• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Translation Mitigation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:13 am Reply with quote
So the other reason Vertical has given for not continuing Guin Saga, is because Kurimoto-san's estate won't let them as well as "poor sales"? I don't suppose thoses "poor sales" had anything to do with them not promoting the series well enough, and said estate not very happy about that therefore not willing to continue with the licence? Thinking about how I discovered Guin Saga in the first place, which was by an article here about the manga release back in '07 and me researching the franchise after that perked my interest in the story to later find those novels at Amazon. It's not the usual route what the average potential novel reader is going to take to find it in the first place, is it?
Greg Aubry

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:33 am Reply with quote
Wish I'd seen the "frustrating bungle" question last week. One that STILL irks me to this day is ADV's dub of Macross, in which everyone except Mari Iijima, whom the company went at great lengths to bring on, mispronounces the name Macross as "muh-CROSS" instead of the correct "MEAH-cross" pronunciation established in the dubs for Robotech, Macross II and Macross Plus. (Even the DVD extra on this very release with Carl Macek's first pass at dubbing Macross has this right! How do you make such a fundamental botch?)
eyevocal

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:49 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
I have to say that I was pretty disturbed by the negative tone of that letter. It was completely over the top. I honestly don't understand the thought processes behind "I don't like this person that works at this company, so I will never buy anything from them ever, regardless of who works on it." There is a Funimation director that I've met personally (and worked with at a con as a volunteer) who I think is a total jack ass, and I don't particularly care for his work. In fact, I can think of only one decent dub he has ever done and even that had several of his trademark, lazy miscastings. However, I don't boycott the entirety of Funi's releases because he works there. That just seems so ass backward to me. I'm not going to refuse to buy something Jerry Jewel directs, just because they have another director that sucks. What's the purpose?

Perhaps I should have been a bit more specific. Well, that's what I get for writing my reply at 2 AM. While there is at least one company who I won't give any of my money to until we get some self-made-error fixing with a big side of public apology (hello, Viz), Sentai as a whole is not part of that. I'm upset by Foster's involvement with Penguindrum because he now seems to be infecting subtitles like a virus of stupidity. Here are two photos of the Blu-Ray playing, taken by Zac Bertschy from this very website and posted on his Twitter account:
http://i.imgur.com/7kKGa.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/pt6pJ.jpg
I'm a subbie. I have bought ADV and Sentai stuff Foster has blown his nose into because I won't be subjecting myself to those disgusting honks (although, if I ever meet him, I'll tell him that I want him to give me back the share of my money that he got). The only notable exception I've made there was for Ghost Stories; no way in Hell am I going to pay to set anime back 20 years. About the only way the above could have been made worse was making one character call another "fag," even though nothing like that happened in the original Japanese--y'know, something Foster did in Colorful. Now, I am going to be big enough to acknowledge that I may very well be wrong here. The wretched subtitles in those photos may not actually be Steven Foster's fault. If that turns out to be the case, I will offer my sincere apologies for accusing him of something he didn't do. After that, the person whose fault it actually is should be told to clear their desk at the same time as Foster is for the many things he DID do wrong. In the meanwhile, Sentai, unless you go back and fix up those subs, I will not be buying your releases of Penguindrum--and I know for a fact that I'm far from the only person who feels that way.

Other Enemies of Anime (and Manga): Trish Ledoux (who still doesn't have seem to have learned her lesson even after all this time, judging by her recent work); Gerald Jones (next time you repackage your early manga, Viz, maybe you can get people from this last decade to redo the adaptations to modern standards?); 4kids (and 4k all the fans who wanted a faithful representation of the anime they butchered); the people at Viz who thought--and sometimes still think--that censorship is anything other than just plain wrong (the biggest reason why I've boycotted them); the people who adapted Neo Ranga for ADV for the horrible translation; Mike Bailiff of ADV/Sentai for stripping on-disc extras off for almost all of ADV's Thinpak boxes, and not restoring them for Sentai reissues ("rewarding early buyers" should not be the same as "punish the rest of them"); Keith Giffen (the only good thing about Tokyopop going under was losing him); Peter and Kathleen O'Shea David for their wholesale rewriting of the first volumes of the Negima! manga (thankfully since fixed up by the Nibley twins for the Kodansha re-releases; awaiting their repair of the damage Trish did to it later). A pox of no longer working in the anime and manga industries on the lot of them.

Watson.

Last edited by eyevocal on Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Dear mercy, with an enemies list like that you're virtually Otaku Richard Nixon. I still remember you huffing and puffing and stomping you feet in the discussion thread for the ANNCast with Richard Flanagan, damned near bullying him into an apology over some ultimately pretty piddling and forgivable stuff.

I can't imagine that kind of hanging onto grudges for dear life with disproportionate intensity is good for you, anime fans or anybody. I find it one of the most unpleasant facets of anime and manga fans.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
aoi yuuki fanboy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, I just have to say this because this is the second answerman in a row about haruhi and its getting on my nerves. The reason to not make a third season is because no one wants to hire aya hirano as a va anymore. After her sex scandal about 4 yrs ago, she stopped voice acting. No anime is going to continue while changing the main leads voice. I dont know why brian says things like "the staff have moved on", instead of getting to the point.
eyevocal

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
Dear mercy, with an enemies list like that you're virtually Otaku Richard Nixon. I still remember you huffing and puffing and stomping you feet in the discussion thread for the ANNCast with Richard Flanagan, damned near bullying him into an apology over some ultimately pretty piddling and forgivable stuff.

Did you read or watch Viz's versions of Video Girl Ai, in manga, dub *or* sub form? It most certainly wasn't "piddling." I'll leave it at that.
Surrender Artist wrote:
I can't imagine that kind of hanging onto grudges for dear life with disproportionate intensity is good for you, anime fans or anybody. I find it one of the most unpleasant facets of anime and manga fans.

If it'll stop companies from screwing up these ways ever again, then it's good. Holding the companies' feet to the fire has made the fan's lot much better overall in recent times, but there is always room for further improvement.
eyevocal

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:49 pm Reply with quote
aoi yuuki fanboy wrote:
Sorry, I just have to say this because this is the second answerman in a row about haruhi and its getting on my nerves. The reason to not make a third season is because no one wants to hire aya hirano as a va anymore. After her sex scandal about 4 yrs ago, she stopped voice acting. No anime is going to continue while changing the main leads voice. I don't know why brian says things like "the staff have moved on", instead of getting to the point.

Probably because she actually is still voice acting. Not a bad slate for 2012:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aya_Hirano#Anime_roles
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Those were mostly short roles or things that otaku don't watch and thus won't care about if she's cast or not. And her GuP role was to play an oppressive and neurotic tank commander, but she's not going to get any lead roles or big parts any time soon.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Hirano hasn't done anything notable since Katja, which was in production when her scandal broke. she's done doing any meaningful otaku roles, thats for sure.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:48 pm Reply with quote
eyevocal wrote:

Probably because she actually is still voice acting. Not a bad slate for 2012:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aya_Hirano#Anime_roles

She'll get main character work in kids shows like Jewelpet and Fairy Tail, but her otaku anime career is pretty much over unfortunately outside a few bit roles I imagine.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:55 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
meaningful otaku roles

Kind of an oxymoron.

I'm sure she'll return as Dende in Dragon Ball Z Kai and/or Battle of the Gods, though!

(I actually hope she does.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:26 am Reply with quote
On the subject of crowd funding in Japan, see:

Nakata, Hiroko (16 April 2013). "'CROWD FUNDING': Startups find there’s financing in numbers. The Japan Times. Weekly FYI.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3