• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Echo_City

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:23 pm Reply with quote
"Revengeance?" Who else thought about Metalocalypse when they saw that title?
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:21 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
I feel like the only one that doesn't like this game. I tried the demo a while back and I just couldn't get into the controls on this. Controlling the sword with the analog got so tedious, I ended up mostly using the buttons instead. Not to mention, you're just standing there swinging a sword with analog in the middle of a street section in a GUNFIGHT.

Not my cup, basically.

I don't dislike it, but I'm not a huge fan, even though the Metal Gear series is my favorite game series. The story has its moments, and certainly remembers that it's a Metal Gear game, but the shortness of it doesn't really let it develop as the others do, and I feel like the rapid pace of the gameplay meant that the cutscenes had to follow suit. Also, I definitely appreciated an attempt to insert some stealth, but the enemy AI clearly was meant for combat rather than the patrolling and searching of the previous games. Safe to say, I'm looking forward to MGS: Ground Zeroes much more.

Echo_City wrote:

Me.
DomonX2

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:39 am Reply with quote
Is there a Japanese audio option for the NA version of the game? Don't get me wrong, I love Quinton Flynn as Raiden and he IS Raiden, but he's no Ken'yu Hoiruchi.

NOTE: I love the English versions of MGS, but I hate how Konami of America alter the lip sync and make the NA version "English only". The Japanese, who prefer the English versions get the English versions of the game, so why can't I?
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:21 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:

me too, id love me a dethklok game

make it like gitaroo man
Satsujinki

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:56 am Reply with quote
fathomlessblue wrote:
While there are naturally cases of extreme aggression being put to good use in any medium, violence for the sake violence usually comes across exactly as it means to: as masturbation fodder for testosterone filled 14 years olds & the type of adult who plays nothing but shooters every night.

Please save the pseudoscience until you can find said 14 year olds who might be impressed with it because they don't know any better.

fathomlessblue wrote:
You can find material that manages to pull it off, usually by containing something special beyond gore alone (eg Bacanno), or being seen as a novelty (Schwarzenegger movies), but often the content exists solely satiate people with somewhat unhealthy bloodlusts.

This rhetoric reminds me of Jack Thompson. Anyone remember him? Had it out for Rockstar (Grand Theft Auto, Max Payne, etc.) way back when and tried to base his cases around school shootings and the perpetrators being gamers (if anyone's seen what Eric and Dylan from Columbine wrote about prior to the shooting, you'd know it wasn't Doom or Quake that pushed them over the edge). He did not win a single one of those cases. The Florida Bar eventually got fed up with his shenanigans and disbarred him. He is a prime example of the definition of insanity.

fathomlessblue wrote:
This is especially true of anime, from the ott violence of 80-90’s ova’s like Apocalypse Zero, to more recent shows like Elfen Lied (ok, 10 years back), Deadman Wonderland or Blood C, that serve more to excite, rather than shock or create a sense of environment.

I was not "excited" by any of the violence depicted in what you mentioned; please do not pigeonhole me or anyone else who liked Elfen Lied and/or Metal Gear Rising into being latent hematolagniacs based on a personal and ultimately arbitrary feeling of the intent behind those showcases of violence; the world is full of people with vastly varying degrees of maturity and ethical thresholds than you, it's not a binary difference.

Henry Jones wrote:
...to have a franchise run by Kojima hand the reins over to people whose specialty is wanton, over-the-top, extreme violence is rather unusual.

It made perfect sense to me given Raiden's foundation and evolution as a character in the original Metal Gear canon, and Kojima and Inaba's eccentricities compliment each other well. They're both responsible for producing or being part of some of the best games ever made (Zone of the Enders and Devil May Cry - the original, to name a few), so the mention of them cooperating before I even knew how the game would turn out was enough to get me hype.

DomonX2 wrote:
Is there a Japanese audio option for the NA version of the game?

No, and as much as I would love if more games would follow the example of Disgaea (the first one) in this regard, it is exceedingly rare (Capcom tried to go all out with RE6... man oh man, don't get me started on that one).
DomonX2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:12 am Reply with quote
Quote:
No, and as much as I would love if more games would follow the example of Disgaea (the first one) in this regard, it is exceedingly rare (Capcom tried to go all out with RE6... man oh man, don't get me started on that one).

