• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Kyo Kara Muyo

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SnowfairyX

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:15 am Reply with quote
I already started collecting Shadow Star: Narutaru because of some people hailing it as the most disturbing series that they've ever seen. It has somewhat mixed reviews and is probably a little uneven throughout, but I think the relevant reviews I've read were more good than bad.

I was surprised that Bamboo deemed the first volume as shelf worthy because I've heard that many people thought that the first half of the series was not that great. So far, I've only gone through the first two episodes. The first episode was a little boring but the second episode was more interesting and a little creepy. I'll be taking my time with this series as with most of my anime and be picking up the rest of the volumes as soon as I see them on store shelves.

And I'll definitely be picking up The Place Promised In Our Early Days also. I think Voices of a Distant Star is a masterpiece so I'm also interested in what this same director has to offer in this movie.

I also have the first volume with the artbox for Gunslinger Girl. Funimation did everything right in getting me to pick up this series. They made a very nice, sturdy-looking artbox that is limited and made the series only three volumes long so then it's easier on the wallet. If it weren't for those conditions, I might not have picked it up even with the excellent reviews. The first two episodes were pretty good so far.
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:15 am Reply with quote
Angel Of Death wrote:
Well now I know that Kyo Kara Maoh isn't for me.

Flushed down a TOILET??? Excuse my language, but fudge that.

Um...you've now snapped to judgement on a 52-episode (more?) series based off the description of a five-minute incident in the first episode. *VERY* smart.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Angel Of Death

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:55 am Reply with quote
CorneredAngel wrote:
Angel Of Death wrote:

Um...you've now snapped to judgement on a 52-episode (more?) series based off the description of a five-minute incident in the first episode. *VERY* smart.

Sorry, but it's how I evaluate things. I don't really like a whole bunch of silliness in my anime and stuff like that will sour me for a long time.

I'm not saying I'm opposed to comedy...just as long as there's a healthy dose of drama in there to balance it (like Fruits Basket).
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:05 am Reply with quote
Angel Of Death wrote:

It's not as absurd as it sounds, really. Some kids were beating him up and wanted to give him a swirly. Only, he gets flushed into another world. It's like Fushigi Yuugi, only instead of a book, it's a toilet ;p Though I guess if you don't like silliness in your anime, you might not like KKM anyway, because it has its fill of silliness and goofiness.

wyvern wrote:

So if the Maburaho kid's magic is really weak, why would anyone want his genes?

Heh, see, his ancestors are all really great and powerful magicians, but no one in his immediate family is all that. So everyone conjectures that all the powerful genes have focused themselves in Kazuki, and his kid will be one of the most powerful magicians ever. I assume they're all wanting to jump him now before he withers away or something.

biliano wrote:

I'll check out Place Promise sometime in the near future, but like I mentioned before, I'm not much of a movie watcher so it's not high on my viewing list.

Wink Some of the best pieces of anime out there are movies. You'd be missing out if you put movies at the bottom of your list, including Voices of a Distant Star and Place Promised. Surely you can spare 90 minutes of your life to see it. Very Happy

Thanks for all your comments!
Kalium

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:04 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
I assume they're all wanting to jump him now before he withers away or something.

Let's just call that... a very appropriate choice of words.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:43 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
The manga (currently being released by Dark Horse) should fix the disapearing characters and unresolved plot of the anime.

Well, I would be more surprised if Dark Horse can continue releasing tankoubon beyond volume 6 without editing out spoiler[THE most gruesome scene I've seen in any manga other than 18+ titles]. The French licensor had stopped due to that, and from what I've learned the German licensor had made some ridiculous editing trying to tone the picture down. However, I'd say volume 9 has one of the best story I've read in manga, combining spoiler[supernatural fantasy, science fiction, military, and dramatic moments] in a seamless manner.

Still waiting volume 10 here... Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:00 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Faceman wrote:
Not to be picky at all, but is Ah! My Goddess really a harem anime? There are only 4 female characters really. The main dude isn't a pushover, just polite and considerate. There is a distinct relationship between Kei and Belldandy, and everyone knows it. Two of the other three women, Urd and Megumi, are pushing for Belldandy and Kei's relationship. The fourth, Skuld, is against it because she's afraid of loosing Belldandy to him. I know it's easy to classify it as a Harem Anime because of the proportion of male to female characters, but I really don't see it as one.

I don't think harem shows have to have all them women fawning over one guy. I've always just considered them to be shounen shows that have one guy + multiple women in close quarters as the main characters. I put Ah! My Goddess there and listed it as a harem anime because I really think Tenchi and AMG really started the whole multiple girls + 1 guy thing. Tenchi had a huge hand in shaping modern harem shows, but AMG was one of the first several hugely popular, international titles that used that gender ratio and had multiple women living under one roof.

I mean, Love Hina only had one character who had a clearly defined "interest" in Keitaro, but that's still a harem title, just because there's a harem of women, who aren't necessarily all fawning over the same guy.

