Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cromartie Namesake Not Happy


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Necros Antiquor



Joined: 10 Nov 2004
Posts: 571
Location: Funny in a car crash sort of way
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:47 am Reply with quote
From the Toon Zone article:

Quote:
In a question-and-answer session after the screening, Yamaguchi also cast some light on the production process. Yamaguchi said when the manga author, Nonaka Eiji, heard his manga would be made into a film, the artist said, "I don't care about the movie. Do whatever you want."

Yamaguchi took Nonaka at his word, and the director deliberately did not read the manga before directing the film. Yamaguchi said he hasn't seen the animated adaptation either.

Um...why? So is this going to be at all like the Cromartie that we all know and love? I'm hoping it at least keeps the same spirit of the anime, if not the same set-up.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor


Joined: 22 Feb 2004
Posts: 741
Location: San Francisco, California
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Necros Antiquor wrote:
From the Toon Zone article:

Quote:
In a question-and-answer session after the screening, Yamaguchi also cast some light on the production process. Yamaguchi said when the manga author, Nonaka Eiji, heard his manga would be made into a film, the artist said, "I don't care about the movie. Do whatever you want."

Yamaguchi took Nonaka at his word, and the director deliberately did not read the manga before directing the film. Yamaguchi said he hasn't seen the animated adaptation either.

Um...why? So is this going to be at all like the Cromartie that we all know and love? I'm hoping it at least keeps the same spirit of the anime, if not the same set-up.


o_O That's.. kinda.. weird. But at least it's just the director, and hopefully the other staff on the movie was familiar with the source work? x_X But with the director, you'd want him to keep the same feel... Lame.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kusanagi-sama



Joined: 22 Aug 2004
Posts: 1717
Location: Wichita Falls, TX
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:32 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if he is going to take up lawsuit against ADV as well for selling the Cromartie anime and manga here?

I dislike celebrities that act like pissy little babies.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tempest
ANN Publisher & CEO


Joined: 29 Dec 2001
Posts: 9789
Location: Do not message me for support.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Necros Antiquor wrote:
So is this going to be at all like the Cromartie that we all know and love? I'm hoping it at least keeps the same spirit of the anime, if not the same set-up.


It's pretty safe to assume that the script-writers read teh manga.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail My Anime My Manga
GATSU



Joined: 03 Jan 2002
Posts: 14522
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:57 pm Reply with quote
kusanagi: More like ADV will probably re-release the anime and manga and also insert the disclaimers.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Joe Mello



Joined: 31 May 2004
Posts: 2077
Location: Unlocked
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:21 pm Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:
I dislike celebrities that act like pissy little babies.


I wouldn't consider him a celeb, but he is an athlete.

Paging Drew Rosenhaus! Paging Drew Rosenhaus! Mr. Cromatie on Line 2! Twisted Evil


This is kinda reminiscent of Elvis Costello's beef with Napoleon Dynamite, correct?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Twage



Joined: 29 Jul 2003
Posts: 331
Location: Astoria, NY
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Necros Antiquor wrote:
Um...why? So is this going to be at all like the Cromartie that we all know and love? I'm hoping it at least keeps the same spirit of the anime, if not the same set-up.


Someone (I'm thinking at least the screenwriter and the "planner") must have read the manga, because a lot of the film is scenes directly adapted from the manga (spoiler[pencil-eating, finding out about Mechazawa/Hiromi the Gorrilla/Freddie, etc.]) and, of course, the characters look almost exactly the same. Yamaguchi must have at least glanced at the character designs, even if he didn't actually read the thing.

