• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Bro-takon

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:38 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
However, I will now stop complaining about the subject, as I've made my point amply. Until the next Otakon.

That was 4 responses ago. Let it go dude, just let it go. But chances are you'll keep whining and crying about it. It's not like this is the first thread you've done this in.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:46 am Reply with quote
I would have stopped, but folks keep thinking they have me cornered with their flawed logic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:09 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I would have stopped, but folks keep thinking they have me cornered with their flawed logic.

No, the flawed logic is all yours so far, as usual. Your soapboxing on this is done though. If you continue to derail any thread even mentioning the con with your misguided agenda then you're just not going to be allowed to post in con related threads period, and we'll place you under moderation to be sure of it if necessary.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cowboy Dev

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:39 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

No, the flawed logic is all yours so far, as usual. Your soapboxing on this is done though. If you continue to derail any thread even mentioning the con with your misguided agenda then you're just not going to be allowed to post in con related threads period, and we'll place you under moderation to be sure of it if necessary.

So, he's derailing a tread about Otakon by... Discussing Otakon?

Just...

Wow indeed.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:48 am Reply with quote
Cowboy Dev wrote:
Keonyn wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

So, he's derailing a tread about Otakon by... Discussing Otakon?

Just...

Wow indeed.

No, he's doing what he always does, going off on a tangent about the same thing over and over in every thread that so much as mentions Otakon. We don't need every single thread about the con to be about Penguintruths pet rantings about the event.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yamiangie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:18 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:

You want a disorganized con, you should try NYCC. Yeeep. I am soooo very lucky I managed to met and get Moyocco Anno's autograph, and only because someone with Vertical realized that none of the real fans who showed up at her panel had gotten the autograph tickets. Sadly couldn't get Anne Rice's, and I don't want to even try recalling how long I stood in that line for nothing. In the end it's just a gamble you play with at conventions.

I remember from word on the floor last year NYCC they gave out the autograph tickets at like 6 am. I can very much picture people grabbing anything they could get there hands on.

Also thank you very much for asking my question on air. I enjoyed the elaboration on why Las Vegas and about convention saturation in areas of the U.S.
Nocturne123

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:17 pm Reply with quote
I absolutely LOVE Otakon, but this statement goes for all cons in general. If they became generic internet cons or meme cons, I would stop going altogether.

I actually mostly hate internet culture.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Nocturne123 wrote:
I absolutely LOVE Otakon, but this statement goes for all cons in general. If they became generic internet cons or meme cons, I would stop going altogether.

Memes are trendy these days, even TV shows are starting to use them to seem hip and cool. "Nerd" culture in general seems to the current Hollywood trend with the success of Big Bang Theory and "reality" shows like King of the Nerds.
Sleverin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:35 am Reply with quote
Nocturne123 wrote:

Also to TitanXL in that I agree on both fronts. There's a lot of stuff that surrounds internet culture that drives me nuts (excessive Twitter, stupid Youtube videos, etc.) and I would hate to see cons go in that direction. There's never a problem with cross pollenation of course, the last animecon I went to had a damn good Captain Jack Sparrow cosplayer (even had his own pirate license and the swagger down) and one guy who did a great job as the...hero? from Tangled (never saw the movie I had to be told what he was doing). But if it devolves into "LOLCATS" and "PEDOBEAR FTW" being shouted constantly, my God, you can give that back to the pit where it came from.