But I do see your point, and I think you're right. I'll reword it a bit; thanks for pointing that out.
Does El Hazard ring any familiar notes? And by your definition, which I too find too broad "Bubble Gum Crisis" could then be a "harem" anime. Tenchi has 5, possibly 6, different females in love with him, and want to get him in the sack, but he shows no interest in any of them, (at least not apparently). Keichi and Belldandy are in love with each other no mistake. Urd wants K1 and Bell in the sack, but not her. Sculd wants K1 to leave Belldandy alone so she and Bell can go back to heaven together. Definently no love interest there at all. Urd and Sculd are her sisters and any interest by K1 in them as well is just too perverted to think about and Bell would leave him flat if she ever found out therefore end of story. Anime hyper Besides K1 wishes they could just go back to heaven and leave him and Bell alone for a change. "Tenchi Muyo" and "Ah My Goddess" are like chalk and cheese. They both look the same until you take a bite. Wink
Kalium

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Keichi and Belldandy are in love with each other no mistake. Urd wants K1 and Bell in the sack, but not her. Sculd wants K1 to leave Belldandy alone so she and Bell can go back to heaven together. Definently no love interest there at all. Urd and Sculd are her sisters and any interest by K1 in them as well is just too perverted to think about and Bell would leave him flat if she ever found out therefore end of story. Anime hyper Besides K1 wishes they could just go back to heaven and leave him and Bell alone for a change. "Tenchi Muyo" and "Ah My Goddess" are like chalk and cheese. They both look the same until you take a bite. Wink

This, of course, is all before spoiler[Peorth gets thrown into the mix or all the love potion misadventures].
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Shiki MSHTS wrote:

Narutaru... I've heard very strange things about it. Is it like... depressing on a psychological level, in which it makes you think about life in a pessimistic manner? Or depressing in that it just like, shoots all the characters emotionally down to hell?

Eh, both, I'd say. It's depressing to think that kids are capable of such things and the characters are emotionally shot to hell as well.

Quote:
I usually tend to like to stay with the cute, fluffy, romatic, and comedic, but I usually try something slightly different every now and then. I'm just wondering if it's like... super worth checking out.

Narutaru is more than 'slightly different.' The opening is the only part of the show that is 'cute, fluffy... and comedic.' The show stops being remotely cute after about the fourth episode.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Kalium wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Keichi and Belldandy are in love with each other no mistake. Urd wants K1 and Bell in the sack, but not her. Sculd wants K1 to leave Belldandy alone so she and Bell can go back to heaven together. Definently no love interest there at all. Urd and Sculd are her sisters and any interest by K1 in them as well is just too perverted to think about and Bell would leave him flat if she ever found out therefore end of story. Anime hyper Besides K1 wishes they could just go back to heaven and leave him and Bell alone for a change. "Tenchi Muyo" and "Ah My Goddess" are like chalk and cheese. They both look the same until you take a bite. Wink

This, of course, is all before spoiler[Peorth gets thrown into the mix or all the love potion misadventures].
spoiler[Peorth's involvement was just a misunderstanding to begin with, and once that was cleared up she didn't pull a Mihoshi and stick around for no other reason then to be just another girl in the group. She went back to the "office". And the love potions were again Urd trying to get K1 and Bell closer together.]
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:35 pm Reply with quote
When Did Narutaru get licenesed?
.Sy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:47 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
When Did Narutaru get licenesed?
A while ago. (2004-11-29) It's in the encyclopedia, y'know.
Kalium

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Kalium wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

spoiler[Peorth's involvement was just a misunderstanding to begin with, and once that was cleared up she didn't pull a Mihoshi and stick around for no other reason then to be just another girl in the group. She went back to the "office". And the love potions were again Urd trying to get K1 and Bell closer together.]

Well... spoiler[there's the whole bit where she shows up again later, just kind of because. Peorth had at it with the love potions, too, as I recall.]
cmthomas

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:12 am Reply with quote
A few questions about the Kumo no Mukou (The Place Promised in our Early Days) DVD, if you'll indulge me.
I was fortunate enough to see a fansub of The Place Promised in our Early Days before it got licensed, and, aside from a few minor quibbles, was very pleased with the quality. What's the sub work like on the DVD release, as well as the English dub track? I haven't seen Voices of a Distant Star yet, but I hear it was pretty badly butchered (i.e. Fosterized); no such problem with this Shinkai OAV?
Finally, what are the extras like? Are the four interviews particularly good?
I'm sure you all know the feeling of buying a recently-imported favorite anime (OAV or otherwise), and being brought to tears by a poor localization effort; and I don't want a sour taste put in my mouth with this one.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:55 am Reply with quote
cmthomas wrote:
A few questions about the Kumo no Mukou (The Place Promised in our Early Days) DVD, if you'll indulge me.
I was fortunate enough to see a fansub of The Place Promised in our Early Days before it got licensed, and, aside from a few minor quibbles, was very pleased with the quality. What's the sub work like on the DVD release, as well as the English dub track? I haven't seen Voices of a Distant Star yet, but I hear it was pretty badly butchered (i.e. Fosterized); no such problem with this Shinkai OAV?
Finally, what are the extras like? Are the four interviews particularly good?
I'm sure you all know the feeling of buying a recently-imported favorite anime (OAV or otherwise), and being brought to tears by a poor localization effort; and I don't want a sour taste put in my mouth with this one.

Actually, I haven't watched the dub yet, or look at the extras. (Though the dub was yet again done by Foster, ugh.) If no one's answered this by the end of the day, I'll check them out as soon as I get home from work.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4