• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Harder and Harder to find Manga

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:04 pm Reply with quote
^I'm still working up the courage to actually read my set, I've had it for maybe 2-3 months now.

Hmm, as for collecting an entire series in reverse order....well I collected Black Jack out of order. I got the first volume first, but after that, I was all over the place. I somehow ended up collecting most of the even volumes in a random order, then collecting the odd volumes in an also random order. Then at Otakon, I got like, everything I was missing up to 15 or so, I don't think I even got 16 before 17. I don't think I've ever gotten a series in such a random order before or since, but since it's entirely episodic, I could fortunately read them as I got them anyway. There wasn't even a rush to get these, they're still all in print (far as I can tell, or at least mostly in print).
For Fruits Basket, used place had 9-23 (sans 22) for $3 a piece, then I went online and got 1-8. I really lucked out that Fruits Basket was good since I hadn't even paid it any mind beyond flipping through volume 1 in my shojo hating days at the Borders once and assuming it was fluffy at all times based on the a few panels.
I got Firefighter Daigo in a fairly random order because I got a good 8 volumes for free, the earliest of which was I think 6 or 7. I started to read some anyway and found it addictive despite not fully knowing what was going on, so it made me get the rest as I could.

I did get the PS1 Spyro games in reverse order though (partly because PS2 was my first console, so all the games were out by then).
st_owly

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:12 am Reply with quote
I collected Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles out of order. I picked up random volumes here and there when the comic shop had them, then did a massive Amazon binge a couple of months ago and picked up the ones I didn't have. I've been doing a similar thing with Itazura na Kiss. Currently I have 1-3, 5 and 7 of that, as the comic shop mispriced them when they first got them in and they were £7.99 instead of £12.99...
perroloco

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:44 pm Reply with quote
What volumes of Hikaru no go were about to get OOP or did they got reprinted? Just got some volumes for pretty cheap and thought I should buy the volumes about to be OOP first.

Same with Excel Saga, does anyone here collect that? Any volume I should consider buying first *before it goes OOP*

I haven't even finished reading volume 1 of With The Light and "A message to Adolf" and my soon to come volumes of Barefoot Gen.. >.>
It seems for the first time in my life I am addicted to buying stuff >.> but in my defense they were pretty damn cheap... So are you like me guys, or do you have like a "To buy list"?
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:15 pm Reply with quote
I've got quite a "to buy" list too. some of it is stuff I'm half collecting, others are things that suddenly caught my whimsy that I must have the rest of. Like, I'd been eyeing Baby & Me for maybe a few weeks, then I got the first two volumes for $2 a pop, liked them, and quickly procured the rest mostly online for quite cheap.
Sometimes I'm just behind on things, like I am for Higurashi right now. I've yet to start a massive catch up, I'm missing volumes 5, 6, and from 15 onwards. Every Otakon, I print out a massive list of what I need (it's always on my computer, I adjust it for Otakon by writing out every number so I can cross them out easier, and I don't even list things that aren't supposed to be out by then). But that doesn't stop me from having whims that I act quickly on, like when I was at that used store and suddenly got Fruits Basket. I tend to do more blind buys with anime though, because you generally plop down for a whole series at once. With manga, I can usually go to the library first.

I think the later volumes of Hikaru no Go are the ones to rush to. I actually started to get them as they came out towards the end there. For Excel Saga volume 7 or 8 I think? One of those is already massively OOP.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:05 am Reply with quote
All of Hikaru no Go should be back in print.

For Excel Saga, Vol. 7 & 8 are the OOP volumes that currently sit in the $30~ range. Vol. 5 is also OOP but can still be obtained for a good price.

As for To Buy lists, I have one of those too. Because I read a lot of manga through the public library system, titles I want to buy that I first read through the library are the ones where I'd rather pay $5 or less per volume to obtain them.
perroloco

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:16 am Reply with quote
O.o y-you are right, then I guess I got very lucky.

You made me double check the auction I won, maybe I had gotten volumes 1-14 excluding the ones OOP or something, but they are in. I won it (Well, actually I bought it) for $10, I thought it was a pretty sweet deal so I didn't want to let it go because I had liked what I had seen of Excel Saga spanish dub, the auction was going to end today or something.. no one had bid and there was the "Buy now" at $10.
Volumes 1 to 14. O.o I guess I got lucky.

Definetly lucky considering I just saw a listing of Excel Saga volumes 1-13 for $199 on ebay..
sakurai16

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:09 pm Reply with quote
abebooks.com has manga alot cheaper- but im not sure about out of print manga since im still trying to get my hands on a copy of black god 8.
perroloco

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:27 am Reply with quote
@sakurai16:
Thanks for the tip, but I have noticed all the online bookstores are interconnected so to speak so if a certain book its OOP say in amazon.. Its going to be OOP for good, of course there are some cases when they have some stock.. And I am pretty sure a lot of comic bookstores have a lot of OOP volumes gathering dust.. Being ignored.. -.-
st_owly

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:02 am Reply with quote
perroloco wrote:
@sakurai16:
Thanks for the tip, but I have noticed all the online bookstores are interconnected so to speak so if a certain book its OOP say in amazon.. Its going to be OOP for good, of course there are some cases when they have some stock.. And I am pretty sure a lot of comic bookstores have a lot of OOP volumes gathering dust.. Being ignored.. -.-

My comic book stores have helped lots of people on here get various OOP volumes, and I've had the favour returned by others. It's a good system Smile

@sakurai - I may be able to get you a copy of Black God 8. The comic store may have it still. Interested?
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:53 am Reply with quote
I've actually ran off back to video gaming for a while as i was getting really frustrated with all the OOP stuff, problem is by doing this kinda thing i don't make it any easier for myself in the long run.

Just had to take a break though, i was scouring the net every da and making big emergency purchase of anything i thought was in danger of vanishing and there's way too much that runs that risk.

As soon as im done saving for a PS4 i'll get back to buying mangas.
perroloco

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Just wanted to let you guys know that I received the books from amazon and mybookdepository.

I had order Barefoot Gen vol 7,9 and 10 from amazon. Volume 8 from mybookdepository (through amazon).

I was very surprised to find them for MSRP (volumes 8 and 9) seems like they still have some in stock (probably 2 or 3 for each volume) once they finish stock the second hand market will probably go up in price so hurry.
osakaedo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Just wanna let peeps know the following Vertical titles will be going OOP very very soon:

Twin Spica vol 6
Twin Spica vol 7
Black Jack vol 6
Black Jack vol 12
Black Jack vol 13
Black Jack HARDCOVER vol 3
Dororo vol 3
perroloco

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Also from vertical
Andromeda Stories and To Terra.
Too bad for Black Jack I wanted to collect the series but seeing how it has a lot of OOP volumes (and weirdly Vertical only reprinting the first five..) I think I won't start it.. -.-
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:59 pm Reply with quote
@perroloco
You should just collect what you can of Black Jack anyway. It's entirely episodic, I read the volumes all out of order. And it's worth it to read whatever you can, it's all good.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:57 am Reply with quote
osakaedo wrote:
Just wanna let peeps know the following Vertical titles will be going OOP very very soon:

Twin Spica vol 6
Twin Spica vol 7
Black Jack vol 6
Black Jack vol 12
Black Jack vol 13
Black Jack HARDCOVER vol 3
Dororo vol 3

Thanks for the heads up, I just decided to wait to pick up Black Jack as I've just purchased the BD, I won't be waiting now Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 38 of 76