• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Harder and Harder to find Manga

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tamaria

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:01 am Reply with quote
Quote:

I also got these from the mail today! Got them both at the same time..

Now you're one step closer to being able to call yourself an real shojo fan Very Happy
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:32 am Reply with quote
oh no i never pay the crazy prices (mostly because i cant afford to) the most I've ever shelled out for a regular manga is about £12 but i generally like to keep em around down 5-6.
chichiriNoDa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:15 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
@chichiri - Well done on getting those 2. ^^ I may be able to find you a Town of Evening Calm next time I'm in Glasgow, if you're interested?

Please do help me out again!

Tamaria wrote:
Now you're one step closer to being able to call yourself an real shojo fan Very Happy

Oh trust me I'm more of a shojo bloke fan. Like 75% of my collection is of Shojo genre.. I'm more into romance and slice of life genre more than anything..

RAmmsoldat wrote:
oh no i never pay the crazy prices (mostly because i can't afford to) the most I've ever shelled out for a regular manga is about £12 but i generally like to keep em around down 5-6.

Oh trust me dude.. If you don't want to invest on OOP titles more than what you're willing to pay then you might not get them at all! I've been buying such outrageous single volume for such pretty amount. Sigh..

The most unforgettable volume I bought was Basara volume 19 for $53! But then again I just think I got volume 20 of Basara for a regular price to justify my expenditure to this series. So it isn't so bad lol..

I hate getting into such old series late in the game..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:11 pm Reply with quote
yeah I've been learning to just leave em alone. I took a look at what I've spent on manga this year and although i couldn't account for everything i can estimate that its in the £400-£450 which quite frankly is crap for me as i used to spend that much on anime in a month every month. My spending power is through the floor and even if i manage to get another job that's unlikely to change as its proving very difficult to even find a job that covers my living costs never mind entertainment budgets.

Someone buzz the delorean i wanna hitch a ride back to 2000
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:29 am Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
@chichiri - Well done on getting those 2. ^^ I may be able to find you a Town of Evening Calm next time I'm in Glasgow, if you're interested?

Yikes, I didn't realize how expensive this got!
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:44 am Reply with quote
ouch yeah, well that one is coming off the wishlist. If i see it going cheapy cheap one day i'll grab it but otherwise im not going to put a lot of effort into it as it was a book i thought it'd be nice to have in a collection but nothing more.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Am in that situation where i have a bit of money to spend on manga and way too many options on what to get. no matter how i decide i always feel like i could have chosen better.

Whats worse is im scraping about the net looking for a place that has sales or discount vouchers and they just don't exist within my borders, were i to buy something from abroad the postage and possibility of a kicking from the customs gang kills any discounts i manage to get and so ultimately makes no difference.

decisions decisions
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Got the vizbig volumes of DBZ 1 &2 cheap and now i see why, 4&5 are gold bricks it seems.

And rurouni kenshin viz big 7 is the same.

F**K it all, it gives me a headache with all this bullcrap
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:14 pm Reply with quote
RAmmsoldat wrote:
Got the vizbig volumes of DBZ 1 &2 cheap and now i see why, 4&5 are gold bricks it seems.

And rurouni kenshin viz big 7 is the same.

F**K it all, it gives me a headache with all this bullcrap

Why do you not grab volumes in BIG 4 & 5 separately? It will be a hell of a lot cheaper.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:20 pm Reply with quote
yeah i could do that but its a shame to break the consistency. I guess the benefit would be that if i ever come across those volumes i can swap em out.
NeburPT

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:15 am Reply with quote
Due to the new 3-in-1 DB volumes coming out, Viz has said that they will also keep in print the Vizbig line for collector's, so I'm sure it's just a matter of time until those volumes get reprinted - I'm in that same situation. And number 4, I believe, was already in out of print status at the bookdepository (when they say to look into abebooks for a copy) but it has recently changed its status to a "currently unavailable". Not sure about Rurouni Kenshin though, I bought that volume and the rest of them as soon as it was going out of print so I've still managed to get a used copy for cheap...
barbapapa

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:48 am Reply with quote
If anyone's still looking for Barbara by Tezuka, and or Blue by Kiriko Nanana; I'm selling my copies... (know that I'm aware of what they're worth, and I live in Belgium so shipping won't be cheap if you live in the States - but I'm a reasonable guy)
chichiriNoDa

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:18 pm Reply with quote
@Tamaria - I went to the used comic shop today but unfortunately there is only one volume left and it wasn't volume 7. :/

Any particular volumes or series you are after? This comic shop carry some OOP titles its quite astonishing.

Like when I went today I saw a pristine copy of The Voices of a Distant Star! I was surprised since I could've buy that instead of buying online.. But anyway if worst comes to worst and the copy I bought online won't arrive I'm buying that one..

On a positive note though I happen to get a set of Naoki Urasawa's Monster volumes 1 through 17 for $100! I thought it was a terrific deal so I bought it. I happen to have some of the OOP already but saved me from buying volumes 3 & 8 for ridiculous prices.

Now I'm all broke until the next paycheck. lol
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:03 am Reply with quote
Got an email off amazon begging me for my copy of berserk volume 18 lol. I only used that trade in service the once for deadman wonderland volume 1 because it was a series that had been dropped by the publisher and i was hopeful it would get renewed by someone else (yay viz).

Thankfully after my copy of vol.26 arrives i'll be up to date until 37 releases at the end of the year and with the rate miura is releasing chapters i wont need to buy another volume for a year or so after that

I'll also have Fullmetal alchemist capped off too, its not rare but its another series i wont have to worry about finding the time to get volumes of. I aim to get the last 2 volumes of hellsing before anything happens to them and then try and get more gantz on my shelf, basically i gotta focus some fire on the dark horse stuff.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:55 am Reply with quote
Anyone collecting Dr slump? i just grabbed volumes 4,5,6 and 7 off ebay for £11
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 42 of 76