• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IanC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Soooo.... any idea if it needs an install on the PS3?
Juno016

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Alunimus wrote:
Quote:
I can't stomach so many games and anime because they're far too bloody
MGR isn't bloody. I mean there are no rivers of blood and "fountains" like in Samurai Shodown, for example. But main characters spoiler[gets himself stabbed by sword in one of the cut-scenes (because nowadays you are not cool slasher game character without being stabbed at least once)].

The blood in the trailers made me feel sick. Even if they aren't ridiculous rivers or fountains of blood, I still couldn't handle what was already there. And I heard he does worse to his enemies to replenish his HP. I just want to know if I can turn the blood off or if I will have to stomach it if I want to play it someday...
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:20 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
I feel like the only one that doesn't like this game. I tried the demo a while back and I just couldn't get into the controls on this. Controlling the sword with the analog got so tedious, I ended up mostly using the buttons instead. Not to mention, you're just standing there swinging a sword with analog in the middle of a street section in a GUNFIGHT.

Not my cup, basically.
Wait what? What are you talking about? Use buttons? You had to use them? Yeah, thats how you normally play combo driven action games like this? I'm not even sure what you are talking about with controlling the sword with the analog. I mean I know you are talking about blade mode, but that's not the entire game and I'm not sure how it's tedious either?
sainta wrote:
It's amazing how ANN's reviews contrast gaming sites. They have been giving Metal Gear Rising lower scores citing short campaigns of 4 hours (which even Inaba had to state in his twitter as 8 hours long) leaving DmC with a higher score. It's getting hard to defend video game sites nowadays.

Huh. Rising has been getting great reviews all over. Even Dave's DMC review isn't that much of a contrast from other reviews.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
DG_Nick

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:18 pm Reply with quote
IanC wrote:

It has a 2186mb install and a 65mb patch.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:17 pm Reply with quote
sainta wrote:
It's amazing how ANN's reviews contrast gaming sites. They have been giving Metal Gear Rising lower scores citing short campaigns of 4 hours (which even Inaba had to state in his twitter as 8 hours long) leaving DmC with a higher score. It's getting hard to defend video game sites nowadays.
Well, the only gaming site I visit regularly is Destructoid, and they gave Metal Gear a 9 out of 10. Personally, I don't mind shorter campaigns. I don't always want to sink 40+ hours into one game.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:20 pm Reply with quote
This isn't a deconstruction of violence the way Spec Ops: The Line was (a game I could only bring myself to finish once, but should be played by people at least once). This is refuge in how audacious it all looks. And that's OK.

Still gonna wait on it, given the short play time. Razz
Nocturne123

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:30 am Reply with quote
This game isnt anywhere NEAR as violent as games like Gears of War.

Plus, almost every Metal Gear game can be beaten in a matter of hours if you fly through it.

I played, just today from 3 to 11 and Im only on chapter 3. Why? Because I listen to all the codec conversations that you can have that, you know, flesh out the story and the characters.

I feel like this review really only touched the surface of the game and it's gameplay, without taking much of anything else into consideration. 6-7 hours to beat? If you do nothing else but fight and upgrade.
Cranium

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:35 am Reply with quote
"This is one in a scant handful of videogames with the gall to use the names of actual countries instead of ginning up some vaguely Arabic sounding name, planting it somewhere in the Middle East, and calling it a day. That ought to count for something, at least."

Didn't MGS4 do just that?
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:24 am Reply with quote
Nocturne123 wrote:
This game isnt anywhere NEAR as violent as games like Gears of War.

It's pretty much just as violent if not more. I mean really at this point it would be kind of silly to argue about which one is more voilent.

"Oh this one has more 5% more blood when you shoot someone"

They are both pretty violent and while MGR you can argue is so over the top that it can't be taken serious, I'm not sure how that wouldn't apply to the macho cheesefest that is Gears.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:14 am Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
prime_pm wrote:
I feel like the only one that doesn't like this game. I tried the demo a while back and I just couldn't get into the controls on this. Controlling the sword with the analog got so tedious, I ended up mostly using the buttons instead. Not to mention, you're just standing there swinging a sword with analog in the middle of a street section in a GUNFIGHT.

Not my cup, basically.
Wait what? What are you talking about? Use buttons? You had to use them? Yeah, thats how you normally play combo driven action games like this? I'm not even sure what you are talking about with controlling the sword with the analog. I mean I know you are talking about blade mode, but that's not the entire game and I'm not sure how it's tedious either?

Maybe tedious is the wrong word. Basically, I don't like how, whenever I go into blade mode, my character must remain stationary, and I have to use the analog stick to slice the enemy, which is never a straight cut anyway, so I'm just randomly moving the right stick around in several directions until there's a whole mess of limbs. And since I'm rewarded for precision cutting, eg. health, this feels rendered mute.

Plus, the storyline doesn't grab me, and I just don't feel right bringing a sword to an urban gunfight, cyborg or not. But, hey, that's just my opinion.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:28 am Reply with quote
Well I guess the students here will be happy. We just got our copy in yesterday. Let's see how long it lasts. So do folks like Raiden now? I think that was answered back in MGS4. Wink
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:23 am Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Well I guess the students here will be happy. We just got our copy in yesterday. Let's see how long it lasts. So do folks like Raiden now? I think that was answered back in MGS4. Wink

I wouldn't know. They never released a copy for the 360.
IanC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:06 pm Reply with quote
DG_Nick wrote:
IanC wrote:

It has a 2186mb install and a 65mb patch.

Oh, FFS. Rolling Eyes

Might get it on 360 then, getting really bored with forced installs. Hey, my 360 will get used for the first time this year then! YAY.
DKL

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:52 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:

my character must remain stationary

Left-click allows you to move Raiden around while in blade mode.
Henry Jones

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:18 pm Reply with quote
The big reason I think this game gets noticed for its violence is because Kojima does a whole lot to make the gamer feel guilty for the violence that is being done or to at least recognize that it isn't "good." Metal Gear Solid goes out of its way to make you feel guilty for what you do to the bosses (Way out of its way in my book. That game was an experiment in how far back my eyes can roll). The third had an area that punished you by having the length tethered to how many people you killed. In the fourth, I have a feeling Kojima just lost his patience and decided to go straight for the libido by forcing the gamer to kill hot chicks.

The point is, to have a franchise run by Kojima hand the reins over to people whose specialty is wanton, over-the-top, extreme violence is rather unusual.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4