• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New DVD Set Releases

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cyrax777

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:52 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
tiredgamer wrote:
Samurai Deeper Kyo... Season 1? That seems to imply a Season 2... Anime smallmouth

I thought that was a bit odd myself.
they did the same thing with Beserk and started a massive floods of ZOMG is there gonna be a berserk season 2 flood on practly every anime forum.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:59 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
There's more Sakura Diaries coming out? How did I never hear about this? Or is this just DVD 1 of the collectors' edition, AKA the first six episodes.

This new release is the collectors edition with a new dub.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:34 am Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Isaaru wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:
Isaaru wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:
Whoo hoo!!! 'Lunar Legend Tsukihime' boxset!!! Yay!! Very Happy Very Happy

Yay, but at 89.95? Its only 12 episodes.

...which is released in 3 DVDs with 4 episodes each with each DVD costing $29.99. Makes sense. Rolling Eyes

Yeah, it makes sense. But look at the other stuff that ADV is selling (which hurts Geneon when advertised in the same news article). Magical Shopping Arcade and Angelic layer= all 26 eps for 49.95 each. Perhaps what really threw me off in thinking Tsukihime isnt a good deal was buying the first 2 seasons of Knight Rider at nearly the same price at full retail (which I did). What happened to competition?

I guess if we shell out money for buying the whole series shouldn't we get some kind of deal?

Actually it doesn't matter because what's probably going to happen is that they'll either release it again as a compilation and it will cost less. Actually, since they are saying thinpak, I would figure that it would be cheapter. It says boxset, but I read somewhere else that it says "thinpak". Oh, on TRSI they are selling it for $67. But I can beat that. Deepdiscountdvd.com sells things for less than that.

In time they will be dropping the price anyway. It's not like the series was flying off the shelf. I liked it though and I'm going to get it.

You're comparing apples & oranges.
I loved MSAA & the manga for Azumanga Daioh, but the anime for Azumanga didn't do much for me(bought it for my daughter). They're comedy.
I bought Tsukihime-it was excellent. So was Requiem From the Darkness(My 14 yr old loved that one. I couldn't get her into Tsukihime) I think they're also boxing Requiem. I have that other limited box they claimed very quickly that they sold out of, (she wants her own, so she was perturbed) so I'm interested in seeing if this one is that same sold out box. Pioneer doesn't really do extras.
If you want a hamburger, you're not going to really be happy with a PBJ. If you want to watch a really cool horror title, why would you settle for a comedy just because it's half the price? Wait for TRSI to have one of their 1/3rd off sales(like just ran thru 7/10), plus an additional 10% off with their discount & that $90 you're whining about becomes $54. Geneon sales seem to pop up a bit more often-closer to every 6 mos. ADV will likely be on sale around October/November. They're due for sales on Bandai & Funimation--the next sale just might be one of those 2 labels

I saw that SDK-I'm assuming they're leaving room for another series. The anime was made pretty early in the manga run, although I'd think a 2nd run might stick closer to the manga.
Yes, there was a $150 set-MediaBlasters, like CPM often price drops every couple yrs

ADV's usual is 6 dvds on a full season, 4 on a 13 ep series. They go 7 on certain titles(ones they think they can as far as I can tell) On the other hand, they sometimes put 13 eps out on 3 dvds. MediaBlasters does stuff like that more often-3 for 13 eps. The feel I get off Geneon is they're like the American face of a Japanese company, so their attitude is more like in Japan(They're giving us more eps than the Japanese dvds for less money--we want extras?) ADV thinks of the consumer to a point, but they have an eye on the profit(They've done way more 6 dvd seasons compared to Pioneer finally moving from 8 dvds-Trigun, Gatekeepers-to 7. Last Comiccon Geneon was bragging they were releasing Samurai Champaloo 6 dvds so I asked about Saiyuki Reload-they had no info on Reload. Sure enough, they're hitting us fangirls up for 7 dvds) MediaBlasters seem like the guys at the swap meet selling stuff-they may not know a thing about the title, but they keep an eye on cutting the consumer a good deal to keep us coming back--here's the title, plus the Japanese extras-enjoy! What? We've had this title sitting around for a year or 2? Drop the price! I prefer MediaBlasters, then ADV of these 3. Geneon I don't really think about. They're professional, but it's a cold business attitude--product delivered for money agreed upon, but don't be looking for any baker's dozens.
TiredGamer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:05 pm Reply with quote
cyrax777 wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:
tiredgamer wrote:
Samurai Deeper Kyo... Season 1? That seems to imply a Season 2...

I thought that was a bit odd myself.

they did the same thing with Beserk and started a massive floods of ZOMG is there gonna be a berserk season 2 flood on practly every anime forum.

Poor Rebecca... I guess she better prepare a canned "There will be no season two of SDK leavemealone" response while there's still time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2