• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Sony Reveals PlayStation 4 Home Console

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
So, with no backwards compatibility, and the distinct lack of physical media being mentioned an indication that the rumors of this being download-only, this is an obvious no-buy for me.

Where did you hear that? Relax it's still a work in progress and why did they have to mention physical media? Isn't that obvious? Some people need to get over themselves.

Last edited by bleachj0j on Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:00 pm Reply with quote
bleachj0j wrote:
Dessa wrote:
So, with no backwards compatibility, and the distinct lack of physical media being mentioned an indication that the rumors of this being download-only, this is an obvious no-buy for me.

Where did you hear that? Relaz it's still a work in progress and why did they have to mention physical media? Isn't that obvious? Some people need to get over themselves.

Yeah, theres no way they are cutting out physical media yet. Blu Ray is still a strong Sony property and theres no reason they wouldn't want to sell PS4 as a Blu Ray player, especially since they want to make it a big media system.
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:03 pm Reply with quote
StrawHat313 wrote:
This is the 1st site I saw that is completely bashing the system. Did people forget that a feature that most people have wanted for a long time will be possible, watching a friend play a game and being able to comment with them. Also we got a Final Fantasy anticipation statement, Some mind blowing graphics, and a lot of games that at least 1 should be able to satisfy each person.

Most of the negative comments i see are mostly "the system didn't take my eyeballs out my eye sockets and code the game in my brain like I wanted." Seriously what else do you want it to do? Also they mentioned backwards compatibility CURRENTLY being researched via stream so that's been brought up also.

I'd say the ONLY problem I saw was the emphasis on social aspects of the system. My only gripe is that the system looks to social for me.

Because it was "Look, Generic FPS", "Look, a racing game and a lot of talk about fecking suede patterning!", "Look, a generic looking fantasy set up!". Also, there was very little gameplay shown. The majority of the videos were promotional videos, which would obviously have more attention given to them than actual gameplay.

Not to mention, Ubisoft trolled Sony by announcing Watch_Dogs for the 360 and Wii U the second the conference ended. I lost all current reason to buy a PS4 right there.

The ability to play games as they're downloading is a really cool one though.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

I'd say the ONLY problem I saw was the emphasis on social aspects of the system. My only gripe is that the system looks to social for me.
Because it was "Look, Generic FPS", "Look, a racing game and a lot of talk about fecking suede patterning!", "Look, a generic looking fantasy set up!". Also, there was very little gameplay shown. The majority of the videos were promotional videos, which would obviously have more attention given to them than actual gameplay.

Not to mention, Ubisoft trolled Sony by announcing Watch_Dogs for the 360 and Wii U the second the conference ended. I lost all current reason to buy a PS4 right there.

There was more to it than that. Killzone is a well established title for PlayStation. There also the new game Knack, Infamous, Blizzard porting Diablo. Plenty of good titles there. Not to mention you barely know what Watch Dogs is anyway. We've barely seen anything from that game. Besides a game like that on the PS4 will look much better than 360 or Wii U given the specs of the system already.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:14 pm Reply with quote
No look at the actual system itself? Too bad. And I'm glad Nippon Ichi and Koei Tecmo are on board! Even though Koei Tecmo America has been pissing me off to no end lately... I'll just buy the console in Japan.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:15 pm Reply with quote
no one else has said it yet??? The ps4 has no console.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
StrawHat313

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Ryu Shoji wrote:
StrawHat313 wrote:
This is the 1st site I saw that is completely bashing the system. Did people forget that a feature that most people have wanted for a long time will be possible, watching a friend play a game and being able to comment with them. Also we got a Final Fantasy anticipation statement, Some mind blowing graphics, and a lot of games that at least 1 should be able to satisfy each person.

Most of the negative comments i see are mostly "the system didn't take my eyeballs out my eye sockets and code the game in my brain like I wanted." Seriously what else do you want it to do? Also they mentioned backwards compatibility CURRENTLY being researched via stream so that's been brought up also.