@TitanXL It's nice to see that nerdy/geeky culture has become more of an okay thing now that I'm an adult. Growing up I, and my friends, were considered odd by a lot of folks for liking stuff like Dungeons and Dragons and playing a lot of videogames. Hell, I used to be really weird about telling girls I'm interested in about some of the stuff I like because people drilled into me that it was just something you can't tell girls because you'll instantly get dropped. Nowadays it's nice that I can say, "Well, yeah it's an action figure with a big sword and a motorcycle, why don't I have ten of those?" The converse however is stuff like Big Bang Theory and King of the Nerds (among some other things like documentaries aimed at recording "nerdy" stuff) reinforces the negative stereotypes associated more along the lines of Japanese "otaku" level fandom than just really liking comic books or enjoying a lot of aspects of science fiction. It'll implode on itself at some point though, they'll find that the mine only has so many "LOLCATS THEYRE AWKWARD" jokes before it just goes away.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm not so sure about that. The nerd the media is obsessed with isn't really the kind who got picked on or outcast in high school for their interests or hobbies, they tend to be the more trendy people who want you to follow them on Twitter, Reddit, and Tumblr. I mean, the poster nerd for King of the Nerds is a young, fit, cute college girl with pink hair who's main nerd credentials are liking My Little Pony and playing World of Warcraft.. and she also posed in Maxim. It's a far cry from the average person, but I suppose that's what reality TV is about.

You can pretty much see the same thing as this happening at ComicCon, only worse because they actually do welcome outside content with open arms in favor of comics. Panels about movies like The Expendables 2, Django, or Twilight, or TV shows like Community and Breaking Bad have pretty much taken over. At least the panels about upcoming Marvel/DC live-action movies kind of make sense, but they still do better than panels about the actual comics. Though I imagine if they kicked out everything except comics the attendance for that would plummet severely.
jvowles
Otakon Representative

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Regarding the genericness of some cons: as I said on the show, that's fine; every event has its own identity and purpose.

When in doubt, look at the reason you exist; Otakon exists to celebrate Asian pop culture and use it as a gateway to learning more about Asian culture. There's room for stuff around the edges, so long as the focus remains where it belongs. For us, our structure keeps us on target.

Apparently Zac and I sound a lot alike on the podcast, with my voice a bit more hoarse and Zac's a bit more nasal, according to one observer.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Got 2 questions about the Otakon Vegas FAQ:
Quote:
Why Las Vegas? Can’t you do this somewhere closer to the east coast?
Holding an event in Las Vegas offers us a chance to pursue our mission out west, and gives our far-flung membership more opportunities to participate in Otakon-style events.
As we all know, there are already many anime cons of varying sizes on the West Coast, and as the FAQ points out, at least 2 in the Vegas vicinity. So it seems that the only thing setting Otakon Vegas apart from these other worthies is its "style", so I ask: What is "Otakon-style"?
Quote:
If I register for an Otakorp Membership in 2013, does that let me attend Otakon Vegas too?

Not quite. Current members of Otakorp, Inc. have early access to discounted weekend tickets to Otakon Vegas at a special members-only price. This will make it possible for Otakorp members to attend two different conventions for less than $100.
I've already inveighed a bit about how illogical this "double membership" concept is, but I would like to know more about the justification given here as it is pretty wild. Specifically, if I'm going to attend 2 cons that are several months apart, several thousand miles distant from each other and held in fairly expensive locales, why does Otakon think that I'd be concerned about being able to get into both with only a Benjamin?
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:35 pm Reply with quote
I would totally be down with ELO at Otakon. How about we get Yes at ACEN?
Sleverin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:11 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
I mean, the poster nerd for King of the Nerds is a young, fit, cute college girl with pink hair who's main nerd credentials are liking My Little Pony and playing World of Warcraft.. and she also posed in Maxim. It's a far cry from the average person, but I suppose that's what reality TV is about.

Holy God really? I can't bring myself to watch that show so I wouldn't know. I was talking more along the lines of just general exposure though, but I didn't quite make it that clear. There was a great side by side image if "Gamer Gurl" which was almost word for word your description alongside the girl playing an fps yelling at her screen in a foul and humorous manner, which is a good description of some of my friends. Honestly, I thought the media was more focused on the more...uh, "quirky" among us. That's what I was thinking anyway.
Cheesecracker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:15 am Reply with quote
Experimental content?

Cirque du Sol'anime anyone?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3