• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Howl's Box Office

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hi no Neko

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:39 pm Reply with quote
The Yu-Gi-Oh movie made more money than the third Pokemon movie? Huh.

Anyways, four million bucks . . . that's pretty good. Not as good as Spirited Away, but if I recall correctly, that movie was still playing after the Academy Awards, at least for a while. (Which I hear is pretty good publicity for a movie.)
kyagami

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:56 pm Reply with quote
...good show but earned low Confused
.Sy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Yep, YGO had/has its huge fanbase. My younger brother and his friend decided to go see it, and I snatched the oppurtunity to go and chaperone them. (In case anyone asked, I had an excuse.) The movie was horrible, yet it did lots better than Howl's. -_- It surpises me how popular Pokemon was, I got into anime much later.
Proman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Let's not forget that the Yu-Gi-Oh movie had a much wider release than "Howl's Moving Castle" did.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Hi no Neko wrote:
Anyways, four million bucks . . . that's pretty good. Not as good as Spirited Away, but if I recall correctly, that movie was still playing after the Academy Awards, at least for a while. (Which I hear is pretty good publicity for a movie.)

Spirited Away received a limited release at first, very much like the one that Howl's Moving Castle is getting right now.

And then after it won the Oscar it was increased to 800 theaters.

Sprited Away broke $5 million on its 5th weekend of its limited theatrical release.

Howl's Moving Castle is sitting around 3.8 million right now, with earnings of $600,000 in the past week. So there's a chance it could break 5 million in 3 weeks, like Spirited Away. But with its earnings and theater count decreasing each weekend, it's not something I'd bet on.

-t
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:51 pm Reply with quote
To be fair, Yu Gi Oh did offer free cards. But as I said earlier, Disney should've probably come up with a deal where you buy one of the Ghibli dvds and get a free ticket to Howl.
BlaqNumbr9

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:57 pm Reply with quote
I think anytime an anime movie comes to the theaters, we should all go and support it for the sake of the greater good. The more these movies make, the more come over. It's simple.

Now, if I could just take my own advice, that would be great. I haven't seen any of them except GITS: Innocence in the theater. *sign* Hypocracy, oh hypocracy....
imaramman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:32 am Reply with quote
Well... I've seen...

The first Pokemon movie (I have a younger brother)
And the second one, which became my (and I believe his) limit
Metropolis
Spirited Away
Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence

and my personal favorite:

Cowboy Bebop: Knockin' on Heaven's Door

... in theaters. So I'm doing my fair share. Anime smile

I would see more if they would get better releases. Rolling Eyes Honestly I thought Disney had learned its lesson with Spirited Away being somewhat successful (for what it's worth despite their general lack of support), critically acclaimed, and oscar winning. Maybe if they had freaking trailers in front of wide releases in multiplexes rather than solely at "art-house" theaters -- though I personally haven't seen any there either -- and if they put up posters, they wouldn't be "gambling" with a wide release. I'll never understand how Disney can turn away the theoretically massive returns they could be making, seeing that they are such a corporate whore-y company at this point. They've already paid for the rights. Why not use them for a change?

I'm going to see Howl's on Thursday hopefully. Anime smile
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:37 am Reply with quote
BlaqNumbr9 wrote:
I think anytime an anime movie comes to the theaters, we should all go and support it for the sake of the greater good. The more these movies make, the more come over. It's simple.

You're absolutely right. But I don't think supporting the next Digimon, will increase the chance of seeing Shinichiro Watanabe's next movie in theaters.

We all know that anime isn't a genre, but for the sake of this conversation, we need to divide anime into two distict genres. anime for adults (& teens) and anime for children.

The anime for children category doesn't need any theatrical help, and it doesn't help the anime for adults category.

Which is good, because no matter how much I want to see good anime in theaters, I don't think I could drag myself to watch the next Pokemon movie.

Oh, and I've seen the following movies during theatrical release:

Spirited Away
Howl's Moving Castle
Metropolis
Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence
Steamboy
Tokyo Godfathers
Urotsukidoji (yes, I saw this during its 1994 theatrical run)

I've seen the following anime in theaters during festival runs or festival presentations:

Jin-Roh
Perfect Blue
Metropolis
Ghost in the Shell
X/1999
Escaflowne: The Movie
Millennium Actress
Angel's Egg
Sky Blue (Korean)
Spriggan
Vampire Hunter D: Blood Lust
Blood: The Last Vampire

That's all.

-t
psychotronx

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:07 am Reply with quote
Any news when "Howl's Moving Castle" will be released on DVD?
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:27 am Reply with quote
Back in the early to mid 90's I saw the Streamline dubs of Wicked City, Neo Tokyo, Silent Mobius the movie, the Streamline sub of Cagliostro and the CPM dub of Roujin Z in theaters. (I was too young to see Urotsukidoji in theaters, back then, although I was aware of its existence.) In the late 90's, early 00's, I saw Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away(the latter with Miyazaki), the Manga dub of Perfect Blue, X, the subbed versions of Spriggan and Laputa at AFI as well as Millennium Actress(with Kon), Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust, Blood, the Geneon dub of Akira, Metropolis, Cowboy Bebop the Movie, Tokyo Godfathers at BAAF as well as Nasu(with Maruyama) and the Initial D "movie" from Tokyopop(with Ren Usami). I also recently caught Howl, Steamboy(dubbed and subbed) Dead Leaves, Appleseed and the Takahata-presented triple feature of Pom Poko, Yamadas, and Only Yesterday. And I saw that psychedelic cat flick. Oh yes, and Cat Returns with the producers in attendance. And it probably doesn't count, but when I saw the second to last MechaGodzilla movie, I asked which anime he was inspired by when he came up with the latest variation, and he replied, "I have not seen Evangelion."
imaramman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Back in the early to mid 90's I saw the Streamline dubs of Wicked City, Neo Tokyo, Silent Mobius the movie, the Streamline sub of Cagliostro and the CPM dub of Roujin Z in theaters.

Man... what I would do to have seen Cagliostro in theaters...
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:21 pm Reply with quote
It was great the first time I saw it, but looking at it now, the Streamline print is pretty grainy and uses safe names like "The Wolf" and "The Samurai" to avoid lawsuits.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1