• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 6 Anime Projects That Never Took Off

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aizen-chan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:03 pm Reply with quote
zendervai wrote:
The project cancellation that I'm the most sad about was Satoshi Kon's Dream Machine.

GAH. Here's one I would like to see in any form, even if it's incomplete. Even if they take what's already been animated and hack it together with cheaper animation. Or get the best clips and put them as an extra on a Blue Ray of one of Kon's other films. To at least see what could have been!
manhiem

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:16 pm Reply with quote
I find it interesting that the harem choices did not include the "sickly girl" or the "comatose girl". Of course, those appear to be specialties of Visual Arts/Key, so maybe they don't appear often enough to be considered "types"
crazychild

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:19 pm Reply with quote
I was always disappointed that Steamboy 2/Steamgirl never happened, though not really surprised after the lukewarm reception the first film received (I recall the producers claiming it would be a huge success and practically guaranteeing an Oscar win).

I really wish Gainax had gotten to make their Route 20 film, even if the eventual manga version wasn't that interesting.
deathfromabove1993

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Blue Uru, Alive and Despara are the three I wish could've happened. Crying or Very sad
tcdelaney

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:37 pm Reply with quote
How long have we been waiting for James Cameron to do Battle Angel (Gunnm)? At this point it's been pushed back to behind 2 Avatar sequels ...

Bookworm. Who is preferably also my childhood friend ...
Pleinair92

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Interestingly, there's a nearly-complete episode of Lupin VIII floating around the internet. However, the plug was pulled before any dialogue could be added, thus the "nearly".
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Nadesico 2 being canned royally ticked me of if only for the fact that the last meaningful Nadesico thing would end up being Prince of Darkness.

There was also a series that Gainax were going to do about a world where adults had disappeared called something like "Bushiroad" or similar (not to be confused with the company).
Pleinair92

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:55 pm Reply with quote
I believe there was going to be a follow-up to Giant Robo that would have answered all lingering plot threads. A combination of loss of money and the death of the original (live-action) creator killed any chances of this happening.

Or so I heard.
truemore

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:03 pm Reply with quote
ADV was supposed to get a sequel to Bubblegum Crisis 2040 made.

And there was the sequel to Stellvia that never happened as well.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Not quite sure if you considered it for your list, but there was the US version of Sailor Moon done by Saban/ToonMakers in 1993. Originally the show was designed to be a live-action/American animation venture. Quite a few of the cels have recently turned up on E-bay.

Though, after reading the parts of the script that have surfaced and seeing the animation (Mercury, a redhead, flies around the universe in a winged wheelchair Shocked ), it's probably a good thing that we received a dubbed/edited version of the original anime.
daliwahoo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:11 pm Reply with quote
that poll at the end is depressing seems like less than 20% of the people voted are actually dating some1, well then again i have a gf but she has no idea how much i'm into anime
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
Not quite sure if you considered it for your list, but there was the US version of Sailor Moon done by Saban/ToonMakers in 1993. Originally the show was designed to be a live-action/American animation venture. Quite a few of the cels have recently turned up on E-bay.

Though, after reading the parts of the script that have surfaced and seeing the animation (Mercury, a redhead, flies around the universe in a winged wheelchair Shocked ), it's probably a good thing that we received a dubbed/edited version of the original anime.
Saban had nothing to do with that and I have made it my personal mission to kick a puppy every time that mistake is made.

It is a mission I take on with a heavy heart, for I don't like kicking puppys. But the error must be punished and by punt of baby dog it must be done.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:36 pm Reply with quote
This has been my favorite The List by far. There's something fascinating to me about abandoned and failed projects.

This thread has also been depressing, because now I know about Despera, which sounds like it could have been excellent, although I can't help but find Ain's description a bit similar to some other character... what was the name... started with an L...

I'm not sad that Appleseed: Genesis wasn't made. I mean... CGI... Romanov Higa?!? Of course, nobody has anything good to say about Appleseed XIII, I don't get a very promising impression from the CGI films and I thought that the old OVA was pretty lousy.

Why is it so freakin' hard to adapt Appleseed?

I remember t.A.T.u.. Paragate. I even spontaneously remember it from time to time because of how ludicrous and skeevy it all seemed to me. I don't think that I've ever even heard any of their songs... which I do not feel obliged to correct. I'm just glad that the girls and anime have moved on. I wonder what the Hell is was supposed to be about anyway.

I'm secretly a little glad that Gonzo never made Mardock Scramble. I liked the first film that GoHands made, could stand the second and have hopes for the third. It's a slightly dicey property and I just don't think that I could have trusted the studio that brought us Speed Grapher and Dragonaut: The Resonance with it.

Mutineer's Moon. Heh heh.

I was slightly taken aback by the poll, but I admit that I'm curious to see what comes of it.

Mylene wrote:
As for the harem, quiet bookworm would be my choice.

Likewise for me. It wasn't much of a contest in the end, if I must be 'choosing', somebody who can empathize with my own anxieties and whom I could have an interesting conversation with is best. The sporty 'genki' girl might be fun, but probably a bit dull and frustrating in the long run.

Frankly, the only possible real competitor might have been a Tomboy type, although if you could somehow combine the two..

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:25 pm; edited 5 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Don't forget Bubblegum Crisis: Tokyo 2041, a sequel to Bubblegum Crisis: Tokyo 2040.

Actually, yeah, forget it. It never made it past a name. Would have liked to seen how a naked Priss got out of that desert, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Dream Machine was formally canceled? I didn't know that. I thought they were soldiering on to get it done in some form.

The TATU anime doesn't seem that far-fetched. Didn't Daft Punk get a cool little anime a while back?

I wonder if the live-action Evangelion film would count as an anime project that never took off. ADV tried for years, trying and failing to raise the millions it'd take. They even got WETA to do some sweet concept art for it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7