• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Harder and Harder to find Manga

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
perroloco

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Nausicaa is back in print, also Viz is going to release Uzumaki in a deluxe edition like Nausicaa.. Dunno if Uzumaki was OOP though

http://books.simonandschuster.com/Uzumaki-%283-in-1-Deluxe-Edition%29/Junji-Ito/Uzumaki/9781421561325
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:35 pm Reply with quote
perroloco wrote:
Nausicaa is back in print, also Viz is going to release Uzumaki in a deluxe edition like Nausicaa.. Dunno if Uzumaki was OOP though

http://books.simonandschuster.com/Uzumaki-%283-in-1-Deluxe-Edition%29/Junji-Ito/Uzumaki/9781421561325

From the looks of it, no. It's Gyo Vol. 1 that's OOP and expensive.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Uzumaki was OOP until it got reprints and yeah gyo vol.1 is the one that's OOP. Im really gonna have to pull the trigger on that nausicaa box but its a case of it being in print at a time when i have the funds to get it. may have to hurt my bank to get it when its available next and just try and recover cos that thing sells out too damn fast.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:58 pm Reply with quote
K got an order in for that Nausicaa box set now, sqeaky bum time as far as the bills go for the next few week so i hope its worth it.

Hobo cuisine for meh for a bit
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Aww, dammit, why did they have to do this glorious re-release of a manga I already own and love? It's tempting me so damn hard! It has the word "hardcover" right in the description! And if it has a larger page size, it'll just make all the creepy even more epic! Yeah, it'll probably come down to if it has a larger page size actually.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Looking at these pictures

Id say i'll not regret the purchase in the long run. It looks HUGE
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:52 am Reply with quote
I am picking up Banana Fish 17 tomorrow evening, while I ordered Jojo's Bizarre Adventure 11 through Book Depository while it's still cheap.

Still debating on Kekkaishi. I have the last volume sitting on my shelf where the library manga are. I'm glad the library was picking Kekkaishi up as it went along.

RAmmsoldat wrote:
Uzumaki was OOP until it got reprints and yeah gyo vol.1 is the one that's OOP. Im really gonna have to pull the trigger on that nausicaa box but its a case of it being in print at a time when i have the funds to get it. may have to hurt my bank to get it when its available next and just try and recover cos that thing sells out too damn fast.

Oh wow, they actually reprinted it? You know, I think I vaguely remember that happening, too. I think.

But stranger things have been reprinted: I just found out today via my library's new copies of Eyeshield 21 Vol. 1 that Viz actually reprinted it back in September 2012, around the same time they reprinted Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Vol. 1. They felt no need to reprint the other OOP volumes, though.
Ensof

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:32 am Reply with quote
I’ve been keeping a watch on Kaze Hikaru vol. 5 for about nine months now and it doesn’t look like it’s getting a reprint or coming down in price. It’s the only volume of the series that’s OOP and don’t the scalpers know it. Unfortunately the series is on life support – Viz is only releasing one volume per year, and while vol. 21 is due out this August it’s up to vol. 33 in Japan. So at least another twelve years for Viz just to catch up to where it is now? Insane. Against my better instincts I picked up vols 1-4 and 6-20 this week, but I’m going to continue the waiting game on vol. 5 for now.

Speaking of feudal era series I noticed a couple of months ago that someone over on the Retail forum paid a hefty sum for Path of the Assassin vol. 15. Sure enough it’s OOP and going for a fortune. Vol. 1 is also OOP but the price remains low for now. I’m glad I bought the series as it came out.
chichiriNoDa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:55 am Reply with quote
@Buster, just curious on your hunt for Banana Fish? So what volumes do you still need?

@Ensof, yeah Kaze Hikaru volume 5 has been OOP for a long time! Sadly, based on its current state I don't think it'll have a reprint.. Yeah it's ridiculous how viz is releasing it annually! But we should be glad they haven't dropped the series.. But come on, we have to wait more than a decade to even catch up wih its Japanese counterpart.. That's just astonishing!

The lowest price I could find for a great copy of Kaze Hikaru is on eBay which is for $37.. On amazon they have one for $39 including shipping but its ex-library..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Kaze Hikaru is 33 volumes in Japan and it's ongoing? Ick, that's a horrible situation for Viz to be in. It can't be profitable at this point; if they're spreading out the releases to once a year, that's so their better selling titles can cover the hit they're taking. I'm kind of surprised they're finishing it at all.
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm rather surprised they didn't do that with Gintama, there's no way that could've sold worse than Kaze Hikaru. Maybe continuing to publish it, even at snails pace, makes them somehow look good is all I can think of.
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Oh no, they wouldn't be losing that much money just to save face. Or else, as you said, there are a lot of other series where they could have done that (Reborn! comes to mind). There's got to be something else going on.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Is it not a similar situation to excel saga which got a slowed down release schedule?
Tamaria

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Kaze Hikaru is up to 30 something in Japan already? Ouch, I just started reading that one... Good thing I just snagged volume 5 for a bargain price of €4,37*, or I would have given up right here and now.

*Feel free to hate me, I know I deserve it :P

Speaking of OOP shoujo manga, Special Edition has Basara 1-9 for €50 (excl. shipping). Shipping prices for NL/BE are on the website, but they might ship to other countries as well if you ask them nicely.

Edit: Kaze Hikaru 5 is listed on Senor Hernandez for €8,99. That might be worth a shot.
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:39 pm Reply with quote
ZepysGirl wrote:
Oh no, they wouldn't be losing that much money just to save face.

spoiler[I have it on good authority that this is exactly the reason why no Shogakukan title gets the ax. The key point there is Shogakukan.] Things could have changed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 28 of 76