• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Harder and Harder to find Manga

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:04 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
I thought Viz was already re-printing Monster. My roomate works in a comic shop, and she was over the moon about getting Vol 1 in recently.

The Vol. 1 reprint happened a while ago: Newer reprints have the "SIG" logo rather than the flowery one originally used for Monster and The Drifting Classroom.

Haven't heard anything else though.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:04 am Reply with quote
Buster Blader 126 wrote:
littlegreenwolf wrote:
I thought Viz was already re-printing Monster. My roomate works in a comic shop, and she was over the moon about getting Vol 1 in recently.

The Vol. 1 reprint happened a while ago: Newer reprints have the "SIG" logo rather than the flowery one originally used for Monster and The Drifting Classroom.

Haven't heard anything else though.

Oh so its out of print again then as vol.1 is silly prices still yet the photo on amazon does indeed show the sig logo on the spine.....

see that just pisses me off, had they mentioned the reprints i could have got them but I've been running about getting other at risk books.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 3:52 pm Reply with quote
It's unfortunate you're over seas. As to everyone else, I'm not sure what's up with the online sellers, but if you're in North America and want it I'd at least try to order through your local comic shop. Maybe it was a limited run of reprints, but Diamond (crappy as it is) orders directly from publishers and keeps inventory in some warehouses somewhere, so if they have a bunch of volumes sitting somewhere you might luck out.

However either way, with Monster being picked up for an HBO tv series you can bet your money on a new print run happening. There's no way they'd miss out on that. Sales of books always go up with TV series, and though it's not cable, we'll probably be seeing monster compete with the likes of Walking Dead on the NY Times list if all goes well. HBO new shows are something everyone pretty much checks out. And Del Toro just adds a whole niche fanbase to it.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 4:02 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
It's unfortunate you're over seas. As to everyone else, I'm not sure what's up with the online sellers, but if you're in North America and want it I'd at least try to order through your local comic shop. Maybe it was a limited run of reprints, but Diamond (crappy as it is) orders directly from publishers and keeps inventory in some warehouses somewhere, so if they have a bunch of volumes sitting somewhere you might luck out.

However either way, with Monster being picked up for an HBO tv series you can bet your money on a new print run happening. There's no way they'd miss out on that. Sales of books always go up with TV series, and though it's not cable, we'll probably be seeing monster compete with the likes of Walking Dead on the NY Times list if all goes well. HBO new shows are something everyone pretty much checks out. And Del Toro just adds a whole niche fanbase to it.

yeah my original hope was that the series would spur a reprint so i guess i gotta bank on that. will give me time to address other books though so its not all bad.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 12:36 pm Reply with quote
I hope this is the case for Monster as I am considering it to be my next "hard to find/excessively expensive" series to collect after I have finally got some of the rarer Berserk volumes.

I'm hoping that they start a re-release soon as I do not want to repeat of Hunter X Hunter - which I purchased the rare books first while I focused on other series, to the see that when I came back to finish the collection VIZ had reprinted some of the books I already had and Amazon UK was selling a couple of them a tenth of what I had paid... Serves me right for not doing my research ha.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Thing about doing the research, when nobody is saying anything and books are just slipping out into circulation and disappearing again without mention its kinda hard to be clued in. Hell even though i was bugging viz about HunterXHunter in regards to reprints and if no reprints suggestions as to some online stores i could check out they were totally silent.

I find the people on the viz social media pages to be quite unhelpful.
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:07 am Reply with quote
RAmmsoldat wrote:
Thing about doing the research, when nobody is saying anything and books are just slipping out into circulation and disappearing again without mention its kinda hard to be clued in. Hell even though i was bugging viz about HunterXHunter in regards to reprints and if no reprints suggestions as to some online stores i could check out they were totally silent.

There are good reasons for many publishers to remain quiet. Some contracts are written in favor of Japan. And what I mean by that is that in the US royalties are paid out for books sold. In Japan royalties are paid out for books printed.