These western subsidiaries of Japanese companies are so stupid. They don't include the original audio for their games, instead they sync it, so the dialogue sounds natural and effectively screwing North Americans who PREFER the Japanese audio. Yeah, yeah, I know that games from MGS 2- were recorded/released in English first, but still. Japanese gamers, if they choose(not they ever would, due to David Hayter's horrid Snake) have the option to play the game in English audio, via special editions, so why can't I play the game in Japanese audio? I don't care if there is a rumor, that Kojima prefers the English versions. Snake IS better in Japanese and so is Raiden(though Flynn is still awesome and better than Hayter). Kojima only said to please Americans, because it's well known that Kojima is an Americaphille.
Satsujinki

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:18 am Reply with quote
DomonX2 wrote:
...David Hayter's horrid Snake...

You are the first and only person I have seen say David Hayter's Snake is horrible.
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Please save the pseudoscience until you can find said 14 year olds who might be impressed with it because they don't know any better.

Actually, that train of thought arose from a discussion with a neighbour’s kid over the game, whose chief incentive in appropriating the game was to physically dismember people, so there’s at least one. ^^ In hindsight it was a little mean-spirited to attack certain demographics in such a wide-sweeping blow, so for that I apologise. I, myself (along with friends) had a short-lived fascination with visceral gore in media, so I’m not trying to raise myself up to be bigger & more morally upstanding than the standard gamer. At the same time, you shouldn’t completely disregard the points I’m trying to make because you feel it doesn’t apply to you. There’s no need to act churlish & accuse me of ‘pseudo-science’. These are merely thoughts & opinions of one person on a public forum. If either of us were so-called experts, we wouldn’t be talking about it it here. They are things that I feel deserve some form of discussion.

Quote:
This rhetoric reminds me of Jack Thompson. Anyone remember him? Had it out for Rockstar (Grand Theft Auto, Max Payne, etc.) way back when and tried to base his cases around school shootings and the perpetrators being gamers (if anyone's seen what Eric and Dylan from Columbine wrote about prior to the shooting, you'd know it wasn't Doom or Quake that pushed them over the edge). . He is a prime example of the definition of insanity.

To make it abundantly clear; I am not grossly offended by violence in video games. It has rarely disgusted me, made me angry, nor do I particularly believe it is corrupting our youth. If anything I have a level of indifference towards it, which is why I can’t help but feel much of the violence & gore often found in visual media, including games & anime, comes across as excessive padding designed to elicit a response that is now largely alien to me.

This certainly does not apply to every game. You can easily explain the aggression in a game like Spec Ops: The Line or parts of Far Cry 3, understand the tactical aspects of rpg’s like Valkyria Chronicles, or the encompassing dread & atmosphere created from the fear of death in Demon’s/Dark Souls. It becomes a little more problematic explaining the need to slice your opponent limb from limb in slow-motion in Revengeance, or have a quick-time event ripping out a Cyclops’ eyeball in God of War. For someone who truly feels no level of excitement for wanton violence, you surely can at least understand why people would see them as oddly excessive & unnecessary. If you have an answer that doesn’t at least partly involve bloodlust I would love to hear it. This is something that I’m rather curious about. Still, there’s no need to group me in with another individual, in a roundabout way to call me insane because you disregard the points I’m making.

Ultimately, I doubt I’ll ever stop playing games containing some measure of violence, at least partly because it is so prevalent in most non-indie/sports titles. I’m certainly not asking for every game to be Flower or Journey, but the fact that most of the triple-A releases do contain at least some level of aggression, from brawling to shooting, does at least warrant asking the question how necessary or healthy some of them are. I get this is question far beyond a mere forum discussion between a few people, but I don’t want to completely ignore it because the possible answers might not be particularly pleasant upon self-reflection. Attacking people isn’t exactly a staple of my real-life, so does it really have to be so over-encompassing in games? The answer of ‘stress-relief’ can surely only go so far.

