrarily. Sometimes it appears that it shouldn't add up, but Sentai doesn't give out their reasons for what they do.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:23 am Reply with quote
The only show that's been reviewed this week that I'm mildly interested in is Shangri-La. But since the reviews for it haven't been that good, I think that I'm going to wait until the price drops before buying it.
smashwagon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:50 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed Shangri-la for what it was, which was sort of reminiscent of Kevin Costner mess-terpieces "Waterworld" and "The Postman".

Dystopian future societies are definitely my favorite type of sci-fi though, and complaints about the characters breaking the laws of science really don't bug me at all because, well, it is an anime... it is a lot more fun to see / animate things as they go haywire and ridiculous. While some of the nuances of the setup were betrayed, it still had more ideas than many series, and I rather liked the fact that the characters were shown to grow and change.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:02 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Either they do it (Dubbed BluRay) based on stream numbers or they do it arbitrarily. Sometimes it appears that it shouldn't add up, but Sentai doesn't give out their reasons for what they do.

Boob shows are proven sellers, so I'm not surprised. A show like AnoNatsu is a bit more of a risk.
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:11 am Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:
The real crime of Battle Girls is that a show with so little going for it somehow got a BluRay/Dub release from Sentai, while a show with actual good writing and beautiful background art that was just released got only a subtitled DVD release. I am referring to one of my favorites: Waiting in the Summer (Ano Natsu de Matteru). It is a shame that Sentai chose to spend their dub and BluRay money on a show like Battle Girls while giving WitS a bare-bones release.

Thank you for saying what I was thinking!

And with a pedigree like Waiting for the Summer has, I would have expected more too! I dearly want to buy it and shelve it next to my Please Teacher and Twins box sets, but I am hesitant.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:26 am Reply with quote
Bamboo wrote:
I know that I can't expect a series like Battle Girls – Time Paradox to be a beacon of intelligence and thoughtful storytelling, but one always hopes to find a few gems hidden under the layers of predictable shlock. Sadly, there is none of that in this series. It is 99.9% fluff and nonsense.
Homeopathic intelligence. Laughing
Quote:

It brings me to this. Battle Girls – Time Paradox is what it is. It's a booby fantasy show. The characters are shallow, the action is passable, the conversations are trite, and the story is silly. If you want a fanservice show, then you've got one.
You didn't mention whether the boobs giggled. That would have been the clencher. Wink
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:30 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Boob shows are proven sellers, so I'm not surprised. A show like AnoNatsu is a bit more of a risk.

You can't just say that and then leave it. Why is it more of a risk? What makes it a bigger risk than something like, say, Heaven's Memo Pad? What makes the ef series or Kamisama Dolls less riskier than the show directed by the man behind Toradora, written by the original creator of Please Teacher/Twins, and handled by the studio responsible for Shana?

And if boob shows are these big time hot shot sellers, where's Kampfer's dub? Or Mayo Chiki's, or To Love Ru, or Seikon no Qwaser's, or any of the other various "boob shows" they haven't dubbed?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GVman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:44 am Reply with quote
Battle Girls: Time Paradox was probably cheap to license since it's based off of a pachinko machine; pachinko (let alone the Battle Girls series) is hardly popular over here. Sentai probably dubbed because they could afford to with such a cheap license.

Other than that, I dunno. Maybe there's a subset of fanservice show fans who only watch dubbed stuff?
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:24 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
Question. Are those the premium sets of the NIS releases? The look kind of like books are something. The shape is really odd, and as you can see in the shelf they are kind of hard to put in shelves due to the size.

And that is why I am not very fond of NISA premium releases. Sure, the look nice, but it is a pain to fit them. I would love it if NISA started putting out more regular editions. I simply want the discs.

Moonsaber wrote:
zensunni wrote:

Thank you for saying what I was thinking!

And with a pedigree like Waiting for the Summer has, I would have expected more too! I dearly want to buy it and shelve it next to my Please Teacher and Twins box sets, but I am hesitant.

I am also disappointed by Waiting in the Summer no getting a BD release. But like others have said, boobs sell more than nichy titles with substance. I am still buying the DVD release though. I rather have it on HD, but to me good stories and characters are going to always be more important to me than visual fidelity.

The King of Harts wrote:
What makes it a bigger risk than something like, say, Heaven's Memo Pad? What makes the ef series or Kamisama Dolls less riskier than the show directed by the man behind Toradora, written by the original creator of Please Teacher/Twins, and handled by the studio responsible for Shana?

And if boob shows are these big time hot shot sellers, where's Kampfer's dub? Or Mayo Chiki's, or To Love Ru, or Seikon no Qwaser's, or any of the other various "boob shows" they haven't dubbed?

You bring up a great point. I suspect that a show like Waiting in the Summer (with good pedigree behind it) and the boob shows you cite probably did not a BD release because they are popular in Japan, and Japanese executives, fearing reverse importation, denied BD rights to Sentai.

As far a dubs, I have heard that Sentai is more likely to do dubs when they can sell it to anime distributors in other English-speaking regions.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4