• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 6 Anime Projects That Never Took Off

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zump

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Appleseed: Genesis getting canceled is actually a blessing in disguise, seeing as how Romanov Higa, who was up for the position of series director, is a horrible director. For those of you who don't know, he was the man who gave us Cat Blue Dynamite and TANK S.W.A.T. 01, both of which featured some of the worst CGI to come out of Japan.

I would have liked to have seen more of Lupin VIII, despite being toned down from the source material for a younger audience.
Alunimus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I never thought that t.A.t.u was known outside of Russia.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Alunimus wrote:
Wow, I never thought that t.A.t.u was known outside of Russia.

They became pretty well known with All the Things She Said, which got heavy radio & TV play & was even used by WWE as the first entrance theme for Victoria when she debuted in the company. The whole controversy behind their image also just helped give them publicity.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Appleseed XIII only had three episodes released (out of a dozen) before the whole project went under in a cloud of bankruptcy. Seriously, the release schedule was one of the most incompetent I have ever seen attempted. Add in the mo-cap technology and it was an inevitable failure. So we didn't even get to see most of that series, let alone all of it.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:05 pm Reply with quote
The Five Killers is the project (In addition to Gonzo's version of Mardock Scramble that's in the article which I was totally hyped for, though I'm still really enjoying the current one a ton) I'll always remember being disappointed never was able to take off.

That trailer was sooo cool.

Last edited by DangerMouse on Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Simply for being a Yoshitoshi ABe series, the artist that brought us Haibane and Lain, I too would've liked to see Despera on this list.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:08 pm Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
Simply for being a Yoshitoshi ABe series, the artist that brought us Haibane and Lain, I too would've liked to see Despera on this list.

Oh yeah, good choice. Despera deserves a spot too.
sainta

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:12 pm Reply with quote
I think there was a Transformer OVA that was cancelled.

Also the new poll... what the heck!? Laughing
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:39 pm Reply with quote
I think the closest we're ever going to get to a t.A.t.U anime is the cameo/parody in Panty & Stocking. The first time I saw it I couldn't believe it, but I also didn't know there was supposed to be an anime starring them. I wonder if Gainax through that in there because of that. I mean, also in that episode they parodied Jimi Hendrix, Queen, Oasis, Nirvana, The Beatles, The Sex Pistols, and many other big time musicians/groups, and t.A.t.U just doesn't really fit.

Last edited by The King of Harts on Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DRWii

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:39 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Appleseed XIII only had three episodes released (out of a dozen) before the whole project went under in a cloud of bankruptcy...So we didn't even get to see most of that series, let alone all of it.

All 13 episodes are on Hulu. Although I could only sit through the first 2.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Lynzee, not to pick at every little thing, but you should proofread your typing a bit. You have some mistakes here and there, like "lay off", not "lay of". And isn't it Micott? You put an l in twice for the name after spelling it right the first time.

Anyway, I would have liked to see that Gatchaman movie too. Pity, since I did enjoy the Astro Boy adaptation. Lupin VIII sounded cute too, but how typical it's always the estate that ruins everything.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:48 pm Reply with quote
DRWii wrote:
All 13 episodes are on Hulu. Although I could only sit through the first 2.

Wow, I had no idea that it had been finished. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.
StormSky92

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Ugh, why did you have to remind me that the Alive anime never happened? I'm reading the manga right now, and it's really awesome. I really wish the anime project could of happened. It would have been awesome.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:57 pm Reply with quote
zendervai wrote:
The project cancellation that I'm the most sad about was Satoshi Kon's Dream Machine.

THIS. Many times this. Oh my god yes.

I'd completely forgotten about t.A.t.U before reading this article.
vinamara

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:01 pm Reply with quote
I was very crestfallen when I learned that an Alive anime was never meant to be. It was one of the best goriest action manga I had read at the time of its release.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7