Whatever, I personally thought my other point about the thematic tonal dissonance in the MGS series was a far more interesting topic to explore, rather than this tired argument again. As for Elfen Lied, I probably shouldn’t have probably included that as an example; after all, the gore was one of my least issues with it. Still, that’s a discussion I care about even less.
Satsujinki

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:29 pm Reply with quote
fathomlessblue wrote:
In hindsight it was a little mean-spirited to attack certain demographics in such a wide-sweeping blow, so for that I apologise.

I was of the mind to repeat myself until you said this:

fathomlessblue wrote:
At the same time, you shouldn’t completely disregard the points I’m trying to make because you feel it doesn’t apply to you.

Unless this is all just one big misunderstanding because you fail to articulate yourself properly (to disregard something would be to completely ignore it, which is what everyone else did and I should've done in hindsight) and I'm just taking offense to your unintended slippery slope mentality needlessly, then your apology is veiled sarcasm. The fact that you bother to use the word "churlish" to describe me adds a level of pretention that alludes to this belief.

fathomlessblue wrote:
They are things that I feel deserve some form of discussion.

Other people in this thread have adequately expressed confusion (and I responded to it), other people ask questions. Saying "masturbation fodder for testosterone filled 14 years olds & the type of adult who plays nothing but shooters every night" and "often the content exists solely satiate people with somewhat unhealthy bloodlusts" was neither confusion or a question.

fathomlessblue wrote:
...It becomes a little more problematic explaining the need to slice your opponent limb from limb in slow-motion in Revengeance...

It isn't necessary, it's optional. In fact, some events where the game prompts you for blade mode to dismember your opponent, you don't have to do anything. In fact, the game has an unlockable wooden katana that you can use to aid you in running through the game knocking all of the cyborgs unconscious IF you don't opt to play the game where you can sneak past enemy patrols that aren't forced upon you, and those that are forced upon you are very few comparatively.

fathomlessblue wrote:
For someone who truly feels no level of excitement for wanton violence, you surely can at least understand why people would see them as oddly excessive & unnecessary.

Trust me when I say that I am all too aware of the numerous amount of people that try to inject their ethics into a work of fiction and make some hackneyed correlation to whatever it is they have an issue with and the people who otherwise don't mind and/or enjoy it. Does that mean I should follow your example and say that horror flick aficionados have a latent desire to see dumb teenyboppers get brutally slaughtered? I could, but I guarantee that someone would call me out on it and I know better.

Funny enough, not only is this one of the reasons I began posting here, it is also a philosophical discussion that Raiden and Doktor have over the codec with regards to people's fascination with things of this nature, which may be more fourth-wall breaking that Kojima is famous for. In true Metal Gear fashion, the game is self aware.

fathomlessblue wrote:
...the fact that most of the triple-A releases do contain at least some level of aggression, from brawling to shooting, does at least warrant asking the question how necessary or healthy some of them are...

You know another theme that's touched upon in MGR? The cruelty of children and how they have a distinct approach to violence compared to adults. Raiden himself was a victim of conditioning as a war orphan, so several of the game's antagonists try to get him to question his motivations as a self-proclaimed "sword of justice" due to his checkered past as a prodigal murderer. It's a shame that you base your earlier opinion (not question) on a neighbor's child, who I would hardly use as representative of the general public for what should be seemingly obvious reasons.

But now I will gladly respond to your question since "stress-relief" doesn't exactly "cut it" (ohohoho~): as I've already expressed to someone else in this thread, Kojima and Inaba are two very impressive developers that have put out consistent hits in my eyes. I could go into a long spiel as to what kind of games they were or what I loved about them, but for the sake of time, getting a game they decided to work together on was a no brainer for me, plain and simple.

The violence doesn't surprise me or make me feel guilty, maybe because I went into it aware of the characters, setting, and developers working on it and the game itself is just that: a game; not real life. The game doesn't also force your hand into being a monster. Your actions are justified, as opposed to a game like Fable II where if you're OCD like me and must 100% that game, you need to play the part of an inhumane monster in the same playthrough. That was a turnoff. If there ever were a Street Fighter game that had fatalities like Mortal Kombat does, then I'd be shocked and appalled, as it is very out of place.

fathomlessblue wrote:
Whatever, I personally thought my other point about the thematic tonal dissonance in the MGS series was a far more interesting topic to explore, rather than this tired argument again.