And the movie is quite funny and very in the spirit of the manga. I think it's better-paced than the manga actually.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Diedrupo



Joined: 15 May 2002
Posts: 58
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:03 am Reply with quote
Man what a punk. This Warren Cromartie guy needs to grow a sense of humor and stop bothering manga artists who get their manga title name inspiration from famous people.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Coffeeman



Joined: 21 Jun 2005
Posts: 298
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:45 am Reply with quote
Michi wrote:
Necros Antiquor wrote:
From the Toon Zone article:

Quote:
In a question-and-answer session after the screening, Yamaguchi also cast some light on the production process. Yamaguchi said when the manga author, Nonaka Eiji, heard his manga would be made into a film, the artist said, "I don't care about the movie. Do whatever you want."

Yamaguchi took Nonaka at his word, and the director deliberately did not read the manga before directing the film. Yamaguchi said he hasn't seen the animated adaptation either.

Um...why? So is this going to be at all like the Cromartie that we all know and love? I'm hoping it at least keeps the same spirit of the anime, if not the same set-up.


o_O That's.. kinda.. weird. But at least it's just the director, and hopefully the other staff on the movie was familiar with the source work? x_X But with the director, you'd want him to keep the same feel... Lame.


It's not so uncommon.

The thinking is thus:

The director doesn't want his vision, his interpretation, to be influenced with by the other interpretations.
More likely it'll have the same set-up, but a divergent spirit, or it might be something entirely different.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jgreen



Joined: 14 Mar 2005
Posts: 1324
Location: St. Louis, MO
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:10 pm Reply with quote
ampersand wrote:
I believe you're thinking of Neil Gaiman's suing McFarlane for unauthorized use of his Angela character.


No, this exact same thing happened to McFarlane. He had a character named "Tony Twist" who he had named after a hockey player of the same name. There wasn't one iota of similarity between the two characters, and on top of that, Twist was NEVER a good hockey player. As a life-long St. Louis Blues fan, I can attest that Twist was a goon who had no offensive or defensive capability whatsoever, he was only famous as an "enforcer" who would pound the hell out of anyone who ever tried to mess with "The Golden Brett", Brett Hull.

Twist was shocked to find that he couldn't get any endorsement deals after his lackluster hockey career, so he sued McFarlane. Initially, he was awarded $24.5 million, but the judge overturned it. Then McFarlane was found innocent on appeal. Then the Missouri Supreme Court ruled in Twist's favor, awarding Twist $15 million. To avoid paying him one thin dime, McFarlane Productions immediately declared bankrupcy.

So yeah, the chances are very good that the creators of Cromartie High School could definitely be S.O.L.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU



Joined: 03 Jan 2002
Posts: 14522
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:57 pm Reply with quote
jgreen:
Quote:
He had a character named "Tony Twist" who he had named after a hockey player of the same name. There wasn't one iota of similarity between the two characters, and on top of that, Twist was NEVER a good hockey player.


But regardless, the use of his name was proven to be intentional.

Quote:
Twist was shocked to find that he couldn't get any endorsement deals after his lackluster hockey career, so he sued McFarlane.


Whether or not the two situations are related, McFarlane did misappropriate his image. And on top of that, he could easily be sued for libel. It doesn't fall into parody or "fair use", since McFarlane is exploiting the name for profit. The Cromartie thing's a little more grey, because while his name might be used to promote the franchise, it's not the sole reason people are seeing it. So it might still fall under "fair use", assuming that's the standard used in the Japanese legal system. It also isn't really as blatantly malicious as the Tony Twist thing, since Cromartie isn't a character as much as a faceless entity behind a "bad" school. So it doesn't really hurt his image, since he's not really portrayed in a negative light as much as an indifferent one.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Twage



Joined: 29 Jul 2003
Posts: 331
Location: Astoria, NY
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:15 am Reply with quote
A pic from the PiFan screening of some cosplayers and Yamaguchi second from the right:



These dudes were sitting on the balcony and it was pure chance that Yamaguchi saw them and invited them down onto the stage. Fun guy.


Last edited by Twage on Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
GATSU



Joined: 03 Jan 2002
Posts: 14522
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:21 am Reply with quote
For a sec, I thought the person cosplaying as Hokuto was a chick.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group