So some publishers, Vertical included have to be very careful in regards to when and how we do reprints. Especially since putting books OOP means a clock turns on for contract termination.

Most publishers also pay royalties 2 to 4 times a year, so they have time to make a decision between those windows. Therefore many publishers will not make such things public unless they know for certain they'll be reprinting, and for good reason.

Also...I've been checking this thread for a while. Be careful when just assuming books are reprinted. There could simply be a stock shift. Books can be returned from vendors to publishers if the books are not damaged or their cartons haven't been opened. Books can also go to wholesellers and remainders, and then purchased/traded at low low costs without the publisher's consent. So unless a publisher's distributor has the book in-stock be cautious, or simply act fast.

With that in mind, as noted on the main page - Andromeda Stories is going into forced OOP by Ms Takemiya on June 30th. All remaining stock will be destroyed July 1st. So if you want to finish your collection or start this series, get your copies soon. Cause there were very few of these in the market to begin with.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:39 am Reply with quote
^And that is why Vertical is so awesome! I feel like we're all in the dark on this stuff and you're the only one explaining how things (might) work. I had no idea that in Japan, royalties are paid by books printed, not sold. I was equally clueless that many US manga publishers probably have to do the books printed thing.

I just don't get why other publishers won't say that things aren't being reprinted for sure. I certainly understand that not everything sells well, but if it's going out anyway, it's nice to get a heads up so I was able to tell lots of people to buy up Twin Spica while there was still time. If the timer has already started, I don't get the harm in letting their customer base know.
CheechMonger

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:49 am Reply with quote
Vertical_Ed wrote:
With that in mind, as noted on the main page - Andromeda Stories is going into forced OOP by Ms Takemiya on June 30th. All remaining stock will be destroyed July 1st. So if you want to finish your collection or start this series, get your copies soon. Cause there were very few of these in the market to begin with.

Thanks for the tip Ed. I've skipped over this series in favor of others. I've gone ahead and ordered all three volumes as I don't want to cry about it later.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:52 am Reply with quote
I would have though giving a heads up might work in their favour as people like me might buy the manga even though I might not necessarily be interested in said manga I could be in the future and don't want to pay the sky rocketed prices if it can be avoided. This in the short run should sell any stock that may have taken longer to push through.

(I used to manage a Gamestation store in the UK and we did this with stock that we new we would not get a lot of and would not get replenished. I would have non left by the end of the release week.)

I'm guessing I would not be the only person with this mind set.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 12:08 am Reply with quote
Well, as I learned today, xxxHolic Volume 17 has been delisted from TRSI. Sadly, this meant it was taken out of my order that I placed on there.

Now I'm really hoping that TRSI won't delist Volume 19 before they send me my order...
chichiriNoDa

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 12:52 am Reply with quote
@Aura Sorry to hear your trouble.. Yeah both volumes 17 & 19 of Xxxholic are OOP.. Especially 17, its ridiculously overpriced, much pricier than Volumes 19 & 20 of Basara..

I had mentioned that specific volumes of Xxxholic were getting OOP one month ago... I got lucky and was able to buy a copy before the prices skyrocketed..
st_owly

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 5:33 am Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
Well, as I learned today, xxxHolic Volume 17 has been delisted from TRSI. Sadly, this meant it was taken out of my order that I placed on there.

Now I'm really hoping that TRSI won't delist Volume 19 before they send me my order...

My local comic store has a volume 19, if you want me to get it for you. I may be able to find a copy of 17 as well.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 5:41 am Reply with quote
Archonia.com has nine copies left of volume 17. They're €8,76, but shipping might be kind of expensive if you don't live in the Benelux.
chichiriNoDa

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 5:36 pm Reply with quote
I got lucky and bought volumes 1 through 9 of Eden its an endless world from somebody who is selling it through local listing. I'll be reading it after I read the remaining volumes of Iron Wok Jan that I have..
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 32 of 76