The way the game turned out in the end, as someone else mentioned, is a result of this very argument remaining relevant. Certain places in the world have been accused of being very draconian in their laws lately, which has a ripple effect on everyone else so that they have to walk on eggshells they otherwise shouldn't. As a person that talks to people from all over the world, I always find it a shame that certain subjects are taboo simply because of the political beliefs forced upon them (communism) or their laws keeping them on a tight leash.

If you think this isn't topical, especially in the context of this game, then you might want to think about what you say before you put it into writing for people to see.

Last edited by Satsujinki on Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:47 pm Reply with quote
DomonX2 wrote:
Quote:

These western subsidiaries of Japanese companies are so stupid. They don't include the original audio for their games, instead they sync it, so the dialogue sounds natural and effectively screwing North Americans who PREFER the Japanese audio. Yeah, yeah, I know that games from MGS 2- were recorded/released in English first, but still. Japanese gamers, if they choose(not they ever would, due to David Hayter's horrid Snake) have the option to play the game in English audio, via special editions, so why can't I play the game in Japanese audio? I don't care if there is a rumor, that Kojima prefers the English versions. Snake IS better in Japanese and so is Raiden(though Flynn is still awesome and better than Hayter). Kojima only said to please Americans, because it's well known that Kojima is an Americaphille.

Or you know Kojima could actually love Metal Gear Solid's excellent english dubs. You are projecting your opinion on to other people such as claiming that Kojima only likes the english dub because he is an Americaphile (he likes certain parts of our culture sure, but the entire series has been critical of America's foreign policy)

If you like the Japanese version that's fine but dont act like your opinion is the true opinion of everyone else.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:30 pm Reply with quote
DomonX2 wrote:

Wow. You're seriously criticizing Hayter's Snake. What's next; bashing the Cowboy Bebop and FLCL dubs?
Satsujinki

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
...the entire series has been critical of America's foreign policy...

Truth. I also found it personally amusing how the Denver locals dropped the f-bomb compared to the other locations you were in. American stereotypes galore.

shamisen the great wrote:
What's next; bashing the Cowboy Bebop and FLCL dubs?

I actually have seen someone say they preferred CB's original track to the dub. My mind was blown. So that instance made someone really disliking David Hayter as Snake less shocking than it could've been.
Alunimus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:19 am Reply with quote
Quote:
bashing the Cowboy Bebop and FLCL dubs?
Missed the CB dub, but in FLCL's case I prefer original one. It sounds more... natural, maybe.

But in case of MGS I can't imagine Snake without Hayter's voice. Though I played the japanese version of first MGS and it sounded quite nice. Colonel has this typical japanese voice of wise old man and Snake sounds like MANLY MAN (he has Batou's voice, so 'nuff said). In my opinion both Hayter's and Otsuka's Snakes are awesome.
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Unless this is all just one big misunderstanding because you fail to articulate yourself properly (to disregard something would be to completely ignore it, which is what everyone else did and I should've done in hindsight) and I'm just taking offense to your unintended slippery slope mentality needlessly, then your apology is veiled sarcasm

I wrote that initial comment after being verbally abused elsewhere for merely asking about the levels of gore in the game as a whole, & it had an impact on what I said. Do I think that many people play heavily violent game out of a measure of bloodlust & aggression? Yeah, I do. I’ve encountered enough reactions in online games & forums to believe that’s a reasonable claim to make. Was my initial comment, made in anger, overly aggressive & insulting to players in general? Evidentially, which is why I tried to apologise, backtrack & provide a more measured response. I certainly could have been more articulate with that first comment & deserved to be called out on it, but you’re definitely reading into things that aren’t there with that ‘veiled sarcasm’ comment.

Quote:
The fact that you bother to use the word "churlish" to describe me adds a level of pretention that alludes to this belief.

