• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Harder and Harder to find Manga

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crisha

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Awesome! I sent you a PM asking how you wanted me to pay (whenever you're ready).

Thanks again for looking! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:21 am Reply with quote
back to hunting slam dunk again, managed to grab 18 as that was looking risky but because amazon now have a £10 minimum before you can get free delivery i wound up throwing in a volume of attack on titan to make the grade though i really should have grabbed bakuman 15

anyway slam dunk 16 eludes me, anime-on-line offer it but every time I've tried to get a book off them they've dicked me about for weeks and then finally fessed up to not having it and not being able to get it, i really wish these anime and manga stores would get their shit together. Kenshin vizbig volume 6 is also OOP, im hoping that the get a reprint.

that mushishi announcement yesterday has really put me in a bad mood today
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:17 pm Reply with quote
aaaaand just like that i managed to order slam dunk 16 from ebay, a tad over the usual price but if its all its supposed to be it should be worthwhile.
Treetastic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:52 pm Reply with quote
I found some Cyborg 009 at the local used book store. Is it worth collecting? From what I've heard, it sounds like most of the books are hard to find.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:11 pm Reply with quote
You've kind of got to have a thing for older shonen, I'm not sure it would appeal to people who need more modern shonen. But Tokyopop only published ten volumes, that's a problem.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:56 am Reply with quote
according to a tweet from viz JoJo is getting a reprint so i may attempt to grab it. Is the manga that viz released the basis of the recent anime adaptation? i heard they skipped over a bit and started later in the series.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:08 pm Reply with quote
There is an auction for Kiss All the Boys 1-3 all apparently brand new; which seems like a good deal if you live in the states. I would have picked this up but the postage is a little too much for me right now.

Edit: also looking at their other items they seem to be selling quite a few old Tokyopop titles.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NeburPT

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:59 pm Reply with quote
RAmmsoldat wrote:
according to a tweet from viz JoJo is getting a reprint so i may attempt to grab it. Is the manga that viz released the basis of the recent anime adaptation? i heard they skipped over a bit and started later in the series.

The Viz release is of Part 3, Stardust Crusaders, the one that will get an anime adaptation this season. Viz has skipped both Part 1, Phantom Blood (5 volumes) and Part 2, Battle Tendency (7 volumes), and numbered the Part 3 volumes from 1 to 16.

The main character from Battle Tendency, Joseph Joestar, also appears in Part 3, and although it will be more enjoyable if you have read - or watched - the previous parts, given Jojo's episodic nature you can also begin simply reading Stardust Crusaders without previous knowledge of the series. Volume 1 of Stardust Crusaders actually has a prologue where they sum up the most important moments of the series so far - which, of course, includes spoilers and descriptions of both endings.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:21 am Reply with quote
cheers for the info, i'll mull it over a while longer. As it is i still have a no new series sanction self imposed while i finish off/catch up with one i have on the go though i did make an exception for deadman wonderland as I had already attempted to buy that via tokyopop so picking up the viz release was just carrying on technically.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:21 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
Righto. Ended up not being able to go yesterday so I shall go today instead!

EDIT: Found volume 3. I'll be going to Newcastle and York next week so I may be able to find volume 5 there.

Gah, I wish I saw this earlier. I'm still looking for a Del Rey edition of Vol. 3.
st_owly

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:43 am Reply with quote
Buster Blader 126 wrote:
st_owly wrote:
Righto. Ended up not being able to go yesterday so I shall go today instead!

EDIT: Found volume 3. I'll be going to Newcastle and York next week so I may be able to find volume 5 there.

Gah, I wish I saw this earlier. I'm still looking for a Del Rey edition of Vol. 3.

Sorry man. Newcastle and York only had even numbered volumes, the volume 3 I found was a Kodansha one, and willag has dibs anyway. However, Glasgow may be fruitful next week.
NeburPT

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:27 am Reply with quote
RAmmsoldat wrote:
cheers for the info, i'll mull it over a while longer. As it is i still have a no new series sanction self imposed while i finish off/catch up with one i have on the go though i did make an exception for deadman wonderland as I had already attempted to buy that via tokyopop so picking up the viz release was just carrying on technically.

I could not recommend Jojo enough, and as a fan I am also very pleased with the anime adaptation, so perhaps, as you make up your mind, you could even start there since I enjoyed more the anime Phantom Blood counterpart than the manga, as Araki still had not developed his trademark style in the 80's, and the art of Part 1 comes of as too stiff and old school for me.

Here is Jason Thompson's article on the series: animenewsnetwork.com/house-of-1000-manga/2010-12-23
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:14 am Reply with quote
hmm, that makes it sound like what viz put out is a small chunk of a much bigger story.

I think i'll have to give it a miss, as much as i like to grab critically acclaimed stuff it just seems like id feel it was too incomplete if i had it.
NeburPT

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:37 am Reply with quote
RAmmsoldat wrote:
hmm, that makes it sound like what viz put out is a small chunk of a much bigger story.

I think i'll have to give it a miss, as much as i like to grab critically acclaimed stuff it just seems like id feel it was too incomplete if i had it.

I don't feel it is incomplete at all: there are certain elements that are carried from one part to the next, such as the Joestar family, or Dio Brando's presence and legacy, which is even felt and relevant in later parts, but I'd say Stardust Crusaders in specific feels very episodic and it feels like its characters are jumping from one fight to the other until the final goal, like some stage of those old Streets of Rage videogames lol. I actually read somes parts out of order when discovering the series, and Part 7, Steel Ball Run, is a reboot of the entire Jojo universe.

There is also the problem of copyright, since Araki always uses names of bands/singers for its characters and stands, and there is a lot of red tape involved in order to get the rest of the series published in english - besides, it's a cult series outside of Japan, and even with the anime support I don't think, unfortunately, it would sell that well. So, aside from Viz's Stardust Crusaders, I don't think there is a possibility of the rest of the series to come in print in the near future, so I'd say you are basically limited to this one either way.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:26 pm Reply with quote
yeah i can see that, hmm its a tough one. I'll have to see how life plays out, Im very close to finishing off a few more series so i can open the gates again soon, just wish i had more income.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 62 of 76