Now that's a reaction i was looking for. I'm not expecting everyone to be hyped and jumping off the walls but i at least want people to admit that they saw 1 thing cool because their was enough to show. Even I thought that even though that fantasy game looks like Dragons Dogma I still have to admit that the graphics blew me away.

Do you really think this is bad graphics?

I didn't like every game there but I know there's at least 1 game that spiked people's interest until E3. Heck I'm excited by 2, Infamous Sons and Watch Dogs (which I'd prefer for PS4).
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Will it cause a nice price reduction in PS Trippels? I need another good BD player, I don't game whatsoever.
sainta

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:18 pm Reply with quote
So it doesn't read PS3 discs ._.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:20 pm Reply with quote
StrawHat313 wrote:
Ryu Shoji wrote:
StrawHat313 wrote:

Now that's a reaction i was looking for. I'm not expecting everyone to be hyped and jumping off the walls but i at least want people to admit that they saw 1 thing cool because their was enough to show. Even I thought that even though that fantasy game looks like Dragons Dogma I still have to admit that the graphics blew me away.

I didn't like every game there but I know there's at least 1 game that spiked people's interest until E3. Heck I'm excited by 2, Infamous Sons and Watch Dogs (which I'd prefer for PS4).

It's just a pre-rendered video that is doctored up. It's not the actual game-play footage or are we going to forget kill-zone 3 marketing tool in 06??

sainta wrote:

no it really doesn't, sony is dun goofed up to much.

Last edited by Cecilthedarkknight_234 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:20 pm Reply with quote
bleachj0j wrote:
Quote:

There was more to it than that. Killzone is a well established title for PlayStation. There also the new game Knack, Infamous, Blizzard porting Diablo. Plenty of good titles there. Not to mention you barely know what Watch Dogs is anyway. We've barely seen anything from that game. Besides a game like that on the PS4 will look much better than 360 or Wii U given the specs of the system already.

Knack looked really cool, as did Square Enix's little featurette, but I've never really cared for Killzone.

As for the PS4 looking better than the Wii U? Sure, it will. Will it offer me a unique gaming experience though? Probably not - the controller is pretty much a dual shock with a share button and move built in. We may have seen little of Watch_Dogs, but between E3 2012 and tonight's presentation, it does look like a really good game. Will I be willing to pay an estimated £300+ just to play a game where it will look better than a platform I already own though? No.

I probably will pick up a PlayStation 4 or NextBox at some point (once a lot of games that grab me come out). What we've seen of the hardware and the social features have impressed me, but of course, it's a gaming system so I'll wait until software that grabs me comes. Right now though, I'm content with my Wii U and a PS3 I'll soon buy to enjoy the back catalogue I missed.

Last edited by Ryu Shoji on Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:22 pm Reply with quote
http://www.siliconera.com/2013/02/20/playstation-4-specs-straight-from-sony/

Optical Drive (read only)

BD 6xCAV
DVD 8xCAV
---

So confirmed for physical media, so don't worry person I forgot the name of. It'll play physical games.
StrawHat313

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
StrawHat313 wrote:
Ryu Shoji wrote:
StrawHat313 wrote:

It's just a pre-rendered video that is doctored up. It's not the actual game-play footage or are we going to forget kill-zone 3 marketing tool in 06??

sainta wrote:

no it really doesn't, sony is dun goofed up to much.

I could try and find the gif in the part of the video where the guy stabs the dragon in the mouth and the sword is 4ft away from the dragon but still hits it. Now you may be correct and it's just a scene, but I don't think they'd show "here's a dragon fight and watch the sword completely miss the dragon but still hurt it."
Altacia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:27 pm Reply with quote
sainta wrote:

Crying or Very sad

That's how I feel too.
Demonic+Elemental

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:28 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
http://www.siliconera.com/2013/02/20/playstation-4-specs-straight-from-sony/

Optical Drive (read only)

BD 6xCAV
DVD 8xCAV
---

So confirmed for physical media, so don't worry person I forgot the name of. It'll play physical games.

That's great to hear. Thanks. I don't really care much for the "social gaming" trend, as long as I can still buy and play physical games for the PS4, that's good news for me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7