Really now? That sounds more your issue than mine. Maybe if I quoted T. S. Elliot at you. Whatever, man. Whether I deserved to be confronted or not, your response was also rather prickly.

Quote:
It isn't necessary, it's optional. In fact, some events where the game prompts you for blade mode to dismember your opponent, you don't have to do anything. In fact, the game has an unlockable wooden katana that you can use to aid you in running through the game knocking all of the cyborgs unconscious IF you don't opt to play the game where you can sneak past enemy patrols that aren't forced upon you, and those that are forced upon you are very few comparatively.

That’s good to know & paints a more positive image than my impression of the demo. After all, I’ve always preferred playing the MGS in non-lethal stealth mode. At the same time, the slow motion slicing has been a prominent marketing tool since trailers started appearing back in 2010, & I’ve never seen any promotional material that failed to highlight it significantly. From presentation alone it comes across like I wouldn’t be experiencing the game at it was intended to be played or at least getting nearly as much out of it. The article itself mentions that cutting people & taking their spines counts as the game’s chief form of health replenishment, so it clearly means something. Again, the game was obviously designed for people who don’t have an issue with the level of gratuitousness in the content. That isn’t me, unfortunately.

Quote:
Funny enough, not only is this one of the reasons I began posting here, it is also a philosophical discussion that Raiden and Doktor have over the codec with regards to people's fascination with things of this nature, which may be more fourth-wall breaking that Kojima is famous for. In true Metal Gear fashion, the game is self aware.

You know another theme that's touched upon in MGR? The cruelty of children and how they have a distinct approach to violence compared to adults. Raiden himself was a victim of conditioning as a war orphan, so several of the game's antagonists try to get him to question his motivations as a self-proclaimed "sword of justice" due to his checkered past as a prodigal murderer. It's a shame that you base your earlier opinion (not question) on a neighbor's child, who I would hardly use as representative of the general public for what should be seemingly obvious reasons.

Cheers for the info, I’m glad there’s a measure of substance outside the action. I do play on playing through it eventually, if only out of my affection for the overall franchise.

Quote:
The way the game turned out in the end, as someone else mentioned, is a result of this very argument remaining relevant.

I should have explain that comment in more detail. Rather than feeling the argument is worthless, it does tend to spiral round & round, usually coming to similar conclusions. This discussion has been played out by so many people by now, & ends up in similar places. Ultimately, I get where you’re coming from with your arguments. I don’t necessarily agree, but I respect what you’re saying well enough. Maybe you've developed a similar reaction beyond my initial comment, but that’s your business. Nothing particularly changes with our stances. That’s why I plan to drop this now. This is beginning to feel as nearly as much an attack on my character as my feelings towards the issue of violence. Hopefully I clarified my stance a little better at least.
Satsujinki

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for stating your motivations and where your research comes from more clearly. Without really knowing you personally, I could only suspect the intent behind your words. Now I have no choice but to give you the benefit of the doubt.

But seriously, no one talks the way you do. Not anyone I've encountered, anyway, especially on these forums. I would like to wrap this up by addressing your concern about the game not being played the way it was intended, supposedly: the zandatsu mechanic this game introduces is groundbreaking for a game of this genre, so naturally this makes for good marketing to feature it heavily.

When the difficulty ramps up and enemies start coming at you in droves, zandatsu can actually do more harm than good by putting you in a bad position after the animation sequence ends. It is entirely possible to go through the campaign without taking any damage that you aren't forced to take due to a chapter-specific event (and when that happens, you'll get your health back in short order), so you won't be needing the electrolyte sacs in cyborgs at all - and if your health and/or fuel cells need recharging anyway, you can always cut open a Metal Gear or other purely autonomous monstrosity in case you suddenly feel like a horrible human being for cutting up a cyborg (who's trying to kill you and kill innocent civilians, by the way).

Lastly, to reiterate something I said earlier: I also suspect the zandatsu mechanic would please a lot of people who're into games like this in the first place and aren't easily squicked by violence in general, as opposed to necessarily wanting to sate some pathological desire kept in check which you've suggested (and assuming this game helps such people, it would seem counterproductive, to say the very least, to pull it from store shelves, wouldn't it?).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4